Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot - OCCUPATION REMOVED July 2017

CaptainR

Hi

In filing for the EOI ,I presume we claim experience only for those work periods supported by Company letters and if there are periods that we are unable to obtain company letter for ,would that be an issue even if we dont claim the work time for that ?

Also , the periods we enter are from the sign on of the first ship in that company to the sign off of the last ship in that company , the whole period being counted as employment ?

AMSA has judged me for 7 years but the letters will cover me for about 5.5 still claiming the same points for experience . I hope this is not an issue.

Does anyone have any experiences in regard to these issues .

The Migration lawyer keeps harping on about 20 hours a week paid employment and entering all my ships seatime individually ? real hassle trying to get through to him. should have done it myself .nobody understands the shipping profession.

Thanks

If your employment letter only states the actual seatime of the ships, and doesn't account for the leave, then you may have a challenge, however if the letter states that overall you were in employment from first ship to last ship and then a breakdown of the ships, that will be much easier.

one of the companies closed down and in the other a real prick is in charge of this stuff now. I think i will just not claim the months in these two companies in the eoi .i still get 5.5 years getting my 10 points without these 2 and can justify all these 5.5 years with letters and discharge book entries . hope its ok that way.

one of the companies closed down and in the other a real prick is in charge of this stuff now. I think i will just not claim the months in these two companies in the eoi .i still get 5.5 years getting my 10 points without these 2 and can justify all these 5.5 years with letters and discharge book entries . hope its ok that way.

Yes, there's no difference in points between 5.5 and 7 so you'll be absolutely fine. If you had less than 5 years evidenced and were intent on claiming the ten points then I suspect you'd have problems.

ah then i guess i will just claim the 5 points then , i still make 60 with less than 5 years experience which hopefully is good enough for a invite and even if they decide to beat me down to my bare seatime only i should have at least 3 years and will not have to go through the whole thing again as being pushed down by not being able to verify the points claimed .

ah then i guess i will just claim the 5 points then , i still make 60 with less than 5 years experience which hopefully is good enough for a invite and even if they decide to beat me down to my bare seatime only i should have at least 3 years and will not have to go through the whole thing again as being pushed down by not being able to verify the points claimed .

No, you aren't understanding. You can claim 10 points as you have more than 5 years verifiable full time employment.

Read my last post again

Edited by CaptainC

Hi, has anyone here been able to claim 15 points for their post graduate qualifications (obtained without a bachelors). I have a MSc(Maritime studies), entry into which was based on my Class 1 coc; however, candidates without a seafaring background are required to have a bachelors. I am confused and trying to make sense of the below extract from the skill select site:

//

Bachelor Degree

To receive 15 points for having at least a Bachelor degree, you must have met the requirements for an award of Bachelor degree by an Australian educational institution or your qualification must be considered as at least comparable to a Bachelor level at Australian standards.

Note: To receive 15 points for a Masters degree, you must also have a Bachelor degree completed in Australia or overseas, or the Masters degree must be considered as at least comparable to Bachelor degree level at Australian standards.

//

I did, approach Vetassess, if they can assess to confirm my masters is at least equivalent to an australian bachelors. They would only assess if either the immigration department or our my assessing body (AMSA) refers me to them. Now this is tricky, having received my AMSA assessment, now its only the CO will refer me to VETASSESS, which would only happen after I have lodged my application and paid the visa fees. After all this, if it is assessed negatively, I the risk rejection, as my at this moment my points total to 60 with the 15 for my PG.

If anyone can shed some light on this.

cheers.

Hi, has anyone here been able to claim 15 points for their post graduate qualifications (obtained without a bachelors). I have a MSc(Maritime studies), entry into which was based on my Class 1 coc; however, candidates without a seafaring background are required to have a bachelors. I am confused and trying to make sense of the below extract from the skill select site:

//

Bachelor Degree

To receive 15 points for having at least a Bachelor degree, you must have met the requirements for an award of Bachelor degree by an Australian educational institution or your qualification must be considered as at least comparable to a Bachelor level at Australian standards.

Note: To receive 15 points for a Masters degree, you must also have a Bachelor degree completed in Australia or overseas, or the Masters degree must be considered as at least comparable to Bachelor degree level at Australian standards.

//

I did, approach Vetassess, if they can assess to confirm my masters is at least equivalent to an australian bachelors. They would only assess if either the immigration department or our my assessing body (AMSA) refers me to them. Now this is tricky, having received my AMSA assessment, now its only the CO will refer me to VETASSESS, which would only happen after I have lodged my application and paid the visa fees. After all this, if it is assessed negatively, I the risk rejection, as my at this moment my points total to 60 with the 15 for my PG.

If anyone can shed some light on this.

cheers.

Firstly, you cannot submit any further claims by way of educational qualifications after you have submitted your visa application. All of your evidence for points should be current at time of submission of the EOI. For example, if you submitted your EOI before the date printed on your skills assessment, and then subsequently apply for a visa, the visa will be refused.

If you already have 60 points as you stand now, then I'd recommend that you just submit the EOI based on that, and don't over complicate the matter.

Firstly, you cannot submit any further claims by way of educational qualifications after you have submitted your visa application. All of your evidence for points should be current at time of submission of the EOI. For example, if you submitted your EOI before the date printed on your skills assessment, and then subsequently apply for a visa, the visa will be refused.

If you already have 60 points as you stand now, then I'd recommend that you just submit the EOI based on that, and don't over complicate the matter.

I am sorry, you lost me on this.

My Assessment was done in July, EOI submitted in oct. In my EOI I have claimed 60 points (15 for my MSc - which is the highest qualification I hold). And, I haven't been invited yet. My concern was how do I justify my MSc is atleast equivalent to a bachelors in Australia.

Ok, let me get this straight:

1. You've sat the oral exam and received your skills assessment from AMSA.

2. You've submitted your EOI.

3. You've claimed 15 points for your MSc.

4. Your MSc has not been assessed by an assessing authority as being at least equivalent to a Australian bachelors.

Can you confirm which of the above is correct/incorrect.

Ok, let me get this straight:

1. You've sat the oral exam and received your skills assessment from AMSA.

2. You've submitted your EOI.

3. You've claimed 15 points for your MSc.

4. Your MSc has not been assessed by an assessing authority as being at least equivalent to a Australian bachelors.

Can you confirm which of the above is correct/incorrect.

thats correct

thats correct

Ok, in that case, you must withdraw your EOI now.

You will be rejected for a visa if there is no evidence of your MSc being equivalent to Australian Bachelors as you will not meet the points requirement.

You will have to explore other avenues of increasing the points. Getting a higher grade in IELTS is a good start.

Ok, in that case, you must withdraw your EOI now.

You will be rejected for a visa if there is no evidence of your MSc being equivalent to Australian Bachelors as you will not meet the points requirement.

You will have to explore other avenues of increasing the points. Getting a higher grade in IELTS is a good start.

Your advise makes sense, getting a higher grade in ielts would allow me to bypass all the ambiguity with claiming qualification related points. However, as suggested by you, claiming points for a non assessed degree should not be clear grounds for a visa rejection. I believe, as a minimum, the nominated skill is to be assessed by the relevant authority, any higher non-related qualification can be used to claim additional points. In case of deck officers, AMSA has clearly mentioned that they will not be able to award anything higher than an advanced diploma, whereas there have been candidates with bachelors who were able to claim 15 points. Further to this, I stumbled onto this thread where a member had posted some advise about how a case officer is required to assess various qualification related claims.

link to the thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/176643-eoi-help-claiming-education-points.html

link to the document:

http://pastebin.com/TVexSXyV (information provided by the member's agent)

However, i understand there is a risk involved where the case officer may not see my MSc as at least equivalent to an ausi bachelors.

Going through few other threads on this forum, one gets a feeling that a lot is left to the interpretation of the CO. I think seafarers are likely to face this situation with more of these MBAs and MSc offered based on work experience and CoCs. In fact, AMC offers one such masters , where general candidates require a bachelors and seafare's gain entry based on Class 1 CoC. By this logic, our experience and CoC should equate to at least a bachelors or a graduate diploma, which is contradictory to what AMSA awards us - advanced diploma.

Captain C, your interpretation of the the 2nd link will be valuable.

PS: The IELTS framework and my brain function with regards to english language abilities, I have serious doubts about one of them, not sure which. This is another discussion we can have. :)

My scores:

1st: L:8.5, R:8.5, S:8.5, W:6.5

2nd: L:6.5, R:7.5, S:7.0, W:8.0

3rd: L:9.0, R:7.0, S:8.5, W:7.0

If you would like to risk it, then go ahead. It may be the case where your degree is accepted on face value, or it may not. It's your money.

This information is over two years old, and I do know that people have been rejected on this basis.

I'd suggest posting on the migration section and getting opinions other than mine, as again it's straying off topic.

Hi Captain C,

I just got my GMDSS License revalidated until 2020.

Similarly, Master's License will be validated on Monday until 2020.

Is it OK if I forward following scanned documents to AMSA by email in order to get Master's COR and GMDSS COR :

1. Master's COC

2. GMDSS COC

3. Continued Competence courses

4. AMSA Medical fitness Certificate

5. Visa grant letter

6. Identification document (Passport pages)

7.AMSA assessment letter that mentions about passing oral exams.

8. Notification of exam results

9. Payment receipt

10. Cover letter mentioning documents attached.

I am not 100% sure about this. I think that revalidation is done with AMSA 419, and a fee is charged.

Let me know what you discover. I have to revalidate next year

OK. I will check it out and keep you informed. Actually, I had paid the fees for Master's COR and GMDSS COR before oral examinations. But, now since I have upgraded my licenses to STCW2010, let's see what AMSA does about this.

Meanwhile , I am still searching for job. I am sure to find it soon once I land in Perth in this December.

I contacted AMSA on quals@amsa.gov.au

They first told me to forward scanned copy of PR Visa.

Then later told me to forward pending Documents by post or Courier.

I think they are going to provide me with upgraded COR's without charging me again.Nor did they ask me to fill form 419 again.

I have couriered the pending Documents today.

Thanks for that @sevenseas1983

Let me know if you get the STCW2010 ticket.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope everyone is doing well,

In the past there have been concerns if examinations period can be counted as work experience, below is an extract from MLC-2007/B2.4.1-Entitlement to leave/Calculation of entitlement:

"2.2. Under conditions as determined by the competent authority or in an applicable collective agreement, absence from work to

attend an approved maritime vocational training course or for such reasons as illness or injury or for maternity should be

counted as part of the period of service."

This section of MLC could be quoted, if every questioned by a CO.