Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot - OCCUPATION REMOVED July 2017

CaptainR

Hi Mates ,

I am A Ship Master who recently migrated to AU based in Brisbane .

Securing a Job in Maritime Sector is an uphill task here in Au  unless you are connected .

I have been here just abt 2 Months  but nothing much happening on the Job front .

For Deep Sea fellows options are Surveying , Pilotage and Some management positions which do come up .

Some survey jobs do come you but normally gets filled up fast by networking .

Pilotage is very hard to get in unless you have considerable  pilotage experience  and again it depends on your luck .

Offshore industry is also not easy I believe as I have friends here you have not got a break in 2 years ( with Full DP License and considerable DP Experience ).

This is not to discourage anybody from applying  or moving to AU ,but just to give a good idea of how are things down under and so that can keep your options open .

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I would disagree that connections are everything for work here. However competition is strong for the vacancies that do come up, you are up against Australians (hence closing the visa route) and non-Australians with significant qualifications are experience. Certainly for the ports and pilotage jobs the companies expect you to have made prior contact and have a comprehensive and professional CV and cover letter. 'just throwing in' an application isn't going to be enough. People who I've seen move into Harbour Master roles have had significant management experience and a relevant degree. For pilots I've seen people who have self sponsored themselves through manned model and simulator courses to boost their CV (spending $20,000 to bolster their application isn't insignificant). 

https://www.thedcn.com.au/classifieds/

On 05/09/2019 at 17:16, Captain KA said:

Hi Mates ,

I am A Ship Master who recently migrated to AU based in Brisbane .

Securing a Job in Maritime Sector is an uphill task here in Au  unless you are connected .

I have been here just abt 2 Months  but nothing much happening on the Job front .

For Deep Sea fellows options are Surveying , Pilotage and Some management positions which do come up .

Some survey jobs do come you but normally gets filled up fast by networking .

Pilotage is very hard to get in unless you have considerable  pilotage experience  and again it depends on your luck .

Offshore industry is also not easy I believe as I have friends here you have not got a break in 2 years ( with Full DP License and considerable DP Experience ).

This is not to discourage anybody from applying  or moving to AU ,but just to give a good idea of how are things down under and so that can keep your options open .

Cheers

I agree,it's a waste of time to get the visa, I have given up ,you are much better off  to be in your home country,than struggling here trying to start your life all over again ,in your late or mid thirties. 

Edited by sierra

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys very much appreciate all your valuable feeds..

Am planning to appear for masters oral examination for COR, can someone pls advice whether AMSA will issue any letter for same for the visa purpose or will have to go with tourist visa.. 

Suggestions or any tips would b appreciated regarding above query and preferable oral centre for masters oral in Australia..

Thanks ..

On 01/11/2019 at 12:57, Willboy said:

Am planning to appear for masters oral examination for COR, can someone pls advice whether AMSA will issue any letter for same for the visa purpose or will have to go with tourist visa.. 

Suggestions or any tips would b appreciated regarding above query and preferable oral centre for masters oral in Australia..

Thanks ..

Can anyone guide with Masters COR examination material ( website links,Whatsapp Groups,Telegram) apart from the checklist the examiner shall follow.Any specific inputs with regards to examinations conducted at Melbourne with regards to the surveyor will be of great help.

• 1 month later...
On 02/11/2019 at 21:44, AlisMikhail said:

Can anyone guide with Masters COR examination material ( website links,Whatsapp Groups,Telegram) apart from the checklist the examiner shall follow.Any specific inputs with regards to examinations conducted at Melbourne with regards to the surveyor will be of great help.

Quite honestly, specifics on an individual surveyor or particular office are almost irrelevant. If you look through any past orals papers the questions are generally along similar lines and if you know your job well and can read through (and assimilate) the various Marine Orders and Marine Notices you will be absolutely fine. The orals in Australia do tend to include bulk cargoes (certainly more so than the UK orals I undertook) and will also cover topical issues such as low sulphur fuels. I don't know what the exams are like in other countries, but in Australia and the UK the Masters exam tends to have expectation for a confident discussion around topics such as decision making and emergency responses. This means you can't learn a rote answer, but you can expand around the topic on the basis of your experience and a logical thought process (i.e. immediate actions, secondary actions, who will you call and in what order, what are the legal implications, what are the practical implication, what are the technical implications, who can you rely on to assist you with what and how will you delegate). You for instance could be asked to talk about the use of Co2 in an Engine Room fire, what are pros and cons, consequences and situations where it might not be the best option etc. 

On 01/11/2019 at 18:27, Willboy said:

Thanks ..

Yes, they will issue a letter that you can use. It has an invite to attend orals exams in Australia. 

Edited by CaptainR

• 1 month later...
On 02/09/2019 at 14:09, sierra said:

It's almost impossible to find a job in offshore Aussie vessels,unless you have connections.

Speaking of connections....... My present employer might be looking for some additional draft surveyors. (NOT in offshore)

If you are interested, please PM me. 

Relocation might be required.

just extending a helping hand

cheers

Baggi 

• 1 month later...

hi all,

I just went through this thread &  lot of important info gathered reading the posts from senior members of this thread....I am presently sailing as chief mate on tankers, got my master coc in jan 2020, surfed thru home affairs website to look for options to migrate, 231213 is there in ROL for visa 491 & at present NSW & NT regions are accepting EOI's in this category...I have already sent my docs for assessment from AMSA & awaiting their reply to book my orals, below are my queries regarding this process:

- the experience gained so far from cadet till mate will be considered for final file lodging?(attached screenshot for NSW requirements)

- guidance to asses my BSc nautical science degree from Vetassess to claim 15 points instead of 10 as against master's licence.

- when I get letter from AMSA for orals, do I need to apply for tourist visa or I can straightaway fly without visa, basis on AMSA letter?

I have started preparing for orals & planning to give it from Sydney ....meanwhile if any active members of this forum can help me out on above queries ,I will be highly obliged.

Screenshot 2020-03-05 at 18.03.33.png

hi all,
I just went through this thread &  lot of important info gathered reading the posts from senior members of this thread....I am presently sailing as chief mate on tankers, got my master coc in jan 2020, surfed thru home affairs website to look for options to migrate, 231213 is there in ROL for visa 491 & at present NSW & NT regions are accepting EOI's in this category...I have already sent my docs for assessment from AMSA & awaiting their reply to book my orals, below are my queries regarding this process:
- the experience gained so far from cadet till mate will be considered for final file lodging?(attached screenshot for NSW requirements)
- guidance to asses my BSc nautical science degree from Vetassess to claim 15 points instead of 10 as against master's licence.
- when I get letter from AMSA for orals, do I need to apply for tourist visa or I can straightaway fly without visa, basis on AMSA letter?
I have started preparing for orals & planning to give it from Sydney ....meanwhile if any active members of this forum can help me out on above queries ,I will be highly obliged.
499600555_Screenshot2020-03-05at18_03_33.png.8a99652ec9e0f7472487dea838ae923c.png

Hi Sukhchain,

1. For work experiences, look at the AMSA final skill assessment letter which will be issued to you few days after clearing your orals. The letter usually mentions the total stipulated work experiences in the maritime industry.

2. For BSc nautical science degree, you can only take “Point Test Advice” from Vetassess. Pls check the Vetassess website for the steps required. If Vetassess recognises your BSc degree as equivalent to Australian Bachelor degree, you will be able to claim 15 points for education.

3. You will need to apply for a tourist visa for orals unless you are from a visa waived country. You will be able to use the AMSA letter & oral booking confirmation as supporting docs when applying for tourist visa.

Cheers!
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone

May I know if anyone has applied police clearance certificate from Marshall Islands. I am finding no clue about it.

I found out that we must apply to below address:

MARSHALL ISLANDS
Relevant document: ‘Police certificate’.
Apply to:
Police Commissioner
Department of Public Safety
PO Box 1222
Majuro
MARSHALL ISLANDS MH 96960
Phone: (692) 625 4049 Fax: (692) 625 5134

But I am trying to contact them from last few weeks to ask about the requirements of documents, fee etc. No one answers the phone.

I would appreciate if someone can help.

Thanks

• 1 year later...
On 29/08/2019 at 23:11, Willboy said:

Hey guys,

Anyone planning for masters COR in near future..

Hii

I am planning to give provided australia opens its borders and flights resumes. Have you already gone through COR process.

Can you share your experience and what kind of oral they take, is it a full in depth master oral or less?