UK -v- Australia

tracy303

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be honest it doesn't sound like as a couple you are doing this together. You don't even know what visa he's applied for. All very strange.

There we go agreeing again. It all sounds very odd indeed. I would know absolutely every detail of the whole process, at the very least the type of visa lol

No I have no Link but I have evidence. The school work books we bought with us were way above the same year levels in Australia. They were placed close to top of the class in Oz coming from an average school back in the UK.

Again PERSONAL experience but this is what the OP wanted.

Personal evidence of one school in the UK versus one school in Australia. I can show evidence of many UK schools being better than other UK schools, and many Australian schools being better than other Australian schools. It's a very long way from here to your statement.

Guest Bobajob
Sprintman is a special case. Good with computers. Less good with people.

Far better than you I'd wager (it's my business) and not a failed migrant. God I hate losers!

Far better than you I'd wager (it's my business) and not a failed migrant. God I hate losers!

Credit where credits due.

Am I a failed migrant?

As an Australian living in the UK, sometimes I think I'm too bloody good at it.

Edited by newjez

It might mean they went for the permanent visa, as it does always require a skills assessment. But 457 visa sometimes requires it as well.

Did you all take medicals? Including blood tests for the adults. Those would definitely be required for a permanent visa, but not necessarily for the 457 visa.

No medicals and no blood tests, but I realise now that we were probably naive and what we thought would lead to PR is not necessarily the case!

No medicals and no blood tests, but I realise now that we were probably naive and what we thought would lead to PR is not necessarily the case!

It does sound like it, and I can't emphasise enough that the official purpose of a 457 is to allow temporary workers to fill temporary vacancies, and that's it. So even if an employer promises PR, if he doesn't keep the promise you have no recourse because you never had any legal right to the PR.

With that in mind, personally I think you need to think very carefully about whether you should risk moving out to be with him. If for some reason your husband loses that job - the business gets into difficulties, goes broke, or does a restructure, or he has a disagreement and leaves, whatever - you will have to leave the country. He will get a grace period to look for another sponsor but if he doesn't find one in time, you'll all have to go home. The government won't care if that happens while your daughter's in the middle of exams, you'll have to go.

Edited by Marisawright

Ok well then you definitely do not have a permanent visa. Temporary visas do not turn into permanent ones over time, although a surprisingly large number of people think they do. Or think there is an easy paper exercise to get, what they refer to as "residency". In fact there is no such concept as "applying for residency". To get a permanent visa you have to qualify for one and go through a whole new application process.

To be honest based on everything you have said, about the visa, education and also that you appear to be heading to a fairly bland location, I am not sure I would bother!

I didnt find this with any of my children, infact my A star student at the local Grammar school was getting B's here. He found the work more difficult and said in his UK school they 'spoon fed' the answers, here he was made to work for them. I guess individual experiences :)

No I have no Link but I have evidence. The school work books we bought with us were way above the same year levels in Australia. They were placed close to top of the class in Oz coming from an average school back in the UK.

Again PERSONAL experience but this is what the OP wanted.

457 is temporary as others have said, we came on the 457 and after 2 yrs got sponsored for PR, we are now citizens. BUT lots can happen in that time which may prevent you getting the PR such as health issues which can arise unexpectedly which can cause you to fail the medicals, changes to the Visas and of course loss of jobs or sponsorship, if you can apply for PR in your own right, do it as soon as possible.. My eldest had just started his GCSE when we moved, he is now at University here and loves it.

We have found the education here excellent, but then we did in the UK too.

Edited by fairystar32

I didnt find this with any of my children, infact my A star student at the local Grammar school was getting B's here. He found the work more difficult and said in his UK school they 'spoon fed' the answers, here he was made to work for them. I guess individual experiences :)

That sounds like a very good school in which case you will probably be paying for it.

This is a very weird thread.

OP has been left behind while husband takes job in Sydney on a 457?

Very strange.....

Well it sometimes happens.

But I think there was some research and some conversations that would ideally have occurred up front rather than now.

This is a very weird thread.

OP has been left behind while husband takes job in Sydney on a 457?

Very strange.....

It's not strange to me. We have PR (subclass 189). Still living in the UK.

Next year, we plan to move over to Australia, with me _possibly_ going first by myself for a month or 2. Our reasons are so I can get a job and/or be sure that it is secure(ish).

Everyone has there own reasons for doing things the way they do.

It's not strange to me. We have PR (subclass 189). Still living in the UK.

Next year, we plan to move over to Australia, with me _possibly_ going first by myself for a month or 2. Our reasons are so I can get a job and/or be sure that it is secure(ish).

Everyone has there own reasons for doing things the way they do.

some things are not adding up, when we came on our 457 visa we both had to attend a medical and blood tests ( 5 years ago now) so unless this has changed its a bit strange if you are named on the visa everyone on that visa has to meet the criteria in order for the visa to be granted this included going for medical in Manchester at a cost of about £500 .

There were no Medicals for me or my family when I got my 457.

457s generally don't need a medical, unless there are indications that there may be health issues in the family, or if a member of the family is working in a hospital, school, kindergarten etc - in cases like that a medical ma be requested, but not always. Its a case by case scenario.

For PR visas there is always a medical.