London...1 day on

gee13

Well we've had some fantastic weather in London on the first day.. excellent sunshine and amazing late summer evening walks amongst the old buildings and parks. My daughter is in awe as the imageries and icons from Peter Pan, Mary Poppins etc come to reality....We are near Hyde Park so very central location to get about. Its 24 years on and it seems surreal.. It will be even more surreal as I will be walking into Old Trafford for the game for the first time since choosing to follow Utd in'82... in 6 hours time..The only thing I will have to point out is that the costs can clock up wayy easy.. we had cafe breakfast for 20 (2 pax) and dinner at an Indian resto was 26. You can get a pint and pub stash lunch for around 12-13.

The trip to Hamleys was an Eye 'opener' for the lil one and an 'EYE' opener for me!! I didnt realise how much a small size Paddington bear cost..32!! 12 !! for a small box of jelly beans!! General clothes and shoe shopping seems on par with Oz .. except I cringed to see Doc Martens boots in the shop on Oxford for 105. First impressions on entertainment are that its way out of my ballpark of affordability as a trip for us to see Lion King in the cheapest back row seats would come to over 100 quid. Tbh we'd rather walk around and enjoy the ambience/sights and enjoy the weather than sit in a dark room for 3 hours. I think if you had a family of 4 tourists you could easily blow 200 a day.. not including entertainment, accomodation or shopping.

Next .. we head for Suffolk .. will be looking forward to the fresh country air..

I love London ... but I can appreciate what it can cost to enjoy it..

It will be even more surreal as I will be walking into Old Trafford for the game for the first time since choosing to follow Utd in'82... in 6 hours time.....

First impressions on entertainment are that its way out of my ballpark of affordability as a trip for us to see Lion King in the cheapest back row seats would come to over 100 quid.

Well, I can't imagine your solo trip to Old Trafford is going to be leaving much change from 100 quid, especially if you are starting out from London.

When the Aussie dollar is down against the £ then it does seem more expensive! Hamlets is a tourist attraction rather than a place for the canny shopper unless money is no object (ditto Harrods!). Enjoy Suffolk - quite a different ambience entirely!

Well, I can't imagine your solo trip to Old Trafford is going to be leaving much change from 100 quid, especially if you are starting out from London.

Yes I know the train fares are not quite cheap return but I did get lucky with getting 2 tickets for less than 60 quid.. :cool: thanks to a very good friend's Utd contacts.

When the Aussie dollar is down against the £ then it does seem more expensive! Hamlets is a tourist attraction rather than a place for the canny shopper unless money is no object (ditto Harrods!). Enjoy Suffolk - quite a different ambience entirely!

Yeah Hamleys wasnt the place it was when we were kids... in the mid 80s.. and my first Subutteo set... they had a whole section to it... now its all Disney stuff.... and crazed hyper induced staff with bubble guns etc..

And yes I agree the AUD doesnt help the funds go far..

How long are you going to be in the UK for? And will you be using the train for all your travel? If so, it may be worth you getting a 'two together' railcard. It costs £30, but the you get a third off all your rail travel plus lots of discounts for attractions such as theatres, theme parks etc.

http://www.twotogether-railcard.co.uk.

Something I didn't know until last year is that during the holidays all trains are classed as 'off peak', so you can travel on any. Best to check this though as the train companies seem very good at changing the rules without notice!

My daughter and I were travelling on Northern Rail last month and she'd forgotten her railcard. The very helpful guard told us that it's cheaper for us to travel on a two for the price of one ticket anyway - it would have been more expensive for her to use her railcard!

Buying tickets for rail travel in the UK is far too complicated and seems designed to deliberately confuse, but the staff at the stations can be really helpful.

check Wowcher, Money Supermarket and voucher codes for money off eating out, or just google 'discounts for...' There's always lots.

Another tip... Buy your jelly beans from Tesco - £1.50 for three packs :wink:

Have a great trip

Just in London for few days then Ipswich for a week. Got family here in Surrey .. but soon will have in laws from Suffolk! So not long... thanks for the tip for 2 together.

And yeah...the local super is rather good and cheap.. got a 4 pack of large Carlsberg cans for 4 quid... 3 croissants for 1.50! but just couldnt say no to the daughter wanting Bean Boozled ones!

Just in London for few days then Ipswich for a week. Got family here in Surrey .. but soon will have in laws from Suffolk! So not long... thanks for the tip for 2 together.

And yeah...the local super is rather good and cheap.. got a 4 pack of large Carlsberg cans for 4 quid... 3 croissants for 1.50! but just couldnt say no to the daughter wanting Bean Boozled ones!

You're on holiday, of course you can't say no! We're on holiday too atm, my girls are 20, 19 and 17 and we still cant!! :laugh:

Well we've had some fantastic weather in London on the first day.. excellent sunshine and amazing late summer evening walks amongst the old buildings and parks. My daughter is in awe as the imageries and icons from Peter Pan, Mary Poppins etc come to reality....We are near Hyde Park so very central location to get about. Its 24 years on and it seems surreal.. It will be even more surreal as I will be walking into Old Trafford for the game for the first time since choosing to follow Utd in'82... in 6 hours time..The only thing I will have to point out is that the costs can clock up wayy easy.. we had cafe breakfast for 20 (2 pax) and dinner at an Indian resto was 26. You can get a pint and pub stash lunch for around 12-13.

The trip to Hamleys was an Eye 'opener' for the lil one and an 'EYE' opener for me!! I didnt realise how much a small size Paddington bear cost..32!! 12 !! for a small box of jelly beans!! General clothes and shoe shopping seems on par with Oz .. except I cringed to see Doc Martens boots in the shop on Oxford for 105. First impressions on entertainment are that its way out of my ballpark of affordability as a trip for us to see Lion King in the cheapest back row seats would come to over 100 quid. Tbh we'd rather walk around and enjoy the ambience/sights and enjoy the weather than sit in a dark room for 3 hours. I think if you had a family of 4 tourists you could easily blow 200 a day.. not including entertainment, accomodation or shopping.

Next .. we head for Suffolk .. will be looking forward to the fresh country air..

I love London ... but I can appreciate what it can cost to enjoy it..

Its great to be in one of the great cities of the world ,if not the greatest......just spent a few days in a city that should be a contender for the title ...rome .....loads of history,beautiful architecture...but Rome doesn't even come close ......london and Paris 1 and 2

You picked the wrong day to go to Manchester.....temps in London over 30 and blue sky.....gorgeous day!

I would take all the big stores with a pinch of salt.....expensive tourist traps.....get on the tube and go to the Tower of London....some lovely sights down there....or Natural history museum and science museum, all free and use the side entrance to avoid queues.

We go up for the odd show every now and then and £30 to £40 a ticket for a top London show is not that bad.....some of the cheap half price ticket shops have some good deals as well.....you should be able to see something for around £30 a seat.

London is a fantastic city.....there is something for everyone and every budget.....enjoy.

I really liked London. I was there when I was little before I went last year but don't really remember it so doesn't count. Tbh I wasn't expecting to like it because I'm not a massive fan of crowds but i ended up staying 2 nights more than I was supposed to.

loved the Tower of London. Didn't go to hamleys or Harrods though

:smile:

You picked the wrong day to go to Manchester.....temps in London over 30 and blue sky.....gorgeous day!

I would take all the big stores with a pinch of salt.....expensive tourist traps.....get on the tube and go to the Tower of London....some lovely sights down there....or Natural history museum and science museum, all free and use the side entrance to avoid queues.

We go up for the odd show every now and then and £30 to £40 a ticket for a top London show is not that bad.....some of the cheap half price ticket shops have some good deals as well.....you should be able to see something for around £30 a seat.

London is a fantastic city.....there is something for everyone and every budget.....enjoy.

Thanks...in London back now to enjoy the evening....well Manchester was overcast when we arrived but fine sunny humid and hot clear blue skies by halftime! Beaut barmy weather all round...!! :smile:

The weathers been truly amazing...esp the late evenings...Good luck on on the Brissy move Adam.. great place.. I remember Elephant and Castle... back in '84 was the last time. Nice place.. back in the day there was no M.O.S

Edited by gee13