Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot - OCCUPATION REMOVED July 2017

CaptainR

Good day to all,

I am planning to apply to AMSA for migration skill assessment as Ship Master (ANZSCO 231213). I am currently working ashore in a shipping company as Superintendent since I stopped sailing in early 2014. Will AMSA accept my superintendent experience as closely related occupation for the skill assessment for me to have minimum 8 years experience out of last 10 years? Highly appreciate your suggestions.

Kind regards,

Mariner

Thanks Captain C for your prompt reply. Let's hope for the best!

CapainC, any suggestions how to present superintendent experience to AMSA for the skill assessment as AMSA 12 form only have section with option to fill up the sea service details? Thank you.

Edited by Mariner

Good day to all,

I am planning to apply to AMSA for migration skill assessment as Ship Master (ANZSCO 231213). I am currently working ashore in a shipping company as Superintendent since I stopped sailing in early 2014. Will AMSA accept my superintendent experience as closely related occupation for the skill assessment for me to have minimum 8 years experience out of last 10 years? Highly appreciate your suggestions.

Kind regards,

Mariner

Hi Mariner,

I had a similar case as yours, have been ashore since early 2013 as a supt. For some reason I did not think it was necessary to add my shore experience, probably assuming that AMSA was only assessed sailing exp. However, later in one of my communications when inquiring if I could include, I was advised to provide all necessary information and documents that i thought was related to the nominated occupation; a very vague response though. I dint care to follow up on this any further. To my surprise the assessment I received certified me for 8 years of experience. Having sailed from Sep-2006 to Oct-2012, for sure I was not out at sea for more than 6 years. I received the letter in July last year, which is almost 9 years since I joined sea. ; so by the looks of it they included my shore experience as well.

You probably may want to call them first.

Hello captain,

Thanks for the detailed information on migration for sea farers. If you can please clarify few things.

I m an engineer from India sailing on oil product tankers as a 3rd engineer with total sea experience of 24 months. (Including junior engineer etc). For purpose of showing my professional experience do I only show sea time or the time I have been with my company?

Will my current job hold good for visa and pr application purposes? (Showing them that I already have a job but from a non Aussie company)

Financial requirement?

How's the market for engineers in Australia?

CaptainC, CaptainR,

I got an assessment letter for Watchkeeper Deck, indicating eligibility to sit for oral and medical exams at AMSA. I have been assigned a Seafarer ID.

Do I simply call the appropriate exam centre by telephone and book the exam ?

Or do I need anything else to do before that?

Gday all

I'm looking to move permanently to oz. been there for 2 years under working holiday 7 years ago and worked on tourist boats.

and looking now to move under the ship officer/master visa. ive been in contact with amsa and as you all know they are not always the most helpful.

I'm unfortunately not as highly qualified as some of you. but have my mca master 200gt/OOW 500 unlimited and almost all OOW unlimited Certs and doing my blended learning Nautical Science degree. I'm working at the moment as a master on the offshore oil & gas and wind on multiple vessels, multi cat and mono hull on the North Sea.

those anyway know if i have any chance getting in with these certs or is it to low?

much appreciated.

Hello captain,

Thanks for the detailed information on migration for sea farers. If you can please clarify few things.

I m an engineer from India sailing on oil product tankers as a 3rd engineer with total sea experience of 24 months. (Including junior engineer etc). For purpose of showing my professional experience do I only show sea time or the time I have been with my company?

Will my current job hold good for visa and pr application purposes? (Showing them that I already have a job but from a non Aussie company)

Financial requirement?

How's the market for engineers in Australia?

For experience you count all employment, ie when you signed the contract to when you ended your employment, including any owed leave periods.

Your current job will be ok for the migration process.

No financial requirement although the whole process is expensive, you do not need to prove you have available funds.

The market is steadily declining, there is a fair number of seafarers out of work since the oil and gas market took a tumble in recent months.

Gday all

I'm looking to move permanently to oz. been there for 2 years under working holiday 7 years ago and worked on tourist boats.

and looking now to move under the ship officer/master visa. ive been in contact with amsa and as you all know they are not always the most helpful.

I'm unfortunately not as highly qualified as some of you. but have my mca master 200gt/OOW 500 unlimited and almost all OOW unlimited Certs and doing my blended learning Nautical Science degree. I'm working at the moment as a master on the offshore oil & gas and wind on multiple vessels, multi cat and mono hull on the North Sea.

those anyway know if i have any chance getting in with these certs or is it to low?

much appreciated.

I'm not too sure how it works for the restricted tickets, so I couldn't advise. But once you have OOW Unlimited I don't foresee a problem.

If you wanted to you could complete the form for migration skills assessment now and see what AMSA come back with. Will cost you a few quid, but might be worth it to see where you stand.

How long have you got to go, to get your OOW unlimited?

From my experience it is true that AMSA only recognizes Foreign Going Qualifications and you might have a problem with restricted tickets. I have only been dealt with because I currently hold a master 24m.

The best advice I would give is to look on the AMSA website and see if your qualification is the equivalent to what they require for skilled migration purposes.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Captain C,

I was searching the internet for Aussie PR related queries and out of the blue I came across this amazing forum. Really Hats off to you and Captain R for putting so much of effort. I obtained my masters COC (unlimited) MCGA Uk, last year and am very much interested in initiating the process. Infact I started contacting my previous employers for seatime letters also but alas !! they are not issuing the letter in the same format as u have mentioned in the drop box. So I fear I might loose those valuable 5 points for my sea service (5 out of 10) instead of (8 out of 10). Moreover that GMDSS and continued onboard training remark (as mentioned by you) is also not there in the letter. Kindly suggest shall I go ahead with my application or this may cause some trouble.... i mean objection by AMSA during my sea time assessment.

Another thing is my Masters COC is issued by UK maritime and Coastguard agency, where as my GMDSS is issued by government of India, will that cause any conflict ?? I had appeared in IELTS last year and scored band 8 in all except writing , where i scored 6.5, my local agent says I wont get any points bcoz of that and suggests me to appear of a new test called PTE which is recognised by Aussie immigration authorities. As its a computer based test so chances of scoring high marks are much more in this.

Your expert advice in all these matters are awaited.........

regards

Sid

Dear Captain C,

I was searching the internet for Aussie PR related queries and out of the blue I came across this amazing forum. Really Hats off to you and Captain R for putting so much of effort. I obtained my masters COC (unlimited) MCGA Uk, last year and am very much interested in initiating the process. Infact I started contacting my previous employers for seatime letters also but alas !! they are not issuing the letter in the same format as u have mentioned in the drop box. So I fear I might loose those valuable 5 points for my sea service (5 out of 10) instead of (8 out of 10). Moreover that GMDSS and continued onboard training remark (as mentioned by you) is also not there in the letter. Kindly suggest shall I go ahead with my application or this may cause some trouble.... i mean objection by AMSA during my sea time assessment.

Another thing is my Masters COC is issued by UK maritime and Coastguard agency, where as my GMDSS is issued by government of India, will that cause any conflict ?? I had appeared in IELTS last year and scored band 8 in all except writing , where i scored 6.5, my local agent says I wont get any points bcoz of that and suggests me to appear of a new test called PTE which is recognised by Aussie immigration authorities. As its a computer based test so chances of scoring high marks are much more in this.

Your expert advice in all these matters are awaited.........

regards

Sid

First of all welcome, Sid.

The sample letter is not definitive and in fact one of my prior employers didn't provide all of the information as requested by AMSA, despite me asking them to do so, but it still got through. Also I don't think that any of the letters mentioned anything about GMDSS, so don't worry too much about it, but do try to make your skills assessment application as complete as possible.

The Indian GMDSS that you hold should be ok, I'm pretty sure that AMSA recognise them.

The only way to see what experience level AMSA says that you have is to submit the documents to them and see what they come back with. I'm betting that you'll get the full 8 out of 10years as long as you can back up with certificates of discharge or Discharge book

I can't comment personally on the PTE test, but from what I've heard it is far superior to the IELTS, and is well worth taking. The results come back quicker, and the marking appears fairer. It's not necessarily an easier test though.

Best of luck and don't hesitate to ask anything if you're unsure.

Dear Captain C,

Previous reply which I typed got erased ( i dont know how ) but thanks for the morale boosters. I have already received seatime letter from one of my previous employers and the other one I am deliberately delaying for another 10,12 days, so as to get full 8 years total in last 10 years. Regarding English proficiency I was thinking of having a go at PTE instead of IELTS this time.

While going through orals questions in the drop box, i realized AMSA surveyors are very thorough, inspite of the fact oral examination is not for COC but for COR. Last year while preparing for UK masters COC at South Tyneside College it was a different story altogether with regular prepatory classes, group discussions with classmates and so many past question sets. But here it looks like entering totally uncharted territory.

Anywayz looks like I am jumping the gun here, must go step by step. Will go through AMSA website in detail, so that I dont miss any nitty gritty in a hurry. Will contact you for further guidance once I get the employment letter and initiate the process.

regards

Sid007

Edited by Sid007

Dear Captain C,

Previous reply which I typed got erased ( i dont know how ) but thanks for the morale boosters. I have already received seatime letter from one of my previous company and the other one I am deliberately delaying for another 10,12 days, so as to get full 8 years total in last 10 years. Regarding English proficiency I was thinking of having a go at PTE instead of IELTS this time.

While going through orals questions in the drop box, i realized AMSA surveyors are very thorough, inspite of the fact oral examination is not for COC but for COR. Last year while preparing for UK masters COC at South Tyneside College it was a different story altogether with regular prepatory classes, group discussions with classmates and so many past question sets. But here it looks like entering totally uncharted territory.

Anywayz looks like I am jumping the gun here, must go step by step. Will go through AMSA website in detail, so that I dont miss any nitty gritty in hurry.

regards

Sid007

Absolutely, it's not something to be taken lightly. I'd been sailing as Master for some years and I still got the full treatment.

A lot of people fall into the trap of just learning the Australian legislation. While it is very important to know, they want to see your all round competency as well.

You'll need to structure your answers while quoting Marine Orders, much like your MCA Orals where you demonstrated that you were familiar with M Notices. Also don't neglect the OH&S regulations, and also be fully aware of MASTREP, and ways to receive MSI's. Remembering that NAVTEX is not available on the Aus coast.

I found that getting hold of AHP20 helped an awful lot. You can buy it from most chart agents.

Dear Captain C,

Thanks for the information, you are right they want to see all round competency. Also I am trying to get hold of AHP20. Another thing is while going through broder.gov website I found this bit of information ''''''******** [h=3]What if I have been working on a ship?[/h]If you have spent a cumulative total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years working for the same employer on a merchant ship, cruise ship, private yacht or oil rig, you should request a police certificate from the relevant authority in the country under whose flag the ship sails, or country of ownership of the rig.

You will also need to provide a letter or statement of good conduct from the ship’s captain or company attesting to your character. The letter should include the vessel’s name, the job you had while on the ship or rig and the start and finish dates of employment. **********

This has caught me completely unaware, coz I have sailed on british , panama, liberian, japanese flags and getting clearance will be a herculean task moreover they also need company attested letters as statement of good conduct. I have some Sea service testimonials from Ship's captain but alas!! stopped taking them once I cleared my masters COC ( For last 2 vessels). Can you please throw some light on this issue.

Eagerly waiting for your reply

Sid007

Dear Captain C,

Thanks for the information, you are right they want to see all round competency. Also I am trying to get hold of AHP20. Another thing is while going through broder.gov website I found this bit of information ''''''******** What if I have been working on a ship?

If you have spent a cumulative total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years working for the same employer on a merchant ship, cruise ship, private yacht or oil rig, you should request a police certificate from the relevant authority in the country under whose flag the ship sails, or country of ownership of the rig.

You will also need to provide a letter or statement of good conduct from the ship’s captain or company attesting to your character. The letter should include the vessel’s name, the job you had while on the ship or rig and the start and finish dates of employment. **********

This has caught me completely unaware, coz I have sailed on british , panama, liberian, japanese flags and getting clearance will be a herculean task moreover they also need company attested letters as statement of good conduct. I have some Sea service testimonials from Ship's captain but alas!! stopped taking them once I cleared my masters COC ( For last 2 vessels). Can you please throw some light on this issue.

Eagerly waiting for your reply

Sid007

Myra unfortunately that is also a requirement, I recommend you start in the first few posts of this thread, move onto the old thread and try to see what other people have done (yes, I know, it's a lot of reading). Some flag states may issue something, but most won't, however you will need that in writing, and will need to produce certified statements to that effect. You have a long and slow process ahead of you, but I'm sure if you are determined it will be okay.

CaptainC and myself started these threads after finding so little guidance and support for seafarers in the process. Unfortunately, I also have to mention that work is limited here at the moment, and it seems like every job has a mountain of eligible applicants.

Dear Captain R,

You are correct...... its indeed a very slow process where I am finding new hurdles after every step. To add insult to injury, australian economy is going through recession and like you said work / job opportunities are very limited at the moment. I am nearing 38 so thought its better to have a go at it, coz I will be loosing more points next year due to the age.

I will go through the old thread also to get some info as to how others have managed to get this flag state clearance / ceritified statements. Determination is Ok, but the zeal just fizzes out sometimes, when I realize its very tough for mariners as compared to people from other fields. Really Sir, it gets frustrating sometimes, even the AMSA website is like a Jigsaw puzzle. Thank heavens I found this thread otherwise since last one month I was like Alice in wonderland. All the immigration agents i have contacted are after their commission only and dont have indepth knowledge of our line. What I have figured out till date is :----

1. Get Sea time / Employment letters from previous companies . ( A tedious task/ coz old companies dont show interest in emlploys who have left and present employer asks too many question coz they fear you might leave them.)

2. Pay the fee and get the Skill asssessment done by AMSA.

3. Pay the fee and book your orals.

4. Fill up all the forms to get COR for GMDSS also.

5. All STCW courses to be updated as per 2010. (My COC is expiring after dec 2016)

6. Medical test before the orals.

7. Clear the orals. ( Had goosebumps after going through the sets in the drop box, unlike MCA orals, theres no pattern, no hot topics, just random questions. Seriously thinking of taking some prep classes , otherwise spending all the money , flying all the way, medicals....... oh boy !! Arsenal had more chances of beating Barcelona last night as compared to me clearing orals .......)

8. IELTS or PTE ( I had appeared in IELTS last year and got listening: 8, Reading:9, Speaking 7.5, Writing 6.5 and my agent told I wont be getting any points . So I was thinking of having a go at PTE this time, coz the public opinion is its not easy but the markings are quite fare as compared to IELTS. In our forum also theres a fantastic thread on this subject)

9. Get Police clearance..... ( Another Monster waiting to get his share........ Just imagine the plight of a person who after clearing all the previous steps get stuck here!! // anywayz tonight I will try to go through all the posts (probably 1000 of them) to find a solution to this , coz getting a reply from panamian, liberian , japanese flag states in itself is mission altogather.))

Well Captain R, this is what I have figured out so far, the odds are heavily stacked against us.

Still I was thinking of initiating the process coz next year I wont qualify bcoz of the points (age bracket).

By the way Sir, Is there any agency who has done all this paperwork for a seafarer and can guide me also ?? My local agent here is useless, I beleive i have gathered more information from the forum than from him.

Just wanted to give vent to my feelings, thats why wrote all this.

Your and captain C's comments are eagerly awaited.

Kind regards

Sid007

Dear Captain R,

You are correct...... its indeed a very slow process where I am finding new hurdles after every step. To add insult to injury, australian economy is going through recession and like you said work / job opportunities are very limited at the moment. I am nearing 38 so thought its better to have a go at it, coz I will be loosing more points next year due to the age.

I will go through the old thread also to get some info as to how others have managed to get this flag state clearance / ceritified statements. Determination is Ok, but the zeal just fizzes out sometimes, when I realize its very tough for mariners as compared to people from other fields. Really Sir, it gets frustrating sometimes, even the AMSA website is like a Jigsaw puzzle. Thank heavens I found this thread otherwise since last one month I was like Alice in wonderland. All the immigration agents i have contacted are after their commission only and dont have indepth knowledge of our line. What I have figured out till date is :----

1. Get Sea time / Employment letters from previous companies . ( A tedious task/ coz old companies dont show interest in emlploys who have left and present employer asks too many question coz they fear you might leave them.)

2. Pay the fee and get the Skill asssessment done by AMSA.

3. Pay the fee and book your orals.

4. Fill up all the forms to get COR for GMDSS also.

5. All STCW courses to be updated as per 2010. (My COC is expiring after dec 2016)

6. Medical test before the orals.

7. Clear the orals. ( Had goosebumps after going through the sets in the drop box, unlike MCA orals, theres no pattern, no hot topics, just random questions. Seriously thinking of taking some prep classes , otherwise spending all the money , flying all the way, medicals....... oh boy !! Arsenal had more chances of beating Barcelona last night as compared to me clearing orals .......)

8. IELTS or PTE ( I had appeared in IELTS last year and got listening: 8, Reading:9, Speaking 7.5, Writing 6.5 and my agent told I wont be getting any points . So I was thinking of having a go at PTE this time, coz the public opinion is its not easy but the markings are quite fare as compared to IELTS. In our forum also theres a fantastic thread on this subject)

9. Get Police clearance..... ( Another Monster waiting to get his share........ Just imagine the plight of a person who after clearing all the previous steps get stuck here!! // anywayz tonight I will try to go through all the posts (probably 1000 of them) to find a solution to this , coz getting a reply from panamian, liberian , japanese flag states in itself is mission altogather.))

Well Captain R, this is what I have figured out so far, the odds are heavily stacked against us.

Still I was thinking of initiating the process coz next year I wont qualify bcoz of the points (age bracket).

By the way Sir, Is there any agency who has done all this paperwork for a seafarer and can guide me also ?? My local agent here is useless, I beleive i have gathered more information from the forum than from him.

Just wanted to give vent to my feelings, thats why wrote all this.

Your and captain C's comments are eagerly awaited.

Kind regards

Sid007

It's not an easy or quick process. With regards to the Police Clearances, start making enquiries on these now, as it can be a long process to get them.

Also remember that the PCC, lasts only 1 year. So bear that in mind.

You only need the foreign PCC for countries whose flagged ships you have sailed on for 12 months in total, so if you've only done 11 months on the Panamanian flag, don't bother getting the PCC, you won't need it.

You need to be able to prove to the department that you have exhausted ALL efforts to obtain a PCC before you can apply for a waiver from the requirements. It's not an easy task, but with this, nothing is.