Just moved to Townsville

Guest laura_flower

Guest laura_flower

Hello,

My name's Laura and I arrived in Townsville on Friday. We have moved here for my boyfriend's job and he started work on Monday. He is a chiropractor and is working from 7.30am - 6.30pm Monday to Friday. I am on my own in the day time and am trying to find us somewhere to live and get myself a job too.

I know it's early days but i am finding it really hard at the moment. Townsville looks like a lovely place and one minute I am really happy and proud of myself for being here and the next I am sad and lonely and want to go home already!

Does everyone feel like this at first????

Guest jpearse

Hi Laura,

You are not alone. I don't think there is anyone who has made the move that doesn't feel like this at some point. I had spent many years in Oz before but coming back this time after 6 years away and with kids has made is very different and I too have been very homesick at points. We have been here 6 months now and I still think about the UK a lot but would not want to live there so I am making the most of what is here and looking to the future. I also think at the beginning when you're having to sort out housing and stuff and not knowing where anything is this all makes it difficult. Soon things will feel more familiar and you'll start to feel settled i'm sure. I have some friends who live in Townsville and they love it up there.

Not sure if you like diving or snorkelling but just think, you've got the Great Barrier reef on your doorstep!

Good luck and stick with it!

Guest Jackie Roberts

Hiya Laura,

This is my second attempt to put this post on your thread,It was out on the first day only to be taken off the day after(I don't think I said anything to offend!!!)

Well done you for making the move,I know it must be very stressful at the moment especially with there just being the two of you, but I hope when you find a house and a job it may give you something to focus on.We are just going through the stresses of selling our house,we hopefully have a buyer who needs to be in very quickley so we might be in Townsville by the end of August (stopping in Perth first).So then I will be in the same position as you,it is a scary thought but I am sure that it will get easier as time passes.

Please don't be sad you have every right to be proud of what you have done and I am sure that other people reading this will agree with me

Take care, Jackie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SashA

Hi Laura

I have just found this site - this is my first post!

I am currently preparing to move to Townsville in the first week in July, when I will be in a very similar situation to you. My boyfriend also has a job in Townsville (which he started this week), and I will be joining him out there. I will also be house-hunting for us both and looking for a job when I arrive... I am excited about the move, but also quite nervous and not looking forward to saying goodbye to family and friends. I'm sure I will be feeling exactly like you in about a month! So, it would be great to hear from you about your experiences and how you're finding things.

I hope you're feeling a bit better about it all now. Well done on getting so far.

Sasha

Guest miss m

Hi

I am moving to Townsville too. Hopefully in September. There is another girl on here going later this year called Helen. We are both going alone. She has family there but I will on know the girl I will be sharing a house with. I have spoken by email to a girl I will be working with. Other than that I will know no one either.

We should arrange a get together for later in year when we are all there.

What do you do? I am a Podiatrist with a job offer and am in the process of applying for a RSMS visa, but the Aussie post is driving me mad, been waiting for a letter to arrive for 2.5 weeks now!

I want to book my flight and get there now, i t looks a beautiful place (never been, closest I went was Cairns in 2001)

Once you get work I am sure you will make friends.

Guest laura_flower

Hello,

Thank you for all the lovely replies to my thread...

I have been in Townsville 3 weeks now and it's great! I feel much happier. We have just moved into a little flat on the strand and I am settling in a bit more.

I have been working mostly with homeless families in Portsmouth before i came here and might be working in a similar field here too ( i find out about a couple of jobs next week).

I think that i am going to start to learn to sail next week (evening sailing is free with a local sailing club) and will hopefully be joining the surf club too. It shouldn't be too long before i start meeting people I hope!

A meet up later in the year sound like a great plan...

Archived