.........electronic dog collars

Guest241083

.........recently visiting a friend the little dog from next door didn't come to the fence to greet me..!

.........I heard it ,and then a yelp ,I looked over,yes nosy Parker ,to see an electronic dog fence set up

..........there he was with the collar,ready to administer a shock if he attempted to leave the boundaries...

...........not wanting to cause pain I went inside

...........to me this is a cruel and despicable way to control a dog.....

...........a lazy way to ignore training,and was shocked to read the RSPCA's feelings...

..........[TABLE=width: 700]

[TR]

[TD]Section 16 of the Act, Section 13 and Schedule 1 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (General) Regulation 1996 and Schedule 1 make the use of electric dog collars illegal. One exception to this rule is electric collars associated with canine invisible boundaries. These are not illegal provided the canine invisible boundary is used to confine dogs, but only used inside a fence through which dogs cannot pass and that is not less than 1.5 metres high.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Yes[/TD]

[TD]Regulation 4 and Schedule 1 of the Animal Welfare Regulations allow for the use of electric shock collars in the course of training a dog (excluding collars operated by a remote control device).

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

...........I agree that sometimes it is difficult to train dogs,but consistent and persistant training can and does result in a fair result

............there are also trainers out there if you need more from your dog

............why would anyone use such a barbaric devise is beyond me...

...........for those with dogs what are your feelings.....??

Sounds like a lazy dog owner who can't be bothered to spend quality time with the dog to train it properly.

Our local dog trainer said that there isn't a dog, young or old, that can't be trained to behave the way you want them to behave. And the magic ingredient in training a dog? Food, preferably fresh little pieces of meat.

Guest The Pom Queen

It's a long while since I did my dog training and psychology course. You have two types of trainers Aversive and Reward based trainers. You tend to find lots of conflicting advise between the two. The course we did was working with the police and custom dog trainers. They use Aversive training which is Negative Reinforcement and Positive Punishment, now the positive punishment is working with choke chains, electric shock, prong collars.

Then you have Reward Based Training which is positive reinforcement and negative punishment.

I will be honest in saying I don't think training can just be focused on either or. Each dog needs to be assessed to see which method will work best.

In regards to the electric containment systems without knowing the full situation it would be hard to judge. My immediate thought would be how is the little dog going to know the stimuli that caused the shock, if the pup was looking at you when he received the shock he is going to start fearing people as that's what he saw at the time and not an invisible fence.

I sometimes wonder why people have dogs. Too many too lazy to train them. Also, why do people keep them outside all the time? We had a neighbour in Sydney who kept two dogs in the backyard. They were never taken for walks or allowed in the house. We had a cattle dog at the time and she was one of the family - taken for long walks and slept in the house.

Guest The Pom Queen
I sometimes wonder why people have dogs. Too many too lazy to train them. Also, why do people keep them outside all the time? We had a neighbour in Sydney who kept two dogs in the backyard. They were never taken for walks or allowed in the house. We had a cattle dog at the time and she was one of the family - taken for long walks and slept in the house.

I would say 95% of dog owners keep them outside and they also seem to be deaf when their dog barks 24/7

Yep seems cruel to me re the electric fencing.Its funny you should mention the dogs kept outside thing.When I first got married (to an Aussie),we were contemplating getting a dog.I was brought up with dogs,and we always had them inside,as part of the family.OH however,had dogs whilst growing up,and they were kept outside.Personally I can't see the point in having a dog and keeping it outside.How often are you going to see it?Once a day when you hang the washing out????Dogs are pack animals and need company.We did buy a dog,and yep it stayed inside the house for most of the time (used to wedge the back door open in warmer months so it could come and go as it pleased).I think dogs are kept outside a lot in Australia due to the warmer weather,but I feel a lot of dogs get bored and lonely,hence the barking.

Have been watching "The Dog Rescuers"(UK).Horrendous how some people treat their dogs.Just awful!