Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot - OCCUPATION REMOVED July 2017

CaptainR

I heard that Ship's Master will be removed from the Skilled occupation list. This news was given to me by a Captain working in Melbourne. So friends, find out and apply as early as possible.

Just saw this post. The Ship's Officer/Master is not likely to be removed, as an occupation would have be on the list of flagged occupations first.

See the flagged list here > https://www.education.gov.au/flagged-occupations-sol-2015-2016

The ships officer/master not being likely to be removed is a relief as I'm currently in the process of applying for my skills assessment. I have had a vebal agreement on a job but have to wait until my pr is through. The company are more than happy to employ me but we're not willing to sponsor me on. Frustrating to say the least but it is what it is.

I have ielts next week and have been revising as the 8 band score would give me an extra 10 points and most probably give me a better chance of receiving an invite quicker.

If somebody could please advise me on whether AMSA will recognise qualifications as mine are the equivalent to that of a diploma, If this is not the case will i need to submit an application to vetasses.

Further to that i also have an engineers licence that is used for my occupation and will AMSA recognise this as the extra 10 points would be helpful

If somebody could please advise me on whether AMSA will recognise qualifications as mine are the equivalent to that of a diploma, If this is not the case will i need to submit an application to vetasses.

Further to that i also have an engineers licence that is used for my occupation and will AMSA recognise this as the extra 10 points would be helpful

What qualifications do you have, and who are they issued by?

Hello CaptainC.

I currently hold a Skipper Grade 3 And Marine Engine Driver Grade 3 issued by Queensland Government. I was informed by one of the senior assessors at AMSA to apply for a Master 24m nc as they do not recognise fishing quals for skilled migration purposes. I was told by the assessor that mine was a unique case and told me to write a cover letter explaining that I had spoken to him regarding my queries. He was very helpful and informative in regards to documents and the process to gaining a positive skills assessment.

Hello CaptainC.

I currently hold a Skipper Grade 3 And Marine Engine Driver Grade 3 issued by Queensland Government. I was informed by one of the senior assessors at AMSA to apply for a Master 24m nc as they do not recognise fishing quals for skilled migration purposes. I was told by the assessor that mine was a unique case and told me to write a cover letter explaining that I had spoken to him regarding my queries. He was very helpful and informative in regards to documents and the process to gaining a positive skills assessment.

Only AMSA can answer your question, although they'll probably charge you to answer that question (qualifications assessment). I've PMd you some contacts that might be useful.

Thankyou I received the contact details. Whereas mine are Australian Qualifications where I have already sat the oral and completed the course at great barrier marine college. AMSA recognizes this but immigration still need a skills assessment, and when I've already been assessed and have been working in the occupation as a ships master on a 457. It's very confusing as in both mine and maritime safety Queensland I should nt need the skills assessment and should be treated as domestic and commercial vessels rather than international shipping.

Just a question for you captainc as you are very helpful and informative on this forum have you known anybody else with the same situation as mine.

Just a question for you captainc as you are very helpful and informative on this forum have you known anybody else with the same situation as mine.

It's very difficult to say. I've never heard of anyone in your position yet.

I'm trying to figure out if your experience is going to be considered relevant. In an earlier post you say that you were a watchkeeper, is this a commercial vessel watchkeeper? Did you do this qualification overseas?

Edited by CaptainC

Yes it is a commercial vessel watch keeper but I have no formal qualification as you don't need one on vessels 24m and under but it is stated in my Record of Sea service which has been stamped by MSQ for registered sea time for gaining my skipper grade 3 which I have now converted to Master 24m nc under NSCV Part D.

Its very confusing why I would need a skills assessment because I have already been assessed and AMSA already recognizes my qualifications. But that's immigration because I have been told by AMSA that they are willing to write a letter confirming authenticity of my tickets yet immigration still need my skills assessed. Im my opinion the main purpose of a skills assessment is to recognize overseas qualifications and not domestic.

Yes it is a commercial vessel watch keeper but I have no formal qualification as you don't need one on vessels 24m and under but it is stated in my Record of Sea service which has been stamped by MSQ for registered sea time for gaining my skipper grade 3 which I have now converted to Master 24m nc under NSCV Part D.

Its very confusing why I would need a skills assessment because I have already been assessed and AMSA already recognizes my qualifications. But that's immigration because I have been told by AMSA that they are willing to write a letter confirming authenticity of my tickets yet immigration still need my skills assessed. Im my opinion the main purpose of a skills assessment is to recognize overseas qualifications and not domestic.

It will all be down to AMSA to provide an assessment for the purposes of migration. The only thing you can do is to apply for the assessment on AMSA form 12 and see what happens. AMSA will also make a determination on the experience that you have and it will be on your letter.

You may have to sit the AMSA Orals before they will issue a letter.

Yours is an unusual situation, but ensure that what you claim, by way of experience, can be backed up by evidence for DIBP.

You have to appreciate that a skill assessment is different to a qualification assessment, it goes beyond determining your certificate, it's also about analysing an confirming your seatime and experience to provide DIBP with an accurate letter detailing that. Nothing in the published regulations or guidance on the AMSA website explains how they determine this. I would speculatively contact the contacts I provided you with to ask whether your license would be positively assessed as suitable for the immigration skills assessment.

I have a quiery in regards to lodging an EOI, when I receive the skills assessment back from AMSA, does anybody on this forum know what the expected wait is for an invite on 65 points?? Is it relevant to the occupation or is it purely based on points??

You'll get an invitation on the next available round with 65 points. It's not based on occupation, but on points alone.

Hi Capt R

If you could possibly send me through these two to my email.

AHP20 Seafarers Handbook for Australian Waters

AMSA code of safe working practices for Australian seafarers

Your help much appreciated

Cheers

Orals Preparation

Do not underestimate how much revision you will need to do, this is no a small undertaking.

Initially you must become familiar with the AMSA website, it contains a vast amount of information.

A drop box has been setup with some of the feedback from people who have already taken the oral, please feel free to use this information for your personal use. Ensure you read the 'Read Me' file first before you use any of the documents in the Dropbox.

Once you have taken the oral examination , please send your feedback on the exam to CaptainC on the email provided in the Read Me file this will then be posted in the Dropbox and can help future candidates.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/grpoeyxt4zz59ds/AADHbSoNuTBOUpNIIj-dRmQwa?dl=0

You will need to become familiar with the following publications:

Navigation Act 2012

Occupational Health and Safety (Maritime Industry) Act 1993

AMSA Marine Notices

AMSA Marine Orders

AMSA Website (Pollution, PSC, Environmentally Sensitive Areas, MLC etc)

MARPOL

SOLAS

Hi Capt R

If you could possibly send me through these two to my email.

Your help much appreciated

Cheers

The Code of safe working practices is in the Dropbox.

AHP 20 is not available on PDF, and you'll have to buy it from a chart agent. I got one in the UK fairly easily.

• 2 weeks later...