Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot - OCCUPATION REMOVED July 2017

CaptainR

17 minutes ago, Capt J said:

Hi

Can anyone adivuse me how much time AMSA takes after clearing oral to issue imigration assessment letter?

Can we ask them to speed up the process?

Hello Capt J

Standard processing time is about 2 weeks now. But I got mine in 7 days after clearing orals. 

hello everyone,
I'm in the process of uploading documents for 189 visa and i have a doubt. I have a total sailing experience of 13 months including junior time and i have started sailing in September 2013 and my last sign-off was in Jan 2017. AMSA has given me a experience of at least five years and my company has given me employment letter for service since Sep 2013 till now on contractual basis. Which counts to approximately 3.5 yrs. My doubt is in these 3.5 years i had a break for exams of 1.5 yrs. Will the case officer count my experience for 3 years or not. What more can i provide in case he raises a doubt for that period. 
Thanks

Hi sandy
1. Employers letter
2. CDC
3. Contract
4. Salary slip
5. Bank statement
6. Tax file
any additional document which can support ur claim for experience claimed .

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Hi

My application with DIBP has come to a stage where additional supporting documents have been requested by case officer . Precisely, I have been asked to submit PCC from flag states . In my case it is Malta and Bahamas, I have managed PCC from both flag states .

Now I am bit anxious about final visa grant.

Would appreciate advise on following from seniors who have been through the process .

-Since only PCCs have been requested by CO, does it mean that rest of my documents are okay.
-Has my experience been accepted in full without any cross examination by CO . I am claiming 15 points and AMSA has mentioned more than 10 years on my assessment letter.

- AGW how long for visa grant

I am planning to join ship by mid July. If any query is raised by CO, while I am on ship, I might not be in position to reply appropriately from ship .

Appreciate your comments

Regard .

On 18/06/2017 at 07:25, Lali said:

Hi

My application with DIBP has come to a stage where additional supporting documents have been requested by case officer . Precisely, I have been asked to submit PCC from flag states . In my case it is Malta and Bahamas, I have managed PCC from both flag states .

Now I am bit anxious about final visa grant.

Would appreciate advise on following from seniors who have been through the process .

-Since only PCCs have been requested by CO, does it mean that rest of my documents are okay.
-Has my experience been accepted in full without any cross examination by CO . I am claiming 15 points and AMSA has mentioned more than 10 years on my assessment letter.

- AGW how long for visa grant

I am planning to join ship by mid July. If any query is raised by CO, while I am on ship, I might not be in position to reply appropriately from ship .

Appreciate your comments

Regard .

It's hard to say Lali, although I would imagine that is it and you will just need to wait around 2-4 weeks for them to review the documents and hopefully will have the visa issued. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CaptainR said:

It's hard to say Lali, although I would imagine that is it and you will just need to wait around 2-4 weeks for them to review the documents and hopefully will have the visa issued. 

Lali, for me that wasn't the case.  I got asked for additional documents in January - more evidence of past employment.  I didn't hear anything until about a week ago when they asked for more - statutory declaration.  They needed that as I was unable to obtain PCC's from most flag states.  I did however previously send evidence of me trying to obtain them.  So my advice is to fill out the statutory declaration and send that before they ask for it, if you have any flag states that won't issue a PCC.  

They have recently increased the wait time for 189 visas and it seems they take longer than the 28 + 28 days to process anything extra they ask for.

• Like 2

Hi Adam,
Thax for the reply, hope you get your visa soon. can u pls advise what did u upload when they asked for evidence of past employment . I mean, AMSA must have mentioned your experience on the skill assessment letter .
In my case, I have uploaded employment contact , letters from my employers , discharge book with ships stamps , bank statements, intermittent payslip as I could not find most of them, tax return for last three years . I thinks should suffice the purpose . Moreover, I don't have anything else in addition if they ask for .

I have been quite luck with PCC, Malta & Bahamas police were quite generous to provide me with PCC in 15 days.

One more thing, did u upload your photos on immiaccount , I have not.
I ready on other forums that some people have .

Regards

Hi Adam,
First time in January when they asked for evidence of past employment did they also asked for PCC on the same checklist or they came back second time for PCC.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Lali said:

Hi Adam,
Thax for the reply, hope you get your visa soon. can u pls advise what did u upload when they asked for evidence of past employment . I mean, AMSA must have mentioned your experience on the skill assessment letter .
In my case, I have uploaded employment contact , letters from my employers , discharge book with ships stamps , bank statements, intermittent payslip as I could not find most of them, tax return for last three years . I thinks should suffice the purpose . Moreover, I don't have anything else in addition if they ask for .

I have been quite luck with PCC, Malta & Bahamas police were quite generous to provide me with PCC in 15 days.

One more thing, did u upload your photos on immiaccount , I have not.
I ready on other forums that some people have .

Regards

Yes AMSA stated I had over 10 years and I'd previously uploaded payslips, company letters, employment contracts, discharge book, everything you mentioned but they still wanted more.  I think I'm the end I uploaded all of my payslips.  

I never uploaded any photos.

Regarding the PCC's, I uploaded everything with the initial application including all PCC's I had and then the emails as evidence of me trying to obtain the rest.  They never mentioned it back in January, only recently they contacted me again for them.  So I'd say be prepared for them not to thoroughly check everything the first time as they might well come back and ask for more after the initial request for more docs.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Yes AMSA stated I had over 10 years and I'd previously uploaded payslips, company letters, employment contracts, discharge book, everything you mentioned but they still wanted more.  I think I'm the end I uploaded all of my payslips.  
I never uploaded any photos.
Regarding the PCC's, I uploaded everything with the initial application including all PCC's I had and then the emails as evidence of me trying to obtain the rest.  They never mentioned it back in January, only recently they contacted me again for them.  So I'd say be prepared for them not to thoroughly check everything the first time as they might well come back and ask for more after the initial request for more docs.
Hope that helps.

That seems unreasonable on the part of DIBP . I can't imagine if anything else can qualify as an evidence of past employment .
How many companies did u change in your carrier?

Cheers

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

3 hours ago, Adam said:

Lali, for me that wasn't the case.  I got asked for additional documents in January - more evidence of past employment.  I didn't hear anything until about a week ago when they asked for more - statutory declaration.  They needed that as I was unable to obtain PCC's from most flag states.  I did however previously send evidence of me trying to obtain them.  So my advice is to fill out the statutory declaration and send that before they ask for it, if you have any flag states that won't issue a PCC.  

They have recently increased the wait time for 189 visas and it seems they take longer than the 28 + 28 days to process anything extra they ask for.

Hi Adam 

i m in the same boat. Singapore police denied my pcc and I have uploaded the mail from them for DIBP reference. I'm currently sailing on ship. Can you tell me how to file the statuatory declaration ? Can I scan and send from ship ?? 

Edited by jithooos

Thank you sir!
I work in a management company. They have ships with all sorts of flags.
I guess I'll also check whether Marshall Islands also need a letter..

Does it mean that you have to get PCC from flag state if sailed on ship for 4 months then took a break for 4 months and then sailed again for another four months . As per my understanding cumulative time onboard is only 8 months . Hence PCC is not required .

Appreciate your comments .

I got my Indian PCC from Singapore , got it in 3-4 days. HKG takes 28+ days, all communication done by post. And, the HKG PCC will be sent over directly to the CO.
(Only if you have been employed with a company for 12 mths or more , including gaps, where the ships were registered in panama) - I suggest you email the panama consulate and followed up with a phone call. They are very clear on the PCC issuance only to people who have resided in the country. I requested they put the same in writing - email, which I sent to the CO. In case of panama, you could start the process even before the CO requests. Additionally, after you have received a written response, and AFTER you have made you 189 application, prepare a Commonwealth statutory declaration (can be found on the immmi site - Google for it). Remember to sign the declaration only in the presence of an Australian consulate officer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it mean that you have to get PCC from flag state if sailed on ship for 4 months then took a break for 4 months and then sailed again for another four months . As per my understanding cumulative time onboard is only 8 months . Hence PCC is not required .

Appreciate your comments .

3 hours ago, Lali said:

That seems unreasonable on the part of DIBP . I can't imagine if anything else can qualify as an evidence of past employment .
How many companies did u change in your carrier?

Cheers

All payslips and the letters should suffice, it did for me.  I worked for 3 companies.

• Like 1

Good day All
After reading some of your comments am bit confused as to which PCC is required the country where you have your licence from and  or all the flag state of ships you sailed on.

Hi farmer,

As per my understanding it is required from your home country and also from all flag states whose ships you have worked on for 12 or more cumulative months.
12 cumulative months meaning the actual seatime onboard a ship excluding the breaks between ships. ( my interpretation )
But someone previous mentioned that breaks between ships are included .
someone with experience can give better advise .

Guys pls advise ....

Good day sir. 

I am jus taking baby steps considering the experienced legends that have been here for years. I'm Gaurav sailing as 2nd off (rank experience almost 60months)Greatly appreciate if someone can help me on few below topics. 

1 .is there anyone on 2nd mate rank to help me with some oral tips. 

2.flag state pcc.... How do we go about them/do we email them directly or company does it on our behalf.. 

3 . my docs jus couriered further which I have to go for skill assessment.... Which oral center would be preferred on 2nd mate (perhaps expecting some lineancy) 

4.is there anyone on junior rank to render me some help here. 

Thank you all... :)

3 hours ago, gaurav Kash said:

Good day sir. 

I am jus taking baby steps considering the experienced legends that have been here for years. I'm Gaurav sailing as 2nd off (rank experience almost 60months)Greatly appreciate if someone can help me on few below topics. 

1 .is there anyone on 2nd mate rank to help me with some oral tips. 

2.flag state pcc.... How do we go about them/do we email them directly or company does it on our behalf.. 

3 . my docs jus couriered further which I have to go for skill assessment.... Which oral center would be preferred on 2nd mate (perhaps expecting some lineancy) 

4.is there anyone on junior rank to render me some help here. 

Thank you all... :)

Gaurav,

Welcome and good luck for the months of hard work, stress, patience, money and hard work.  There are no short cuts, it takes a lot of all the above.  Just to give you and other new members an idea, this is my situation:

I first started the process with company letters etc in September 2015, got invited for orals in February 2016, moved to Australia on a working holiday visa in October 2016, did orals in November 2016 and submitted visa application December 2016.  I got asked for more documents in January 2017, then more again in June 2017.  I am now still waiting, hopeful that the visa isn't far off.  During that time I was laid off from my job and could no longer afford to live there so had to return to the UK in April 2017.  A big move followed by another big move back again, all in the space of 6 months.  Long story short, in this current climate, I wouldn't advise anyone moving out there with or without PR.  Yes, things are picking up slowly but there are no secure jobs currently and I don't expect there will be for a long time.

Addressing your points:

1.  Treat your orals like any other orals and go through the syllabus thoroughly.  In my AMSA orals, he went through every single point on the syllabus.

2.  Every flag state is different, they all have different processes.  Do your research. Many don't issue PCC's but you still have to prove you tried to obtain one to DIBP.

3.  All documents get sent to Canberra then it's your choice where you do orals.  Then general consensus on here is that all orals are conducted more or less the same.  Again, learn the syllabus and you'll be fine.

4.  I did Masters orals, so not Junior as such but I'm sure all successful Junior candidates would say the same.  Study hard and learn the syllabus.  I worked solidly for 3 weeks for the orals prep and I was more than prepared.

Hopefully that will help yourself and others.  It may seem all doom and gloom on the work front and it is to be honest!  But I don't regret moving over even if it was for only 6 months, I had the time of my life and hope to go back in the future.  But everyone should be prepared that even with the PR, you won't find work anytime soon.  It became scarily apparent very quickly how expensive it is to live there without work.

One thing to add is CaptainC and CaptainR were extremely helpful in the process.  Their knowledge along with everyone else's is invaluable and it's all in this forum so spend time flicking through all the pages.

All the best.

• Like 2