You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

newjez

Why are we so gullible

It's always worried me how gullible we are as people. I like to think I am a questioning person, but I often surprise my self, usually on an issue of race or politics. I find myself thinking in a certain way that I had previously considered normal, and it shocks me.

I had a friend to stay with his American wife many years ago. My wife noticed them consuming large amounts of pills and inquired whether they were ill. They said they were vitamins. My wife asked why, because they had excellent diets. They laughed and told us it wasn't physically possible to get all the vitamins you needed through food. When we tried to argue that this just didn't make sense, they pulled reams of research out, and we just gave up because it didn't really bother us. But these were smart people, and I really couldn't understand they could be so dumb.

It really hit me when guys started showing their underpants. It really is that easy to manipulate minds. Nazi germany has nothing on the ad men. You want to quadruple the price of underwear. Brand it. How can someone see the brand of something you never see? Get them to wear the brand outside. So simple. So gullible.

But it really hit me when I saw a girl I work with buy a pair of jeans with holes in them for three figures. But they look like my gardening jeans I said. They're designer she glared! I just couldn't get my head round it. How could people be so stupid. Now they buy new jeans with the knees gone. The whole point of the grunge movement, a movement I love, was to fight fashion. But fashion just bought it. And now we buy clothes that are already worn out.

Couple of years ago girls wore low cut muffin top jeans. Now they wear high waisted jeans and crop tops. Who decides this? Who decides what works? Are we just sheep.

I thought about this thread when the milk debate was going. But I only decided to write it when I read Johndoe's politics type thread.

Do people not question anymore? Does it just take too long to think about things? Is this who we are? People who wear worn out holey jeans 'cause some fashion exec tells us too, and we never even question it?

Question. Please question.

Edited by newjez

........gullible or wanting to belong?

........birds of a feather...

........from way way back you were part of a tribe,that dictated your dress ,beliefs,food,house

........no one wants to be an outsider,well not many

........it's that inbuilt need to be a part of,it makes us feel safe

........and yes the fashion industry for one has milked it!

........wear these jeans like **** celebrity does and your part of the crowd

.........politicians with enough policies to suit our beliefs,we join,though often it's only the most advertised of those,but what can we do about the ones we don't agree with,it was a package deal

........minority/different from us makes us uncomfortable....

.........the girl who still wears punk,a individual statement and good on her for her individuality or a freak?

.........get enough people together to agree,wear it,eat in,believe in it.......you get a following

.........surely if that amount of people think it's good it has to be...

.........we have become lazy in our ways,it's easier to fit in.....because the majority do

..........tribal.......and the Chiefs will always choose the rules....

..........stand out and be different.......tend to be like marmite.....loved or hated.....but never belonging

..........not gullible.....just natural human instinct for most ...imo of course..

I suppose I'm not particularly gullible, cos I dislike fashion to the extent that I have difficulty buying the no-frills, flattering clothes that are to my taste. I just ignore designer brands, I will never go in most of the shops near my work in Brisbane as it's all high end stuff, Gucci, Chanel etc.

I do wonder how so many people earn enough money to keep those shops busy. Or maybe it's just credit card debt? I'd rather spend big bucks on a nice holiday!

The BBC show Trust Me I'm A Doctor has been great at helping people be informed about health claims of supplements, manuka honey etc. This week they even determined that frozen carrots are more nutritious than fresh organic. Mind you, am I gullible believing a TV show?!

She'll be right!

It starts in childhood. Wanting the latest brand of T shirt, trainers etc. Then when a bit older, tattoos, piercings - so I suppose it is people all wanting to be the same.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away :smile:

But it really hit me when I saw a girl I work with buy a pair of jeans with holes in them for three figures. But they look like my gardening jeans I said. They're designer she glared! I just couldn't get my head round it. How could people be so stupid. Now they buy new jeans with the knees gone. The whole point of the grunge movement, a movement I love, was to fight fashion. But fashion just bought it. And now we buy clothes that are already worn out.

Couple of years ago girls wore low cut muffin top jeans. Now they wear high waisted jeans and crop tops. Who decides this? Who decides what works? Are we just sheep.

Question. Please question.

I know I constantly ask women to get their jeans off

Fashion eh?

If following fashion and the changing times is a sign of being gullible, then it started many many years ago. Not just with holes in jeans or showing off your Reg Grundies.

You can go as far back as you like to find times when fashion and trend following were completely "normal".

The history books will tell you about men wearing tights, wig, high heels and make-up because it was the fashion of the day back in the Middle Ages. In fact I'd bet that some men in the House of Lords............... (make up your own joke!).

From Kilmarnock, now in Melbourne :-)

I never buy fashion brands. I do buy certain brands of clothing for work, because I have tried and tested them over the years and found what is good - North Face for a lot, Berghaus for boots and rucksacks.

Some could argue that my penchant for buying organic is gullible, but being someone that works with chemistry a lot, I think I can justify it.

I never buy fashion brands. I do buy certain brands of clothing for work, because I have tried and tested them over the years and found what is good - North Face for a lot, Berghaus for boots and rucksacks.

Some could argue that my penchant for buying organic is gullible, but being someone that works with chemistry a lot, I think I can justify it.

I know a farmer whose wife is a nutrionist. She wants him to eat fruit and veg with the skins on where possible (not stuff like bananas LOL) and he won't as he knows what chemicals go onto them. Makes you think!

I know a farmer whose wife is a nutrionist. She wants him to eat fruit and veg with the skins on where possible (not stuff like bananas LOL) and he won't as he knows what chemicals go onto them. Makes you think!

It is not just the skins that would concern me. Plants will take up any liquids that can access the soils into their cellular structure. Each chemical that farmers use is tested to ensure that is doesn't harm humans. The problem is that farmers use a huge array of chemicals and it is impossible to test how all the different combinations can mix to produce a new molecule.

The system is really quite incredible. None of us are immune really, it does help to know a little though, so your decisions can truly be your own.

One I heard only recently, that struck a chord (pun intended I suppose) is the music industry.

Most believe popular songs are played on the radio.

This isn't actually true, record companies make the most catchy, ear wormie songs they can (yes the ones that drive you mad as an adult) and pay radio stations to play them many times a day.

As most are not aware of this they assume others like the tune, people quite literally brainwashed into liking something.

same in politics, come up with a mad idea, repeat until the electorate submit, they always do.

if the idea is too mad to come right out with, announce it on a Friday afternoon, ideally before a public holiday, let the minor media coverage die down, then act as if its always been there when you come back to work.

yes we are a gullible lot, and this I think hits so many of my 'love to rant about' buttons it may be my new favourite thread ;)

Chicken, gave me a bad coupon.

It starts in childhood. Wanting the latest brand of T shirt, trainers etc. Then when a bit older, tattoos, piercings - so I suppose it is people all wanting to be the same.

I thought people had tats to rebell? Maybe they should just bar code them?

I thought people had tats to rebell? Maybe they should just bar code them?

Perhaps they had tats to rebel at one time. It seems that 50% of the population between the ages of 16 and 60 have them now.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away :smile:

As you get older clothes and stuff don't bother you so much- though you still wouldn't want to look like a dag, would you?

Perhaps they had tats to rebel at one time. It seems that 50% of the population between the ages of 16 and 60 have them now.

Even more than that, I think. I go to the local Aquatic Centre several times a week so see lots of people with most of their gear off :rolleyes:and I'd be in the minority of people who don't now have a tat.

(And not likely to get one, either. :no:)

So we're all individuals, I'm not, shhhhhhhhh!

As you get older clothes and stuff don't bother you so much- though you still wouldn't want to look like a dag, would you?

Jeans, T-shirt leather jacket casual.

Jeans collared shirt leather jacket, smart casual

Suit formal. Who needs fashion?

Jeans, T-shirt leather jacket casual.

Jeans collared shirt leather jacket, smart casual

Suit formal. Who needs fashion?

Since I've retired, I think I've only work a skirt or dress a handful of times :cute: Oh the joy of getting up in the morning and not having to dress smartly!

Everytime elections come round we show again how much we are swayed by the damn newspapers. The people voted in are the ones the journalists want to be voted in. Anyone who is not one of the two main parties will have filth and slander dredged up about them and can expect to be demonised or made to look like a fool. If you don't believe me- just watch when the next election comes round!

Everytime elections come round we show again how much we are swayed by the damn newspapers. The people voted in are the ones the journalists want to be voted in. Anyone who is not one of the two main parties will have filth and slander dredged up about them and can expect to be demonised or made to look like a fool. If you don't believe me- just watch when the next election comes round!

Sheeps:mad:

Our kids, thankfully, have no interest in labels and fashion. We go out and buy there clothes and they just wear them. They might have favourites but that's about it. I would hate to have a couple of teenage girls and have to clothe them lol

Loving life in Gods Country. Woohoo, look at me. 

I have a tattoo,but I've had it for 31 yrs (Im female and now 54!).No one can see mine either,so I didn't get one to show off!lol As far as fashion goes,never been a fashionista myself.Just always worn what I feel comfortable in,and never keep up with trends.My kids are the same.Yes I do question an awful lot,and always have done. My music taste is also diverse.As I always say...its better to be the shepherd,than a sheep!:wink:

When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix