Visa info for kids who are over 18

glitters73

Hi everyone, :smile:my wife and I are planning to move over to aussi in the near future as a new nurse and occupational therapist, but I also have dual nationality. My wife's kids however I think will need visas, buut how does it work if we are both not a citizen. Can anyone help?

Hi everyone, :smile:my wife and I are planning to move over to aussi in the near future as a new nurse and occupational therapist, but I also have dual nationality. My wife's kids however I think will need visas, buut how does it work if we are both not a citizen. Can anyone help?

Tricky one but I would think that because they are over 18 and not dependents (ie they can get jobs etc etc) then they have to meet the requirements for the said visa.

I am sure someone who is more experienced in this field will come along shortly and give you some better advice! Good luck!

Your wife will need a Spouse Visa and the children go on it as dependents - as long as they ARE dependents. Otherwise they will need to qualify for their own visas. How old are they? Are they at school? And if they are youngsters, do you have their father's permission to remove them from the country.

At the moment two are at home with us, the eldest works part time in retail. The other son has just quit the arm, so he could be back too if he doesn't get a new job lol it's all a bit of a mush mash. But need to know what we need when we start the process. I have a passport so I know I'm ok and my wife will be a reg nurse in a year.

So when exactly are you planning on moving to Australia? Assuming that your daughter is about to go to university (3 years minimum).

As for the son - he's not really dependent. He's had a career, been independent.

The other daughter has a part time job. She's most likely seen as independent.

The way I see it - if you're not under 18 and not in full time education - you're not a dependent.

I'm sorry but it's most likely that they will have to find their own visas

There will be someone that will come along with a lot more experience than myself who will more than likely have a better insight into your situation.

It may be worth consulting with a migration agent to explore all options

I doubt the older 2 will qualify for going on the application. They will most likely need to obtain visas on their own if they are able.

The youngest may be able to but you need to research this some more to be sure. Dependant doesn't mean living at home but working and earning a wage.

Your wife can either go down the partner route. Or the skilled migration route. The skilled might be slightly better as it is slightly cheaper and probably quicker.

However, the children are much more of an issue. I would speak to a good registered migration agent such as Go Matilda.

The one about to go to university can probably go on the application without too much issue. I would say no chance for the one that has just returned to the home after being in the army and unlikely that the one working part time in retail could be considered a dependent too, but the exact nature of the situation would need to be looked at.

Thanks for info, maybe they need to go the working visa holiday route to start with.

Make sure you check all this out before you get the WHV. The WHV will slam the door shut to any chance at all there is of them being on your visa. So particularly I mean for the youngest one and I would even check out the situation for the one living at home as well before you get a WHV.

I know someone who has been through something similar. Over 18's are not seen as dependants unless they are at uni. Even if they have never had a job, they are not dependant as they can get a job or benefits. The person in question has spent a lot of time trying to get a visa, including using an agent. Visa was rejected. If you or anyone does manage it, I would be keen to know how. Sorry it is probably not what you want to hear.

Thanks for info, maybe they need to go the working visa holiday route to start with.

What others have said, be very careful doing this.

The whole dependant thing may very well be shut to them if they do this.

Also, a WHV is no use for entry to long term living in Aus should they go that route eventually. They need the skills or qualifications to gain a visa in their own right if they wish to remain in Aus. Also whatever it is they are skilled in needs to be on the list in the first place.

I'd consult (and possibly take them on) a reputable migration agent to discuss the dependant route and ensure in the meantime they don't do anything to stuff that up (like leaving home to live with mates or getting a full time job and leaving education or some such).