In visa process to move to gold coast

Hi I'm looking for help and advice on moving to Australia. I will be moving with my husband and 2 boys who will be 7 and 3 when moving. My husband is the visa applicant and I'm very apprehensive about the move an settling in and getting my boys into school and nursery.

Do we take pics sits with us sell it all before coming...

If anyone has any advice who have done it please get in touch x

Hi and welcome to the forum

There are lots of members who have moved to the Gold Coast surrounds with a family so fire away with any questions you may have and we will do our best to help you. It is a scarey time making such a big move but you will be fine, i have found people here so welcoming and helpful ,especially when i was new and knew very few people.

Cal x

Hi there,

We made the move to the Gold Coast from London last September (partner is the Aussie half of the relationship). Shout if you've got any questions or just want to chat! (though I can't help you on the school/nursery front - no kids yet ;) )

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi I'm looking for help and advice on moving to Australia. I will be moving with my husband and 2 boys who will be 7 and 3 when moving. My husband is the visa applicant and I'm very apprehensive about the move an settling in and getting my boys into school and nursery.

Do we take pics sits with us sell it all before coming...

Are you looking forward to it but apprehensive, or just apprehensive?

A cautionary note - if your husband has talked you into moving, you're only doing it to please him and you don't really want to go, stop right now. It's a huge and daunting task to move halfway round the world and leave all your family and friends behind. It's difficult enough when you're both 100% enthusiastic about the idea - if one of you is uncertain, it can all go horribly wrong. If you're in that situation, this is a good forum to be honest and share your feelings, and you'll find plenty of people who've been in your situation and can give you good advice.

Anyhow, that may well not be you - maybe you're as keen as your oh and you're just having some last minute jitters. That's normal, it's a big step!

As for your question - I'd say take everything with you, unless your furniture is very old and needs replacing anyway. It may seem like a lot of money for shipping, but it's not just the cost of replacement you've got to consider. When you arrive, you'll have 101 things to do to get settled - you don't also want to have to slog around furniture shops and kitchen shops, replacing everything you left behind.

If you ship your furniture, you'll also be able to squeeze in a whole lot of small stuff in the spaces - toys, books, kitchen utensils, pots and pans, linen, clothes, ornaments - none of which is worth much individually but will make a difference in making your new house feel like your home.

You do have to consider timing: it will take two or three months for your container or Movecube to get from the UK to Australia, so you have to think how you'll manage until it arrives. The best thing is probably to ship everything about a month before your move date - you can probably work out how to "camp" in your home using borrowed stuff from relatives or things that aren't good enough to ship, or maybe move in with the parents. Then you'll need to book a holiday flat for a month in Oz anyway, to give you time to find a house. There's two months gone already, so by the time you're ready to move into your new home, your stuff will have arrived or be close to arriving.