Australian citizen entering Australia on a British passport - is it possible?

Cherry Allen

Yes it is that causing the delay. The airline have to contact immigration to verify status. They don't just accept certificates at the gate with no questions asked. As I said people have done it but it is risky, if you miss the flight no insurance will cover you as it is up to you to get appropriate documents to travel.

Could depend on the information the airline have. I guess when you apply for a passport they ask you if you hold other citizenship .

to the OP. Are your children citizens? As in did you actually apply for it and do they have certificates? I'm sure someone on here said they could get e visas if they had not yet actually applied to become citizens, but I am not sure this is right.

Also people have managed to travel by taking their proof of citizenship with them, although be prepared for delays and a frosty welcome! I'm not sure I would risk it. Easier just to get the passports.

Yes, my children are citizens. One was born in Australia, the other 3 are citizens by descent and have the relevant certificate.

Looks like its much easier to get the passports lol. Thanks everyone :)

Yes it is that causing the delay. The airline have to contact immigration to verify status. They don't just accept certificates at the gate with no questions asked. As I said people have done it but it is risky, if you miss the flight no insurance will cover you as it is up to you to get appropriate documents to travel.

If the airline doesn't check that you have the right papers (visa/passport) to enter the country to which you are flying, they lay themselves open to a huge fine for each person,plus the cost of flying you back if you are refused entry to the country. Thats not just Australia, thats everywhere worldwide.

According to the Australian High Commission, all passport applications have to be lodged in person at Australia House in London (appointment only) :( Three of my children have had previous Aus passports but because they have been expired more than 3 years its not counted as a renewal.

That is exactly the mindset of oz at the moment, terrified that people who are documented on their data bases might be on there way to be terrorists, so they have to see everybody and check them out, complete blind, paranoid, funk. Abbott has got the country running scared of the whole of the rest of the world.