Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot - OCCUPATION REMOVED July 2017

CaptainR

Hi,

I just got an initial assessment done and a letter to go with it . bit confused about the form 419 ,having filled it the instructions on it say to post it all over again for orals assessment and i thought i had already got the assessment done . or do we just use the initial assessment letter contact amsa and book orals?how does it work ?

cheers

1. Book orals over the phone and pay by credit card.

2. Complete AMSA419 and take it with you for the orals, you'll need to take the original certificates with you so that they can sight them.

3. Pay the balance of the fees for issue of the certificates.

Good day sir.

Had seen alot from u in the forum and really impressed with the assistance.

Thanks alit for the value feedback.

I applied for amsa assessment and got some questions if u could help.

They asked to fulfil condition as following.

1. Amsa medical

2. Amsa oral for chief mate

3. Completion of continued competence refresher course in adv fire fighting/fire fighting. and prof in survival craft and rescue boats(if my coc expires after dec 2016)

4. Hold australian gmdss or cor of my national gmdss

Mu queries r

1. When and how to book orals and where. How much it cost. If fail can reappear.

2. Amsa medical how and where to book. Any fees. Before or after orals

3. Gmdss need to be applied for Cor seperately. Any fees. How to apply for it.

4. My coc expires on 31st dec 2016 so i need to do this or not?

5. Do i need to do ielts first before oral or not required at this stage?

Will request to give me guidance as i put my case via some agent who dont really know shipping well.

Can i request some study stuff and any additional guid lines. If i go to melbourne. Any closest point to amsa orals .

Thanks in advance.

SmasifL

Good day sir.

Had seen alot from u in the forum and really impressed with the assistance.

Thanks alit for the value feedback.

I applied for amsa assessment and got some questions if u could help.

They asked to fulfil condition as following.

1. Amsa medical

2. Amsa oral for chief mate

3. Completion of continued competence refresher course in adv fire fighting/fire fighting. and prof in survival craft and rescue boats(if my coc expires after dec 2016)

4. Hold australian gmdss or cor of my national gmdss

Mu queries r

1. When and how to book orals and where. How much it cost. If fail can reappear.

2. Amsa medical how and where to book. Any fees. Before or after orals

3. Gmdss need to be applied for Cor seperately. Any fees. How to apply for it.

4. My coc expires on 31st dec 2016 so i need to do this or not?

5. Do i need to do ielts first before oral or not required at this stage?

Will request to give me guidance as i put my case via some agent who dont really know shipping well.

Can i request some study stuff and any additional guid lines. If i go to melbourne. Any closest point to amsa orals .

Thanks in advance.

SmasifL

1. Book orals over the phone at your preferred examination centre. Contact details available on the AMSA website. Exam fee AUD430 paid by credit card over the phone. Yes you can resit exam after 2 weeks has passed.

2. See AMSA website for booking line number (it should also be on your assessment letter). Medical exam fees vary but likely to be roughly AUD400-450. Must be taken BEFORE orals, give enough time to allow your chest X-ray to be reviewed to obtain the medical certificate (YOU CANNOT SIT ORAL EXAM WITHOUT CERTIFICATE OF MEDICAL FITNESS, IN YOUR HAND)

3. GMDSS certificate is applied for via AMSA 419. Complete this form and take with you to the oral exam. Current fees are posted on the form.

4. You will likely need to do continued competence if that is what your letter says. Check with AMSA.

5. IELTS is not required at this stage but you may do it if you wish.

Smasif, you do need to start getting familiar with the AMSA website, a lot of the information you require is on there. Becoming familiar with the AMSA website and thoroughly reading the information is absolutely critical for the orals as well, I would honestly say you need to improve your reading skills (several questions you have asked are in the initial pages of this thread) and perhaps doing the IELTS first to improve your English may assist you with the oral process. Please do not underestimate the exam you are about to undertake, particularly since it also is a considerable cost.

Edited by CaptainR

Thanks capt C for a brief answer it really clears alot doubts.

Still a question remains , letter say i need to do continued competeñce if my coc expirers after 31 dec 2016

.but mine is on exact 31 dec 2016. I will check this with amsa.

Will post the feedback

Thanks capt C for a brief answer it really clears alot doubts.

Still a question remains , letter say i need to do continued competeñce if my coc expirers after 31 dec 2016

.but mine is on exact 31 dec 2016. I will check this with amsa.

Will post the feedback

If it says AFTER 31st Dec 2016 and your CoC expires ON 31st Dec 2016, then you have your answer.

The continued competence part of STCW 2010 doesn't come into effect until 1st January 2017.

Edited by CaptainC

Hi,

I came up with a new issue. Tried contacting the amsa fremantle office by phone . was told that booking had to be done by email, freoexaminer@amsa.gov.au , been 3 days since havent been any response since i sent the mail . and they are adamant that bookings not accepted over phone when tried asking ? any ideas ? is it very hard to get a date at the fremantle centre (huge waiting time etc) or have i just got the email address wrong ( tough to decipher the aussie accent ). ????i think i cant proceed with the visa booking without settling the orals/medicals date .

Hi,

I came up with a new issue. Tried contacting the amsa fremantle office by phone . was told that booking had to be done by email, freoexaminer@amsa.gov.au , been 3 days since havent been any response since i sent the mail . and they are adamant that bookings not accepted over phone when tried asking ? any ideas ? is it very hard to get a date at the fremantle centre (huge waiting time etc) or have i just got the email address wrong ( tough to decipher the aussie accent ). ????i think i cant proceed with the visa booking without settling the orals/medicals date .

I know that at Brisbane I just did it over the phone so that's unusual.

Try freo.examiner instead. Otherwise you'll have to call back and confirm the address.

You're right, you can't do anything with visa until you have your skills assessment in your hand.

(But if you mean your tourist visa for travel to Australia for orals then you can go ahead now with that)

Good day all.

Some questions if anybody can clearify.

1_after achieving chief mate CoR . Can one appear for Master orals AMSA on that basis after qualifying for sea time

2_ amsa require coc class2 or equiland and approved training classes from amsa approved centre,

Have any body done that.?

I mean after achieving amsa CoR for chiefmate then has given master orals from amsa.

Good day all.

Some questions if anybody can clearify.

1_after achieving chief mate CoR . Can one appear for Master orals AMSA on that basis after qualifying for sea time

2_ amsa require coc class2 or equiland and approved training classes from amsa approved centre,

Have any body done that.?

I mean after achieving amsa CoR for chiefmate then has given master orals from amsa.

No, you can do the full AMSA Mate/Masters course, but you can't upgrade a Mates CoR to a Master CoR.

In the company letter, is it okay to mention after listing the ships and the seatimes obtained therein, a sentence which states something like:

*All the ships listed above are fitted with a Full GMDSS set and applicant has operated it on a regular basis as part of his duties onboard.

In the company letter, is it okay to mention after listing the ships and the seatimes obtained therein, a sentence which states something like:

*All the ships listed above are fitted with a Full GMDSS set and applicant has operated it on a regular basis as part of his duties onboard.

Sounds like an excellent idea and wouldn't hurt.

CaptainC,

One more query.

My Indian 2nd Mate FG CoC expires in April 2016.

Currently AMSA has asked me to provide further sea-time to fulfil 36months min criteria, which I will complete by next month, and dispatch company letter and Ship's statement of sea service next month while still being onboard.

My question to you is, should there be a delay beyond April 2016 for my skill assessment or Visa application/grant, and my CoC expires, will that be a problem?

I'm not going to renew/revalidate my 2nd mate coc because I'm halfway through for Chief Mate Coc from India.

Please advise.

CaptainC,

One more query.

My Indian 2nd Mate FG CoC expires in April 2016.

Currently AMSA has asked me to provide further sea-time to fulfil 36months min criteria, which I will complete by next month, and dispatch company letter and Ship's statement of sea service next month while still being onboard.

My question to you is, should there be a delay beyond April 2016 for my skill assessment or Visa application/grant, and my CoC expires, will that be a problem?

I'm not going to renew/revalidate my 2nd mate coc because I'm halfway through for Chief Mate Coc from India.

Please advise.

You shouldn't have any issues obtaining the Skill Assessment, however the subsequent CoR may require a full assessment application again (with costs involved).

I'm surprised you are applying now, rather then waiting until you've got your Chief Mate CoC and getting an AMSA Chief Mate CoR on the back of that.

You shouldn't have any issues obtaining the Skill Assessment, however the subsequent CoR may require a full assessment application again (with costs involved).

I'm surprised you are applying now, rather then waiting until you've got your Chief Mate CoC and getting an AMSA Chief Mate CoR on the back of that.

I'm a little bit in a hurry.

No worries for the costs.

Just to highlight..

However the subsequent CoR may require a full assessment application again..

Does that mean I'll have to obtain a CoR for Mates ticket for the purpose of my Visa?

Edited by CaptainC
Fixing quotes

I'm a little bit in a hurry.

No worries for the costs.

Just to highlight..

However the subsequent CoR may require a full assessment application again..

Does that mean I'll have to obtain a CoR for Mates ticket for the purpose of my Visa?[/Quote]

No, please re-read what I wrote in full. The issue of the CoR is separate to the Skill Assessment for the visa. The issue of a CoR only occurs after the visa issue.

Edited by CaptainC
Fixing quote

1. Are we in EOI invitation queue only with other marine transport guys or is it a general queue ?

2. I guess those who filed ahead of you in terms of date and those who have more points will get invited first .

1. No, it's along with everyone applying for 189.

2. Correct.

Edited by CaptainC
Simplifying