Eastern Beaches or Northern Beaches Sydney.

Dawnlouise

If I see that ginger Scot I will be sure to drop in on him and ruin his surfing day!!!!

I am totally up for a drinking with anyone, who's willing and thanks for the tip at Collaroy...I will have a look.

Three weeks until I am in heaven then!!

Right now I am in a room in a house with 8 people. It's not my style but has served it's purpose. Cheap...and near Maroubra beach..but I am no young kid...and there's a lot to be said for sitting on your couch alone in your pants. Haha.

This time though I will have sunrises and dolphins!!

Argh!!!!!!!

I remember reading somewhere that, before the lifeguards will allow a surfer into the water in Hawaii, where those monster waves are, he has to run along the beach for a couple of hundred yards, then hold his breath for a couple of minute, in case he 'wipes out.' Well, running, or even walking, up the hill to Collaroy Plateau from Pittwater Road near the cinema, and then holding your breath will more than prepare you for the surf at Narrabeen! I've never been to Table Mountain but Collaroy Plateau seems similar to it. Every day I see tourist buses driving up and down New South Head Road, and I think 'Why aren't they annoying the people who live on Collaroy Plateau by taking tourists up there?'

I learnt to sailboard on the lake at Narrabeen in the 1980's. You rarely seem to see sailboarders there now? I think you can cycle or walk right round the lake now? There wasn't a proper path when I lived there. I felt safe cycling when I lived at Narrabeen too, something I have not plucked up my courage to do in Surry Hills.

But, I have to say that when I lived at Narrabeen on my own, as opposed to with my parents and brothers, I felt isolated, and I couldn't cope with commuting to the city. That was more of an anxiety problem as the service was (and is?) very good. I think the express 'bendy buses' used to do Narrabeen shops to Wynyard in about 30-35 minutes?

I just remembered that this month's NRMA magazine has an article on the holiday park at North Narrabeen. The NRMA has taken it over. I often wondered what it would be like to stay there.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learnt to sailboard on the lake at Narrabeen in the 1980's. You rarely seem to see sailboarders there now?

You must be looking in the wrong place - there's quite a few when there's a good North-Westerly. Most people launch from Middle Creek Reserve on the western side of the lake, but you also see people on the Eastern side in different winds.

Hoping to be back out there myself soon - but it's a little too cold at the moment !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hello hello.

So I have made the move. Oh my oh my. It's stunning!!

So. Up to now.

I've walked Dee why to north narrabeen

Manly north head

The lagoon

I've surfed at narrBeen badly.

Visited Mona vale

Palm beach

Long reef.

I love it.

I need a net work a local and. Cafe. Haha. 

Ah long reef. That was where I lived.

Reading all this is making me want to swop the Inner West for the Norther Beaches. Bloody hell! Think I would choose Avalon. What's the night life like in Avalon?

Avalon is gorgeous. I would love to live there, a thriving cafe culture but I don't know that it would have a buzzing nightlife as in clubs. But I am not a night owl and never sought that outl

Reading all this is making me want to swop the Inner West for the Norther Beaches. Bloody hell! Think I would choose Avalon. What's the night life like in Avalon?

From what I've seen of Avalon, it's a pretty cool place, sort of Surry Hills with a beach, or maybe Erko! It has a proper little town atmosphere, with bars, restaurants, and there's a cinema isn't there? Avalon RSL which I used to go back in the 80's. Last time I was up there, a few months back, I had a drink in one of the bars, felt a bit nervous, out of my comfort zone. I remember that to cover my nervousness, I started to write in my notebook and the owner was suspicious, thought I was either from a competitor or the licensing police. The crazy thing is, why would you make yourself stand out writing in a book when nobody gives you a second glance if you use a mobile phone!? There are some almost rural streets heading out into the bush.

If I lived there, I would never go south of Newport, but I would not like to commute to Sydney by bus or car.

Then again, Narrabeen is getting 'cooler' at least in parts of it, and other parts don't seem all that different from when I lived there in the 1980's. Should I have stayed there? I don't know. The second time, living on my own, I felt very isolated. Perhaps it would be different third time around.

I can just picture this scene. Were you wearing a fedora?

In an earlier age, i could have lit up a cigarette, and of course a phone gives you something to do with your hands. I don't mind walking into pubs on my own, but I find the smaller bars different, at least if I don't know them. Nobody really cares who you are or looks at you, but it's still hard to fight that feeling.

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone- is there a nice beach near Randwick? Easy commute?

From Randwick you have a choice of beaches! It depends how active you are, but we used to walk to Coogee and Bronte beaches all the time when we lived in Randwick. Lovely for an early Sunday stroll to the beaches in the winter too, for brunch in one of the many cafes, or a pleasant walk on a balmy summer evening for fish'n'chips on the sand.

Bondi, Tamarama, Gordon's Bay, Maroubra are all within a short drive by car, and most are reachable by bus. Or you can get the bus to Coogee and then walk along the coastal walk to the other beaches.

No trains, but there are frequent express buses from Randwick to the city in the rush hour. They are genuinely express because they use the Eastern Distributor, so they don't get stuck in traffic. The buses can get very full, there are always long queues at the Randwick shops - I used to walk back to the hospital so I could get on the bus first and grab a seat!

I really enjoyed living in Randwick. Cheaper than living in the beachside suburbs or closer to the city, but handy for everything with a reasonable shopping centre and some nice pubs/cafes/restaurants.

Edited by Marisawright

I used to live in North Curl Curl which was beautiful, but a bit quiet and the commute wasn't that easy. But Dee Why, which is next to North Curl Curl has a great social scene, a great beach, and good transport connections. Hope you find your happy place!! :)