Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot - OCCUPATION REMOVED July 2017

CaptainR

hello,

Could you please upload in the dropbox a copy of an actual work expereince letter that has already met amsa/dibp guidelines.

cheers

I can't, it has personal information on it.

Just create a letter that meets the criteria of both. That's what I, and everyone else did. There's no set format, just make the information clear.

Afternoon All,

I'm fairly new to the process and have just started getting company letters.

Firstly thanks to everyone who has posted on this or the previous thread, particularly CaptainR and CaptainC. CaptainC has already been of invaluable help to me.

Question for CaptainR . . . Did your wife have to do the IELTS? Can that count towards your points for your EOI? Did she have to meet the same 60 points separately from you?

Thanks

Afternoon All,

Firstly thanks to everyone who has posted on this or the previous thread, particularly CaptainR and CaptainC. CaptainC has already been of invaluable help to me.

Question for CaptainR . . . Did your wife have to do the IELTS? Can that count towards your points for your EOI? Did she have to meet the same 60 points separately from you?

Thanks

Welcome the forum and to this long process. Best of luck and don't hesitate to ask away.

Afternoon All,

Thanks

Hi, my wife is a non-native English speaker, so she did have to do the IELTS. I also did the IELTS for the extra points.

Hi,

I just got an initial assessment done and a letter to go with it . bit confused about the form 419 ,having filled it the instructions on it say to post it all over again for orals assessment and i thought i had already got the assessment done . or do we just use the initial assessment letter contact amsa and book orals?how does it work ?

cheers

hi

same worry here,have you been able to book the orals and medical?

i have been trying to...but no luck

can anyone help,I am new to this..

Hello CaptR

thank u soo.. Much for putting in this effort..!

today I recieved my initial assessment from amsa,inviting me for orals and medicals?

how do I book my medical n orals?will this again take 3 months?the site says about form419,can u please guide me on this?

it would be of great help..

thnx in advance..

Hello CaptR

today I recieved my initial assessment from amsa,inviting me for orals and medicals?

how do I book my medical n orals?will this again take 3 months?the site says about form419,can u please guide me on this?

thnx in advance..

All of the details for this are on the AMSA website which you will have to be completely familiar with for the oral exam. Questions are often asked about the content of the website. I would recommend spending some time becoming familiar with the website.

The orals must be booked with the individual marine office that you intend to go to, contact details are on the AMSA website.

For medicals you must go through the central booking line and book the medicals at least 2 days before the orals. Telephone number and info is on the AMSA website.

Complete AMSA 419 and take it with you to the orals along with all of your original certification and it will be processed in the marine office.

The orals and medicals can usually be booked on your choice of date or thereabouts, there is no prolonged wait time to receive dates.

Hello CaptR

thnx in advance..

100% agree with CaptainC, if you are really serious about this, then you need to start reading and the AMSA website should be at the top of list. You need to become so familiar with that website that you can navigate it with your eyes closed.

Hi,

You will be having contact details of different amsa centers on their site. pick the one you want ,call them , they might take down your request or ask you to mail them on a specific orals booking mail id. 2-3 days and they will mail you back with an available date as per the window you have given . fill in and print out the amsa 419 and hand it to them before the orals. medicals call up their toll free number from medibank book it a day or 2 days before your amsa orals date . (you need to wait on hold for a long time before you are put through.

good luck

Thank you CaptR and captC for your prompt replies

so,i just fill up form419 and take it along for orals?no need to post it to amsa ,right sir?and oral and medical booking ,can I ,directly do it on phone?if yes,then can payment also b done on phone?

thanks

Thank you CaptR and captC for your prompt replies

so,i just fill up form419 and take it along for orals?no need to post it to amsa ,right sir?and oral and medical booking ,can I ,directly do it on phone?if yes,then can payment also b done on phone?

thanks

Orals will need to be paid for upon booking.

Medical to be paid for when you attend.

Passed my Orals at perth today . will send over the questions soon. captc and captr ,grateful some things in life are priceless, now to hang around for the paper work god knows how long thats gonna take.

cheers

Congratulations Mariner777!

If you completed the paperwork in the AMSA office then I would expect that you'd receive the skills assessment back in 28 days or so.

Hi

In filing for the EOI ,I presume we claim experience only for those work periods supported by Company letters and if there are periods that we are unable to obtain company letter for ,would that be an issue even if we dont claim the work time for that ?

Also , the periods we enter are from the sign on of the first ship in that company to the sign off of the last ship in that company , the whole period being counted as employment ?

AMSA has judged me for 7 years but the letters will cover me for about 5.5 still claiming the same points for experience . I hope this is not an issue.

Does anyone have any experiences in regard to these issues .

The Migration lawyer keeps harping on about 20 hours a week paid employment and entering all my ships seatime individually ? real hassle trying to get through to him. should have done it myself .nobody understands the shipping profession.

Thanks

Edited by mariner777

Hi

In filing for the EOI ,I presume we claim experience only for those work periods supported by Company letters and if there are periods that we are unable to obtain company letter for ,would that be an issue even if we dont claim the work time for that ?

Also , the periods we enter are from the sign on of the first ship in that company to the sign off of the last ship in that company , the whole period being counted as employment ?

AMSA has judged me for 7 years but the letters will cover me for about 5.5 still claiming the same points for experience . I hope this is not an issue.

Does anyone have any experiences in regard to these issues .

The Migration lawyer keeps harping on about 20 hours a week paid employment and entering all my ships seatime individually ? real hassle trying to get through to him. should have done it myself .nobody understands the shipping profession.

Thanks

You should provide the evidence to support all of your claimed employment, so if you don't have letters then you could scan your payslips for that period. Also scan any relevant discharge entries in your seamans/discharge book.

Your migration lawyer is not correct to tell you that only seatime counts (unless you were agency employed and not paid whilst on leave). Is he/she a registered migration agent?

The qualifying employment is from start date to end date and includes all reasonable leave periods.

A side note: I currently work 2 on/off.....your migration lawyer would have me down as only 6 months employment per year.....I work about a hundred more hours than a 9-5 office worker in a year but they would be credited a year of employment.

I did some maths on the subject in another post a few months ago but here's the abridged version.

Seafarer - 6 months work, each day average 11 hours = 2013 hours per year

Office worker - 48 weeks of work allowing for 4 weeks annual leave (basing on my wife's employment) 40 hours per week = 1920 hours per year.

Edited by CaptainC