Help-do single people move to Coffs Harbour or Port Macquarie

cee76

I have a dilemma and would like your thoughts. Basically due to changes on the Skilled Occupation List for 189 visas, the only way I can achieve my dream of emigrating to Oz is via a 489 visa for NSW or NT. I am now not sure whether I should stay in the UK or whether I should just go for it whilst I still have no other half or kids to consider. For the 489 visa I would have to live in designated regional area for at least 2 years and have been in full-time employment for at least 12 months before I could apply for P.R

So my question is do single people emigrate to Coffs Harbour or Port Macquarie, as looking on the forum most people seem to move to Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane?

If I moved to Coffs or Port M would I find life very quiet there?

Thanks

Depends what you class as quiet..I wouldn't find it quiet for who I am and things I like to do..I would love to find a job there n move to either one. .its not remote so it would be whatever you choose to make of it..I prefer those areas to the capital cities as you often get everything you need but for bit cheaper..more parking n less chaotic traffic...but if you didn't like it at least it could lead to pr and you could move on having had a life experience...I've only visited both places not lived there so no idea of how many single player there are!

.maybe they don't need to? It can sometimes be easier to meet n make friends with ppl in smaller communities than cities I think. I personally wouldn't want to move somewhere with lots of brits anyway. ..can stay in UK for that! Another reason I like it away from the capitals. .meet more Australians n settle quicker I think coz less ppl to sit n compare UK with!

Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour are both reasonably sized towns, both on the coast too, so popular with tourists. I'm more familiar with Port Macquarie, and it always seems a busy place. I do like Sawtell just south of Coffs too.

I was to talking to a girl from Port Macquarie the other night who told me that if you live there, you call it either 'Port' or '2444' (the post code) or 'P Maq!' (How cool is that!?)

You're right, very few people post about going to smaller towns but that's only because the big cities are where most of the jobs are, so most people go there first.

I've been to both places and they're both nice places. Port Macquarie is very popular with retirees so I wonder if that might be too quiet for you - Bournemouth in the sun? However I know a few younger women in Coffs Harbour through my belly dancing and they all seem to enjoy living there.

So my question is do single people emigrate to Coffs Harbour or Port Macquarie, as looking on the forum most people seem to move to Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane?

If I moved to Coffs or Port M would I find life very quiet there? Thanks

Maybe people who move to Coffs Harbour or Port Macquarie have exciting and busy social lives and don't have time to post on here :smile:

When I first moved here, I was way out in the outback, living in woop woop, out beyond the black stump, in never never land. No-one in town had ever met a pom before! Was there for three years before I moved to Sydney.

I am of the understanding (but could be wrong) that Coffs Harbour and Port Macquarie are big retirement areas.

This may help you:

http://port-macquarie.localstats.com.au/demographics/nsw/north-coast/mid-north-coast/port-macquarie

http://coffs-harbour.localstats.com.au/demographics/nsw/north-coast/mid-north-coast/coffs-harbour

They are meant to be really nice areas to live in from what people have told me - both good tourists areas too.

Edited by jumpingjellybean

I live in Port, and love it. Did the whole Sydney thing then central coast and now live in Port. Found it harder to make friends in Sydney. I work at the Base hospital, very sociable. Even met colleagues who came from my home town in UK. ( not that I knew them in UK) Loads of poms live here, but a very friendly town.

I live in Port, and love it. Did the whole Sydney thing then central coast and now live in Port. Found it harder to make friends in Sydney. I work at the Base hospital, very sociable. Even met colleagues who came from my home town in UK. ( not that I knew them in UK) Loads of poms live here, but a very friendly town.

Sorry to hijack the thread, would love to know a bit more about living in Port Macquarie Kate. We arrived in Australia early last year, and for ease started out in and around Sydney, but after visiting Port Macquarie a few months ago we absolutely fell in love with the place and realised we could get far more for our money there and live a great quality of life.

Another hijacker as I have secured a job in Port Macquarie. We arrive on 2nd September landing in Brisbane for induction, then as a family of four will be moving down :) Port Macquarie appeals to us as we have always lived in coastal towns. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I have inlaws in Port. It's a holiday town and it is far away from anywhere else. This is a mixed blessing: it has an airport but flights are expensive; it has a level of shopping, entertainment and infratsructure you might not expect from a town of that size - but if you can't find it in Port, you can't pop up to the next town to try there. There are pubs and venues that are busy at weekends - especially in the holiday season. However, I understand skilled jobs can be hard to come by.

I guess I am really biased we have only lived here for 2 years, we always came here for holidays and fell in love with it. House prices in Sydney and central coast were so high and port was seen as more affordable. We managed to buy a 4 bedroom house, with two lounges, games room! Swimming pool on a 780m2 block for just under $500000. However house prices have risen a lot in the past year, Husband had the opportunity for voluntary redundancy after 25 years working in Sydney, it has taken him a couple of years to secure a job, however I worked full time. Has good schools, my kids age 7,10,12 all go to private catholic schools, only costs us about $5200 a year for all three. There are good public primary schools, although I wasn't too keen on the public high schools. St Columba is probably the pick of schools (k-12), however would have cost me about $15,000 to send all 3 kids. My kids are not baptised but they are so happy in their school.

Things I love about Port, very community minded, have met loads of nice families, great beaches, affordable restuarants, great sports activities for the kids. Even after 2 years I still feel like I am on holiday. No traffic, only takes 10 minutes to get from one side of town to the other. The things I miss is definitely the shopping, not a vast selection of shops would love to have a Myer or David Jones, however not the end of the world as can shop online. Fuel seems more exspensive in a rural town than Sydney but not having to use the car as much. No train station in Port closest one is Wauchope. However one way to Sydney via plane costs between $70-120.

The biggest issue is getting jobs, so if you already have jobs lined up then would certainly recommend the move.

However, I appreciate that I am very biased. Lots of my colleagues who were born and bred in Port stated that as late teens the night life is not that exciting and many moved away to go to uni. Port is having a new university built at the moment.

They're both great towns in beautiful parts of Australia. Moderate sized - would you like to live in say Eastbourne or Scarborough in the UK knowing the closest big city is a 3-4 hour drive away? (Newcastle NSW). Thats the population size and distances you are talking. Some may like it, some may not.

Not sure how old you are, but I would avoid Coffs if I was young and looking for any type of decent night life. It really is God's Waiting Room, so if you are over 50, and retired, there are a lot of daytime activities to engage in. There are some very reasonable restaurants in the surrounding districts, but otherwise it seems to be the pubs - The Plantation, The Hoey Moey, The Coffs Coast, just to name a few (this info is courtesy of my youngish niece/nephew).

The town may have grown in size since I originally lived here back in the sixties, but underneath it is still the same - a very beautiful town, situated in a very beautiful region, but still very very dull, with a small town mentality that it just can't seem to shed.

It suits me at the moment, as I had a very high pressure job in the UK before I retired, so the peace and quiet is a balm for my soul, but I can see myself in a few years thinking 'Is this all there is to life?"

Edited by BackToLife
repetition