UK -v- Australia

tracy303

Having lived in Aus for a few years, and visiting a few places.

Why Campbeltown??

We live in Perth but OH has been working in Campbeltown for the last few months.

Ive visited ....its about as far away as the Aus dream as you could imagine. Sorry but I've lived in the highlands of Scotland and Yorkshire. Campbeltown would not in my eyes be worth uprooting for.

Yes Sydney is great, loved the vibe there, so much to see and do. Love the cheap weekend travel.

but the area you are looking at?? We went out for tea one night in Campbeltown, nothing open apart for some in the main mall.

Its cold, its dank, its bogan.

That is only my IMO ....I wish you all the best on your move

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he was sponsored it is very unlikely that you have a permanent visa. It is possible, but unlikely because that is not what employers tend to do because the permanent ones do not bind the employee. And if you do have the 457, please don't believe anyone that tells you "you can apply for PR in two years", I expect you will hear that as loads seem to think it. There is no permanent visa which has the passing of time as the only qualifying factor.

And to further this mention of a 2 year qualifying period; that is just the minimum time required to have been employed by your sponsoring employer in your nominated position to then be further sponsored for PR without the need to have completed a skills assessment.

If your husband could pass the skills assessment, then an application for a permanent visa could be made at any time. That may be an option for you.

I missed the comments on location and have to agree with Fifi on Campbelltown, I don't think it is worth moving across the world for. You don't need to go this far out of Sydney to feel out of the city. Australian cities are not structured like UK ones, a Sydney suburb will feel nothing like living in the city. Only the very central CBD areas would be like living in a city as you know it. Many will be quite, leafy and residential.

Unfortunately you are possibly underestimating Sydney rents, unless you mean you pay £1200 pm now in the UK not $1,200. Rents in Australia are given per week, for a three bed room house in a decent Sydney suburb, you would need $800 per week and upwards.

I think if research and finances are already pushing you towards Campbeltown, then perhaps this is an unwise move financially.

Guest Bobajob
Having lived in Aus for a few years, and visiting a few places.

Why Campbeltown??

We live in Perth but OH has been working in Campbeltown for the last few months.

Ive visited ....its about as far away as the Aus dream as you could imagine. Sorry but I've lived in the highlands of Scotland and Yorkshire. Campbeltown would not in my eyes be worth uprooting for.

Yes Sydney is great, loved the vibe there, so much to see and do. Love the cheap weekend travel.

but the area you are looking at?? We went out for tea one night in Campbeltown, nothing open apart for some in the main mall.

Its cold, its dank, its bogan.

That is only my IMO ....I wish you all the best on your move

Campbelltown outside the mall precinct and locale is very rural and has some amazing properties and residences. Picton isn't too shabby either

From our own experience (and not going into great detail) finish education in the UK. UK qualifications can be converted to Australian equivalent but not the other way round it seems (recent experience)

Our eldest finished his education in UK our youngest 14 at the time we came out is currently in education here and not doing very well at all, in hindsight I wish we had stayed for him to finish his GCSE's in the UK. In hindsight there are a lot of things I would have done differently but that is the beauty of hindsight....

:jimlad:

Campbelltown outside the mall precinct and locale is very rural and has some amazing properties and residences. Picton isn't too shabby either

We went to Picton once, well passed through it I mean. It was cute, but a long way from Sydney.

Guest Bobajob
We went to Picton once, well passed through it I mean. It was cute, but a long way from Sydney.

I know people who travel further on a daily basis eg Bowral

Firstly, let me say thank you for all your response which are much appreciated. Now somewhere along the line my hubby mentioned permanent residency so this is a point I need to clarify: are we on a 247 or PR. Obviously that would make a huge difference on where we stand.

We will be living in Sydney which I believe is really expensive for housing. My husband had a quick recce in Campbelltown and said it seemed nice and a lot cheaper.

It's very possible your husband has mentioned permanent residence even if he's on a temporary visa: it's common for employers to say that they will sponsor for PR further down the track. However, that has to be treated VERY cautiously because it's not a "will" - it's just a "maybe".

It's exactly the same as when you get a temp job in the UK and the employer says it will become permanent eventually. The employer is under no obligation to fulfil that commitment - if business is bad or needs change, you're just a temp and therefore the first to go. These forums are full of people who were "promised" PR and found themselves forced to leave the country when their 457 finished.

Yes, Sydney is expensive. Campbelltown is much cheaper and if you like rural life, it may suit you - but it is a very long way from Sydney proper and as an ex-Sydneysider myself, I don't really consider it Sydney.

Edited by Marisawright

And to further this mention of a 2 year qualifying period; that is just the minimum time required to have been employed by your sponsoring employer in your nominated position to then be further sponsored for PR without the need to have completed a skills assessment.

If your husband could pass the skills assessment, then an application for a permanent visa could be made at any time. That may be an option for you.

That is where the difference might lie because my husband has already passed a skills assessment test. Does that mean that he does have permanent residency then instead of the 457 visa (I have not been able to talk to OH yet to confirm)?

I think my OH looked at Campeltown quickly and thought that the property prices sounded fairly reasonable, but I think that my main consideration now will be to go to an area that has a school offering the IB as I do not want her to suffer at all with her education. I feel that way she will cover off all of her options.

My hubby is actually working in Riverwood and I guess we just looked at a map to see what places were in and around that area. It is very hard to make a decision without actually going out to see the place for myself. My daughter and I are planning on travelling out at Christmas for a holiday and to have a bit of a recce. I am also planning on going out before the Ozzy schools break up so I might be able to go and view a few schools. So my question is, where would be a good place to live within a 30-45 minute travelling distance of Riverwood NSW, but has fantastic schools, a friendly community, and is reasonably rural, although I do want shops. I do not want to live in the middle of nowhere lol! Any recommendations?

I think my OH looked at Campeltown quickly and thought that the property prices sounded fairly reasonable, but I think that my main consideration now will be to go to an area that has a school offering the IB as I do not want her to suffer at all with her education. I feel that way she will cover off all of her options.

Be cautious about the IB because my sister took the same route with her children, because they were thinking of moving to France. They decided to stay in the UK and when I talked to her recently, she was regretting the decision to put them through IB. I can't remember why but will talk to her.

My hubby is actually working in Riverwood and I guess we just looked at a map to see what places were in and around that area. It is very hard to make a decision without actually going out to see the place for myself. My daughter and I are planning on travelling out at Christmas for a holiday and to have a bit of a recce. I am also planning on going out before the Ozzy schools break up so I might be able to go and view a few schools. So my question is, where would be a good place to live within a 30-45 minute travelling distance of Riverwood NSW, but has fantastic schools, a friendly community, and is reasonably rural, although I do want shops. I do not want to live in the middle of nowhere lol! Any recommendations?

Riverwood is south-ish, I used to live not far from there in Oatley. There's an exit from the M5 there which is why your oh has looked at Campbelltown - it's a direct run. However the M5 can be at a standstill in rush-hour and it's a very long run if that happens!

You can use Google Maps to work out travel distances. Personally I'd be looking further south rather than going west - part of the Aussie lifestyle is the beaches, and in Campbelltown you'd be a very very long way away from them!

The Sutherland Shire and St George are the areas to look in - not rural, but leafy.

Edited by Marisawright

I'm interested in the 'logic' that infers you can extrapolate the experience from one solitary school across a country with different education systems in six states and two territories?[/

Sorry I was referring to the public system.

You have to pay big $$$ for excellent education, equivalent to the high achieving schools in the UK, but of course there are great schools in Australia.

That is where the difference might lie because my husband has already passed a skills assessment test. Does that mean that he does have permanent residency then instead of the 457 visa (I have not been able to talk to OH yet to confirm)?

It probably just means your husband's employer is serious about sponsoring him for PR eventually - but that still does NOT mean it's guaranteed. The employer is still under NO obligation to proceed with the sponsorship or even to continue employing your oh until the end of his contract: if times get tough, he can be terminated at any time.

Guest Bobajob
I'm interested in the 'logic' that infers you can extrapolate the experience from one solitary school across a country with different education systems in six states and two territories?[/

Sorry I was referring to the public system.

You have to pay big $$$ for excellent education, equivalent to the high achieving schools in the UK, but of course there are great schools in Australia.

I'm referring to the public system. You cannot compare a school in one state or territory with another as the system is totally different in each state and territory. Different syllabus, starting age, etc.

It might mean they went for the permanent visa, as it does always require a skills assessment. But 457 visa sometimes requires it as well.

Did you all take medicals? Including blood tests for the adults. Those would definitely be required for a permanent visa, but not necessarily for the 457 visa.

Guest Bobajob

Australia is better in most respects but you need to change the way you think and act. Many won't or can't make the necessary changes required.