register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

CaptainR

Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot - OCCUPATION REMOVED July 2017

Hi Mates ,

I am A Ship Master who recently migrated to AU based in Brisbane .

Securing a Job in Maritime Sector is an uphill task here in Au  unless you are connected .

I have been here just abt 2 Months  but nothing much happening on the Job front .

For Deep Sea fellows options are Surveying , Pilotage and Some management positions which do come up .

Some survey jobs do come you but normally gets filled up fast by networking .

Pilotage is very hard to get in unless you have considerable  pilotage experience  and again it depends on your luck .

Offshore industry is also not easy I believe as I have friends here you have not got a break in 2 years ( with Full DP License and considerable DP Experience ).

This is not to discourage anybody from applying  or moving to AU ,but just to give a good idea of how are things down under and so that can keep your options open .

Cheers

I would disagree that connections are everything for work here. However competition is strong for the vacancies that do come up, you are up against Australians (hence closing the visa route) and non-Australians with significant qualifications are experience. Certainly for the ports and pilotage jobs the companies expect you to have made prior contact and have a comprehensive and professional CV and cover letter. 'just throwing in' an application isn't going to be enough. People who I've seen move into Harbour Master roles have had significant management experience and a relevant degree. For pilots I've seen people who have self sponsored themselves through manned model and simulator courses to boost their CV (spending $20,000 to bolster their application isn't insignificant). 

https://www.thedcn.com.au/classifieds/

Posted (edited)
On 05/09/2019 at 17:16, Captain KA said:

Hi Mates ,

I am A Ship Master who recently migrated to AU based in Brisbane .

Securing a Job in Maritime Sector is an uphill task here in Au  unless you are connected .

I have been here just abt 2 Months  but nothing much happening on the Job front .

For Deep Sea fellows options are Surveying , Pilotage and Some management positions which do come up .

Some survey jobs do come you but normally gets filled up fast by networking .

Pilotage is very hard to get in unless you have considerable  pilotage experience  and again it depends on your luck .

Offshore industry is also not easy I believe as I have friends here you have not got a break in 2 years ( with Full DP License and considerable DP Experience ).

This is not to discourage anybody from applying  or moving to AU ,but just to give a good idea of how are things down under and so that can keep your options open .

Cheers

I agree,it's a waste of time to get the visa, I have given up ,you are much better off  to be in your home country,than struggling here trying to start your life all over again ,in your late or mid thirties. 

Edited by sierra

VISA 189 GRANTED 12TH SEP.15

Hey guys very much appreciate all your valuable feeds..

Am planning to appear for masters oral examination for COR, can someone pls advice whether AMSA will issue any letter for same for the visa purpose or will have to go with tourist visa.. 

Suggestions or any tips would b appreciated regarding above query and preferable oral centre for masters oral in Australia..

Thanks ..

On 01/11/2019 at 12:57, Willboy said:

Hey guys very much appreciate all your valuable feeds..

Am planning to appear for masters oral examination for COR, can someone pls advice whether AMSA will issue any letter for same for the visa purpose or will have to go with tourist visa.. 

Suggestions or any tips would b appreciated regarding above query and preferable oral centre for masters oral in Australia..

Thanks ..

Can anyone guide with Masters COR examination material ( website links,Whatsapp Groups,Telegram) apart from the checklist the examiner shall follow.Any specific inputs with regards to examinations conducted at Melbourne with regards to the surveyor will be of great help.