417 Visa: Medical Cover

Malefici

Hi all,

Apologies if this subject has already been covered. I've looked through the thread and can't seem to see one relating to a 417 Visa.

I think I've managed to get the general gist of how Medicare and private health insurance works, but I wasn't sure if the same rules apply to a 417 Visa as it does to other temporary visas.

From what I can gather, I will automatically be eligible for Medicare when I arrive in Australia. It would appear I might need private insurance to fill in any gaps that I might need (dental, ambulance cover etc.). I know optical appointments are covered under Medicare, but wasn't sure what the prices were for glasses and contacts? I wear contacts a lot, so I wanted to get a general idea if it was worth me buying them while I'm in Australia, or keep my order here in the UK and have relatives send them over to me every six months.

I'm also a little concerned about dental. I have had on-going issues with my front teeth in the past (due to an accident when I was a kid) and have had to have a couple of procedures to rectify the problems. Touch wood, I've had no problems with them for over two years and my current dentist doesn't have any concerns at this time. I'm just worried if something goes wrong while I'm in Australia and I'm left with a bill I just can't afford. Is there any reasonably-priced insurance out there that covers dental? Especially with me being on a 417 Visa, with no permanent address? I've also heard with that private insurance isn't necessarily a benefit, that there are caps on the amount I can claim back, so if I have any procedures that amount to more than I can claim for, I'll be left in the same position.

With regards to ambulance cover -- is this worth getting if I'm not sure where in Australia I'll be? Initially I will be in Perth for the first few months, and I know you have to pay for ambulances there. However, I may end up moving around a lot and costs vary from free to hundreds of dollars depending on the state. Also, if I get medical insurance for this, will it apply regardless of what state I'm in?

I've looked into travel insurance that covers people on a working holiday visa, such as World Nomads Insurance, but again I don't think this really covers anything that isn't already on Medicare. Am I best off just getting travel insurance for my initial journey over there, and then putting aside money every month in case something goes wrong?

I would really appreciate your advice, guys :) Looks like medical is a bit of a minefield, and even more confusing when I have no idea where I'll be or what I'll be doing when I get there!

If your on a temp visa you will only get a limited cover with Medicare. Dentistry is not covered by Medicare so it may be worth looking into a policy that gives dentistry and ambulance cover (most states charge for an ambulance if you use one with the exception of QLD) so you know you are covered.

Cal x