Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot - OCCUPATION REMOVED July 2017

CaptainR

1 minute ago, Lali said:

What if u have already lodged before 1st July , would they assess/grant visa .

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

in this case you are safe .All the info. is in the DIBP website .If you have received an invitation ,but have not lodged then the new changes apply to you and you won't be assessed.

1 hour ago, Lali said:

What if u have already lodged before 1st July , would they assess/grant visa .

As per the DIBP rules, applications already lodged will be assessed. There will be a slight delay in grant since it will be given low priority. But certainly will be considered. So hopefully we are safe. I have lodged my application on 7th June.

26 minutes ago, jithooos said:

As per the DIBP rules, applications already lodged will be assessed. There will be a slight delay in grant since it will be given low priority. But certainly will be considered. So hopefully we are safe. I have lodged my application on 7th June.

there won't be any 'slight delay' .we are under subclass 189 and they are all treated the same way unless you have evidence from the DIBP website.

Sorry to hear this news for anyone who may be affected. The skilled list is dynamic and changes according to the employment market, so as few jobs exist and many people are looking for work the pressure from the unions was the removal of Masters & Deck Officers. It is possible that when the industry recovers in a few years time that it may reappear on the list.

Just to reiterate the above, if you have received an invite (after EOI) and actually paid and submitted a visa application, than it will be processed. If you have not submitted the full visa application then you are no longer eligible. 

For a slight bit of a positive news, there are some slight signs of recovery in the industry in Oz now, a few more jobs being advertised, some of the offshore work is picking up and also some jobs appearing in New Zealand, which all means a bit of movement for those that do have the visas and are searching for work. There are still however many unemployed Officers, Captains, Engineers and also the colleges are producing newly qualified OOW's regularly who are also in the job pile. 

On 11/4/2015 at 08:02, dnp said:

Hope everyone is doing well,

In the past there have been concerns if examinations period can be counted as work experience, below is an extract from MLC-2007/B2.4.1-Entitlement to leave/Calculation of entitlement:

"2.2. Under conditions as determined by the competent authority or in an applicable collective agreement, absence from work to

attend an approved maritime vocational training course or for such reasons as illness or injury or for maternity should be

counted as part of the period of service."

This section of MLC could be quoted, if every questioned by a CO.

Hello everyone, 

A very sad news about removal of our profession from skilled occupation list baffled us yesterday. Felt sorry for all of us who are affected by this.

My query is about above quoted reference. Can anyone shed some more light on this one as I might need to use this one because I took a leave of 1.5 yrs from work due to Exams and Illness while i was still employed by the company but was not paid for the period. And i have used this time for Experience and same have been included in company letter.

Thanks  

5 hours ago, sandy dhull said:

Hello everyone, 

A very sad news about removal of our profession from skilled occupation list baffled us yesterday. Felt sorry for all of us who are affected by this.

My query is about above quoted reference. Can anyone shed some more light on this one as I might need to use this one because I took a leave of 1.5 yrs from work due to Exams and Illness while i was still employed by the company but was not paid for the period. And i have used this time for Experience and same have been included in company letter.

Thanks  

I would give it a go, but certainly wouldn't rely on it. Whats most important is what you're supporting evidence says, your company letters etc. 

57 minutes ago, farmer82 said:

Good Day Seniors ,

I have a query, despite the occupation has  been removed but using the assessment letter from AMSA can that be used to obtain 489 family sponsor visa  or will that to will not be possible.

A 489 still requires the occupation to be on the list

Good day Seniors,

I have submitted my complete application with payment in mid of may. As of now status is still received. with new SOL list and removal of ship master occupation will they be considering my application? Also, in what time case officer will contact. 

will be grateful if any senior can reply.

On 01/07/2017 at 15:56, TSJ said:

Good day Seniors,

I have submitted my complete application with payment in mid of may. As of now status is still received. with new SOL list and removal of ship master occupation will they be considering my application? Also, in what time case officer will contact. 

will be grateful if any senior can reply.

your application will be considered.As per the trend, they have reached the applications submitted on 08/05/2017 ,so I would say expect a contact by mid or end of July (if the case officer needs more evidence).

Edited by MaggieMay24
Removing reference to external site.

You may have noticed, I asked the Moderators to remove the topic as a sticky and modify the title to reflect the removal of the occupation. 

Good luck to those who have visa applications pending and all the best to everyone else who have been adversely affected. The occupation may reappear on the list in a few years time once the number of seafarers out of work has rebalanced itself. 

3 hours ago, Lali said:

Any good news from those whose application was in assessment stage on 01/07/2017.

Nothing yet Lali. Eagerly waiting as there are not much movements happening in case of visa grant/CO contacts. Hopefully things should start to move by next week.

On 7/7/2017 at 02:09, CaptainR said:

You may have noticed, I asked the Moderators to remove the topic as a sticky and modify the title to reflect the removal of the occupation. 

Good luck to those who have visa applications pending and all the best to everyone else who have been adversely affected. The occupation may reappear on the list in a few years time once the number of seafarers out of work has rebalanced itself. 

I Have had a visa for 2 Years and despite chasing and emailing on a regular basis, I have been unable to find work, the market the way it is globally,s I don't want to relocate unless I have the work, sad times indeed.

• 4 weeks later...