Welsh in Melbourne??

Guest WelshInMelbourne

Guest WelshInMelbourne

The Irish are everywhere, so are the English. There's a scattering of the Scotts - but where are the Welsh? I'm Australian (a Melbourne girl) my husband is Welsh..and he misses the homeland..having a laugh with his mates, the sarcasm, the coastal drives, enjoying a good curry - any fellow Welsh living in Melbourne? We are in our 30's with a 5 month old son.

Hope to receive a response :)

Natalie.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest taffy 62

I'm Welsh but not in melbourne! I've been here 19 years and can count on one hand the amount of welsh people I've met! I dont think there are many of us here.

:sad:

Guest WelshInMelbourne

Oh really? Well we've been back from the UK for 2.5 years and haven't met any Welsh people here... ...looks like I'll have to send my husband home for a holiday and fix of the Welsh valleys! Thanks for replying. Natalie

Guest adey

We are welsh but we are over in WA and we haven't met many welsh people either, our friends are in Perth though so we get together for any 'welsh' type of events and were watching Cardiff play in the FA Cup on Saturday - they were robbed as they say!!!!!

And yes we miss the welsh sense of humour too and find we have to explain our jokes quite a bit - guess sarcasm really understood here but our friends are starting to learn (finally!!) and no longer call us POMS either but Welsh (yippee).

Guest welshlass

HI MY USER NAME IS WELSHLASS & THIS IS MY FIRST POST ON "POM'S IN OZ".

AS YOU CAN TELL FROM MY POST I'M WELSH ALSO,BUT WE LIVE IN A PLACE CALLED GEELONG.

i have met some people from wales but they have been out here 25yrs but they still have the accent.

We both miss the humor & the pubs and nightlife but after being here 4yrs we are getting used to it. But i know what you mean, we are lucky as our welsh friends live a few doors away so when i need someone thats gets me i go and see them.

WELSHLASS:smile:

Guest taffy 62

YEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are finding some welsh people in Oz:jiggy:

If I go back to Victoria to live I will come down to Melbourne and visit you:jiggy:

Guest welshlass

Thanks taff!

i will be sure to be on the look out for someone carrying a daffodil & maybe a pint of SA for o/h. :smile:

Guest adey

SA mmmmmm I used to work for Brains in the Brewery and sure miss it especially as we left in October and missed the celebration of winning the rugby again. But the girls sent me their photo's of holding the plate and the trophy - jealous !!!! sure am!!!!!

Miss all the freebies and beer vouchers.

Sarah

Guest smileygrandma's son in Oz
The Irish are everywhere, so are the English. There's a scattering of the Scotts - but where are the Welsh? I'm Australian (a Melbourne girl) my husband is Welsh..and he misses the homeland..having a laugh with his mates, the sarcasm, the coastal drives, enjoying a good curry - any fellow Welsh living in Melbourne? We are in our 30's with a 5 month old son.

Hope to receive a response :)

Natalie.

When we lived back in the uk, I watched a program about people moving to Oz, It followed a Welsh family, They where moving to patterson lakes on the mornington peninsula, I remember there were joining a huge welsh community that all helped them settle in, even giving them furniture to settle into there new home even though they were not related, They would all get together on an evening I think the welsh owned the whole area, It was a great show, Im sure if your ever passing by Patterson lakes, if you went into the local shop Im sure they would know of this welsh lot and direct you to them, the amount of them on the show Im sure they would not go unnoticed, hope this helps. Donna

Guest WelshInMelbourne

Wow - it was very exciting so see the number of replies and to know that YES there are Welsh people who have crossed the Severn bridge and made it over to Oz. My husband (Chris) had a good laugh about the comments on Welsh sense of humour. Chris loves the banter, but sometimes its lost over here and he's had to explain that - yes, he was joking. I reckon the Welsh are the most friendliest and outgoing people I know...well apart from Aussies that is..ha ha, well I have to say that being an Aussie chick. Actually they are definately the party animals..if a night out in Swansea is anything to go by! Thanks 'smileygrandma's son in oz' for your comments about the TV show and Patterson Lakes. Very interesting. We'll have to go there, wave the red dragon flag and suss it out. And WelshLass, Geelong is not far from Melbourne - only about an hour. Lovely place to live by the way.

Good luck MelPaul with getting your visas sorted and maybe if a Welsh get-together in Melbourne is ever organised (if anyone is interested?) we will see you there! The Welshy's in QLD will have to make the trip down to Melbourne for it. Natalie :)

Guest diannewo

Well you better look out now cause 3 more welsh are looking to move down under, just trying to sort our job offer to sponsor us and we will be there hopefully in 5 months time. Would love to meet up with people for a drink or two or three or four or five whatever takes your fancy. hwyl fawr:jiggy:

Guest WelshInMelbourne

Excellent! Hope it all goes well with the job and sponsorship and seeyou in 5 months... just in time for our lovely summer.

Guest Gaz12

my brother is welsh and has lived in Melbourne for five years he has married an austrailian, my husband and i live just outside cardiff but we are moving to melbourne in jan (fingers crossed) we are looking to live in Yarraville any reccomendations?

Guest WelshInMelbourne

Nice to hear about more Welsh in Melbourne. How does your brother like it? My husband misses Wales alot which makes it hard. Actually he is from Pembrokeshire - and we lived in Bridgend for a

bit - near your part of town.

As far as Melbourne, Yarraville is only about 10 minutes from where we live. Yarraville is now a nice place to live - it wasn't at all about 10-15 years ago (and I'm not exagerating)- and house places have now jumped accordingly. There is a pocket of the nicer area - with renovated Victorian style houses. But if you go out of this pocket, some places are pretty crappy. The main street is small but has some

great cafes/restaraunts etc and the best cinema. Its not your usual big standard mainstream style - very cosy. Link is..Sun Theatre: Yarraville, Melbourne, Australia

Found this excellent website recently which provides a summary of the inner city suburbs. Yarraville is listed..

Moving to Sydney or Melbourne? Find where to live with Cityhobo - Yarraville 3013

Its very easy to get into the city from Yaraville.

We are in Flemington - which is more inner city but still on the west. Its a lovely area. We live in a tree lined street, and are only 10 minutes by train to the city. Flemington is also listed on the cityhobo website. We are near suburbs Kensington, Ascot Vale, Essendon and Moonee Ponds - I personally think they are all great suburbs to live as well - that's if you wanted to live in the West. The West is generally cheaper to live than the Eastern suburbs.

If you wanted more for your money, you'd need to go further out - Werribee for example.

Anyway, got a baby crying so must go. Let me know if there is anything specific you wanted to know :)

Guest jocuz

Hi

We are Welsh from Caerphilly, been in Melbourne since 26 Sept 2007, we are also homesick missing thoughs valleys. My hubby and I are in our 30's and have an 8 yr old son. Where are you living? You are welcome to pm us. We have also noticed very little people from our homeland. Also the driving here is shocking you risk your life everytime you get in your car!

xx

jo

Guest WelshInMelbourne

Hi Jo. Thanks for the reply. We live in Flemington, which is about 10 mins out of Melbourne (next to North Melbourne). We are actually going to the UK Fest in Mornington this Sunday - would be great to meet up there if you're about. If you haven't heard about it, go to www.myspace.com.au/ukfest

I'll send you a PM with our phone number. So you can spot us, Instead of the red rose in my hair, I'll get Chris to wear his bright red Welsh rugby top. Ha ha. By the way, even being an Aussie, I have to agree about the drivers. generally speaking, Brits are such corteous drivers on the road - after being away for 5 years I really noticed how aggresive Aussie drivers can be. It seems to be always a race, and forget people letting you in, they'd rather speed up and pretend they didn't see you...well some of the hoon drivers anyway! Nat

Guest WelshInMelbourne

hi Abertawe, let us know when you are in Melbourne and we can find a central place for the game. Chris went to see a match Wales vs Ireland at our local Irish pub and he sat all alone!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest Bridgend Lad

Hi there,

I'm in Sydney in the Northern Beaches via Bridgend, married and Aussie and have 2 daughters 3 and 5.

If any of you ever make it to Sydney give us us a shout, love to meet up for a few beers and ayrn or 3!

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guess What!

We are Welsh, I am origonally from Caerphilly just outside of Cardiff, we are moving over in Dec/Jan and hopefully head somewhere near Geelong/Hoppers Crossing way. Keep me posted if any of you meet up after Christmas as we may just be there, we are joining our Welsh friends there also so we can bring them along LOL! Its all pending on the sale of our house now. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

• 10 months later...
Guest taffyinoz

hi welsh in melbourne, i'm from near swansea living in outer south east melbourne where do u live? by the sounds of it your husband & me miss the same things as home i'm a rugby fan too i'm 28 yrs old

Archived