Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot - OCCUPATION REMOVED July 2017

CaptainR

Hope everyone is doing well,

In the past there have been concerns if examinations period can be counted as work experience, below is an extract from MLC-2007/B2.4.1-Entitlement to leave/Calculation of entitlement:

"2.2. Under conditions as determined by the competent authority or in an applicable collective agreement, absence from work to

attend an approved maritime vocational training course or for such reasons as illness or injury or for maternity should be counted as part of the period of service."

This section of MLC could be quoted, if every questioned by a CO.

I've not heard of anyone getting employment reduced because of time spent at maritime college, and I definitely didn't have any issues. But, if someone does then they could attempt to use this piece of international legislation as a defence, so thanks for posting it.

It obviously would not work if a seafarer was not employed by a company during the college course. Regardless of what the MLC says, if a person is not employed, then they won't meet the DIBP employment criteria for that period.

Hi,

Im planning to migrate to Australia. I would like to know more abt the job opportunities for a chief mate or masters in Australia.

Sadly, jobs are extremely thin on the ground at the moment. A horrendous amount of people are being made redundant at this current time and the job pages are bare. Sorry.

Hi, has anyone here been able to claim 15 points for their post graduate qualifications (obtained without a bachelors). I have a MSc(Maritime studies), entry into which was based on my Class 1 coc; however, candidates without a seafaring background are required to have a bachelors. I am confused and trying to make sense of the below extract from the skill select site:

//

Bachelor Degree

To receive 15 points for having at least a Bachelor degree, you must have met the requirements for an award of Bachelor degree by an Australian educational institution or your qualification must be considered as at least comparable to a Bachelor level at Australian standards.

Note: To receive 15 points for a Masters degree, you must also have a Bachelor degree completed in Australia or overseas, or the Masters degree must be considered as at least comparable to Bachelor degree level at Australian standards.

//

I did, approach Vetassess, if they can assess to confirm my masters is at least equivalent to an australian bachelors. They would only assess if either the immigration department or our my assessing body (AMSA) refers me to them. Now this is tricky, having received my AMSA assessment, now its only the CO will refer me to VETASSESS, which would only happen after I have lodged my application and paid the visa fees. After all this, if it is assessed negatively, I the risk rejection, as my at this moment my points total to 60 with the 15 for my PG.

If anyone can shed some light on this.

cheers.

I got my Degree assessed by Vetassess without any referral from Amsa or DIBP...wanted to be safe so applied directly to Vetassess before submitting my EOI.

This was couple of years back so am not sure about Vetassess now.

• 5 weeks later...
I got my Degree assessed by Vetassess without any referral from Amsa or DIBP...wanted to be safe so applied directly to Vetassess before submitting my EOI.

This was couple of years back so am not sure about Vetassess now.

Hi Fernz1407,

I got my Masters assessed by Vetassess, received the outcome yesterday. It says My HND is comparable to the educational level of an AQF Advanced Diploma, and MSc (without Bachelors) is comparable to an AQF Master Degree. Does this mean I can now claim 15 points for qualifications.

Now that I had already submitted my EOI in Oct, should amend the existing one, or delete it and re-submit a new one??

I remember someone mention, the EOI should be only after all the assessments are done - AMSA, Vetassess etc.

Request inputs from any other members reading.

Cheers

Great dnp!

You can amend your EOI, or withdraw and re submit.

Cheers.

Hi Fernz1407,

I got my Masters assessed by Vetassess, received the outcome yesterday. It says My HND is comparable to the educational level of an AQF Advanced Diploma, and MSc (without Bachelors) is comparable to an AQF Master Degree. Does this mean I can now claim 15 points for qualifications.

Now that I had already submitted my EOI in Oct, should amend the existing one, or delete it and re-submit a new one??

I remember someone mention, the EOI should be only after all the assessments are done - AMSA, Vetassess etc.

Request inputs from any other members reading.

Cheers

hi,

thats my first post on board, i am 28 years old , not deck officer but engine room engineer, but i have found this topic very helpful with plenty informations..

last 6 years i'v been working offshore from engine cadet through 3rd/2nd eng. 5 years experience like 3rd eng/2nd eng. Holding C/E unlimited, all industry courses(bosiet, dp maintenance etc...), experience on DSV, floatels, pipelaying, ahts,psv all dp2/dp3.

1. How are my chances to get a job now in engine room? I know times are tough but I would consider even yacht, ferry, tug jobs, or even some shore side position.

2. I am not going through skilled migration, but on partner visa, my miss is on process to get sponsored visa and I will be connnected to her applications, with full rights to work in australia,

and my question is if companies want AMSA ticket strictly or my international ticket will be enough? I was thinking only about doing local medical examinations, anyway i cannot doing AMSA assesment because i am holding european C/E unlimited but my country is not on AMSA list, but i have few friends working there on 457 visas, so looks like it possible....?

Cheers

MArtin

CaptainC, CaptainR,

Good Day,

I have received a letter of Assessment from AMSA which states that

- I need to appear for AMSA Oral Exams in Australia

- Medical Exam in Aus

It states (which is my concern):

- Seafarers with CoC expiring after 31/12/2016 should provide evidence of continued competence refresher course for Advanced Fire Fighting and proficiency in surviv craft.

I received this letter on 11/11/2015

My Indian CoC (stcw95) was issued on 10/June/2011

And it expires on 17/Apr/2016.

My Indian GMDSS is valid until Year 2021 and Indian Endorsement for GMDSS is valid until 11/July/2016

My query to you:

1. I will be able to appear for these medical and oral exams in Australia not before Feb 2016.

Will that be a problem keeping in mind the expiry date of my CoC, the STCW 95 and/or 2010 Requirements, and continued competence?

2. If it is safe and accepted to appear for exams in Feb 2016, when should I book the exams?

Your guidance will be much appreciated,

Thanks

hi,

thats my first post on board, i am 28 years old , not deck officer but engine room engineer, but i have found this topic very helpful with plenty informations..

last 6 years i'v been working offshore from engine cadet through 3rd/2nd eng. 5 years experience like 3rd eng/2nd eng. Holding C/E unlimited, all industry courses(bosiet, dp maintenance etc...), experience on DSV, floatels, pipelaying, ahts,psv all dp2/dp3.

1. How are my chances to get a job now in engine room? I know times are tough but I would consider even yacht, ferry, tug jobs, or even some shore side position.

2. I am not going through skilled migration, but on partner visa, my miss is on process to get sponsored visa and I will be connnected to her applications, with full rights to work in australia,

and my question is if companies want AMSA ticket strictly or my international ticket will be enough? I was thinking only about doing local medical examinations, anyway i cannot doing AMSA assesment because i am holding european C/E unlimited but my country is not on AMSA list, but i have few friends working there on 457 visas, so looks like it possible....?

Cheers

MArtin

Hi Martin,

Difficult to tell you about possibilities for engineers as its not my area of expertise. So I would suggest starting a new thread for anything specifically related to marine engineering. In the meantime I'll address some of the general queries.

1. A lot of seafarers are out of work at the present moment, so it's not easy to find a job, although you can find work deep sea easily enough.

2. If your certificate isn't recognised then you will not be able to be employed aboard Australian registered ships unless you can obtain an AMSA certificate, which may entail going through a full course. International certificates are generally accepted by foreign companies, but Australian companies will most likely insist on Australian certificates whether or not their ships are registered there.

It may be worth asking the friends that are on 457's for advice regarding employment.

CaptainC, CaptainR,

Good Day,

I have received a letter of Assessment from AMSA which states that

- I need to appear for AMSA Oral Exams in Australia

- Medical Exam in Aus

It states (which is my concern):

- Seafarers with CoC expiring after 31/12/2016 should provide evidence of continued competence refresher course for Advanced Fire Fighting and proficiency in surviv craft.

I received this letter on 11/11/2015

My Indian CoC (stcw95) was issued on 10/June/2011

And it expires on 17/Apr/2016.

My Indian GMDSS is valid until Year 2021 and Indian Endorsement for GMDSS is valid until 11/July/2016

My query to you:

1. I will be able to appear for these medical and oral exams in Australia not before Feb 2016.

Will that be a problem keeping in mind the expiry date of my CoC, the STCW 95 and/or 2010 Requirements, and continued competence?

2. If it is safe and accepted to appear for exams in Feb 2016, when should I book the exams?

Your guidance will be much appreciated,

Thanks

I'm really not sure what your question is. You need to travel to australia to take the oral exam, and you need a valid certificate of competency to do so.

If you attempt to sit the Orals after your certificate has expired then you may not be eligible for the examination.

Id recommend doing the STCW 2010 continued competence and revalidate your Indian CoC, and then book the oral once you have it.

CaptainC,

Well understood. However, just wanted to clarify if I could use the remaining validity of my Indian CoC and appear for AmSA Orals in Feb2016.

But it seems as it would not be a good idea to sit for orals in Feb while my CoC expires in Apr.

Hi Martin,

Difficult to tell you about possibilities for engineers as its not my area of expertise. So I would suggest starting a new thread for anything specifically related to marine engineering. In the meantime I'll address some of the general queries.

1. A lot of seafarers are out of work at the present moment, so it's not easy to find a job, although you can find work deep sea easily enough.

2. If your certificate isn't recognised then you will not be able to be employed aboard Australian registered ships unless you can obtain an AMSA certificate, which may entail going through a full course. International certificates are generally accepted by foreign companies, but Australian companies will most likely insist on Australian certificates whether or not their ships are registered there.

It may be worth asking the friends that are on 457's for advice regarding employment.

They have been employed because offshore vessel was temporary in australia, so company decided to keep some of the crew on 457 visa.

1. Work on deep sea vessels is on australian conditions? What salary is approximately for 3/2nd eng on deepp sea going vessel? at the moment everywhere in the world there is not much work in offshore, a lot of guys stay at home witout job. I know some of the agencies for offshore jobs in australia, what about deep sea? do you know any directions where i can look?

2. Like i mentioned i cannot go through AMSA process because my country is not on their list, and i already have c/e unlimited licence so difficult to start everything from beggining. Hopefuly can find work on non australian registered vessel and use my international certificate adn company do not insist on AMSA certificate.

They have been employed because offshore vessel was temporary in australia, so company decided to keep some of the crew on 457 visa.

1. Work on deep sea vessels is on australian conditions? What salary is approximately for 3/2nd eng on deepp sea going vessel? at the moment everywhere in the world there is not much work in offshore, a lot of guys stay at home witout job. I know some of the agencies for offshore jobs in australia, what about deep sea? do you know any directions where i can look?

2. Like i mentioned i cannot go through AMSA process because my country is not on their list, and i already have c/e unlimited licence so difficult to start everything from beggining. Hopefuly can find work on non australian registered vessel and use my international certificate adn company do not insist on AMSA certificate.

Please start a new thread with your questions or see this existing thread > http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237330

I can't help any further with specifics questions about Marine Engineers jobs or qualifications.

hi,

Cheers

MArtin

1. Times are tough in all sectors here; major union battles ongoing as the coastal/bluewater ships gradually disappear. Offshore Oil & Gas is bad, although probably slightly better then elsewhere. The thing in Australia that ships are sent back to Asia as soon as they no longer have a contract, as it's too expensive to keep them here (it's quite common at the moment for Australian crew to pick up a ship in Singapore and do a short contract here and then take it back to Singapore at the end of the swing...). Competition remains fierce for the job, although you're past experience will give you some advantages over others, and how good your English is/how well you interact with Australians/Kiwi's etc will be fairly important.

2. Holding an AMSA ticket isn't absolutely necessary, as in fact most of the ships are foreign flagged in the offshore oil and gas sector, however a lot of the companies seem to ask for it as a matter of course, and you may not get past the initial screening with some companies without it (I know, its crazy, but it is what it is). The guys on 457 visas are less and less, generally here for very specific work on certain vessels that here for short contracts, two years ago they filled a lot of gaps, now with the reduction in vessels on the coast you will find a lot of competition from the Australians and Kiwi's, including those that may have been working overseas now coming home looking for work.

The industry is going through a rough time, as I'm sure you are aware, but you will only know one you have your feet on the ground here. The companies will not even look at your CV if you aren't already in the country, and even if you are in the country you need to be ready and available for work. A trip across to Perth will probably be necessary to make a few contacts within the companies (show that you are presentable, friendly etc) and then just keep applying until you get a break.

As Capt. R mentioned, its absolutely true about Oil and gas Offshore. I'm here in Perth/ Fremantle and without job past one month. It's very quiet. Difficult to predict when this situation will change. I'm myself thinking of going in Mainfleet back for sometime. But this too isn't easy.Getting PR Visa was one thing and finding a job and rising up in Australia is another story.Im sure sooner or later something good will happen, but as of now its very frustrating. Sorry to say this, but its a fact.

Unfortunately things have taken an even worse turn today, laws appear to have been passed allowing vessels operating within Australian waters to no longer require Australian visa holders onboard.... It remains to be seen what the final outcome of this will be, but it could be the nail in the coffin for the industry here if the unions aren't able to challenge it.

Unfortunately things have taken an even worse turn today, laws appear to have been passed allowing vessels operating within Australian waters to no longer require Australian visa holders onboard.... It remains to be seen what the final outcome of this will be, but it could be the nail in the coffin for the industry here if the unions aren't able to challenge it.

Is that the migration amendment act? I thought that would have died a death after Tony Abbot went out of the door. So much for protecting Aussie jobs eh?

Is that the migration amendment act? I thought that would have died a death after Tony Abbot went out of the door. So much for protecting Aussie jobs eh?

Unfortunately as that migration amendment act was wiped out, other regulations were slipped in through the back door...

Good day Seniors

could anyone please advise me how long it takes to get the PR grant after submitting an EOI .

Impossible to say. Average is 2-3 months, some a lot quicker, some a lot slower.

Take a look at the migration forum and see what the current applicants are discussing.

• 2 weeks later...

Very useful information on this forum. A big thank you to all those who contribute.

I am currently applying for 189 skilled visa. It is a painfully hard and long process after being sponsored for the last 6 years.

I gainned my skipper grade 3 and marine engine driver grade 3 in 2013 in Australia I was informed by anda for skilled migration purposes I had to apply for a master 24m nc under nscv part D. I found amsa very good to deal with and spoke directly to one of the senior assessors.

in regards to my application can I claim for work experience before I gainned my qualifications as I was a watch keeper. And another questions is I found my previous employers very difficult in the way of employment reference I told amsa this and are happy for me to provide a stat dec. but are immigration??? Has anybody else done this. I have supporting evidence in the way of employment contracts payslips for each year worked. Tax returns and visa grant notification letter stating the company as my sponsor.

Many thoughts regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Very useful information on this forum. A big thank you to all those who contribute.

I am currently applying for 189 skilled visa. It is a painfully hard and long process after being sponsored for the last 6 years.

I gainned my skipper grade 3 and marine engine driver grade 3 in 2013 in Australia I was informed by anda for skilled migration purposes I had to apply for a master 24m nc under nscv part D. I found amsa very good to deal with and spoke directly to one of the senior assessors.

in regards to my application can I claim for work experience before I gainned my qualifications as I was a watch keeper. And another questions is I found my previous employers very difficult in the way of employment reference I told amsa this and are happy for me to provide a stat dec. but are immigration??? Has anybody else done this. I have supporting evidence in the way of employment contracts payslips for each year worked. Tax returns and visa grant notification letter stating the company as my sponsor.

Many thoughts regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Immigration are usually happy to accept a stat dec for certain things, including employment experience. You'll be in a better position if you accompany the stat dec with any additional information that you may have.

You should be able to claim the experience when you were a watchkeeper as this is is considered a closely related occupation.