Parley

Are you installing Windows 10 ?

It is released today.

Can't decide whether I should install it or not.

I want it all, and I want it now.

I would wait for the first update, bound to be some things causing early issues.

Not much difference to w8.1 on the surface, but it depends what you want to do with it.

If a bog standard desktop o/s I wouldn't bother right off.

Also if you are doing a clean install, should be ok, upgrading your old o/s always has issues which will be more risky the further back you go. Wait for others to try first and learn from their problems when they find solutions. Drivers might not be available in W8, let alone W10, so again caution if coming from older o/s.

As usual, the focus seems to be on media and social integration which I have little use for. Some of the big new features touted a few months ago are things you can do anyway with a bit of googling. They were so epic I can't even remember what they were!

I installed the beta release on a vm (virtual machine) without any problems, so I get a free 'upgrade' to the final released version (also have W8.1 so will get 2 license keys).

Edited by davlap

It is released today.

Can't decide whether I should install it or not.

My son has a windows 7 laptop that I have had no end of trouble with. I've have to do a complete reinstall of win 7, as it got itself rather muddled with its upgrades. It is running a little slow ATM.

We were going to go to windows 10 to see if it improved. If not, we will look at getting another laptop. (Four years old now).

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

Of course, it is the last ever version and after this one there will be no more only updates.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

I've been running it for a couple of months and certainly the last few updates have made it run pretty good

I'm upgrading my main computer to see how it goes

Doing a fresh install on my laptop

I have loads of customers waiting for my advice

At this moment in time stay where you are

If I have to reinstall someones pc then we might do so

I love playing with the new toys especially when still in beta hehe

....I Actually Live In Australia....And I'm Enjoying Life On The Gold Coast....It Is Possible You Know....

I'll wait for your go ahead Howard.

I'll wait for your go ahead Howard.

Unfortunately I gotta wait for them to let me get the link to download

No rush I guess

But I have to set up a blog on the subject on my website so it'll keep the phonecalls to a minimum lol

All good fun though

....I Actually Live In Australia....And I'm Enjoying Life On The Gold Coast....It Is Possible You Know....

I've been running it for a couple of months and certainly the last few updates have made it run pretty good

I'm upgrading my main computer to see how it goes

Doing a fresh install on my laptop

I have loads of customers waiting for my advice

At this moment in time stay where you are

If I have to reinstall someones pc then we might do so

I love playing with the new toys especially when still in beta hehe

kids today can do all their own installs and maintance, your customers must be silver surfers.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

kids today can do all their own installs and maintance, your customers must be silver surfers.

Not at all

I have customers of all ages

I agree the younger end are pretty good now a days

But they're also click mad and thats how mistakes happen

In business age is not something you can choose

My OH is attempting to install it on the spare laptop just so he can have a play. He's not planning on putting it on the laptop that gets used for a while to make sure they have most of the bugs ironed out and everything works with it.

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

Downloading now, windows 8 is too annoying. England could be in bat by the time i'm done :wink:

I don't think so, I've only got used to the last one that came with the laptop

so far so good

I've downloaded all the different images, created usb iso's and dvd's

On the upgrade all went well

I'll try a fresh install tomorrow if I get time or over the weekend

Lots to try before I say do the same

But watch this space

We installed it today, we have windows 7 and its awful, so have been waiting for 10 to come out :)

sorry, we have windows 8, not 7... cannot edit my post?

We installed it today, we have windows 7 and its awful, so have been waiting for 10 to come out :)

Windows 8.1 was actually pretty nice but it had to be set up right and tweaked to make it user friendly

Windows 10 has just tried to fix 8.1 by making it more user friendly from the off

Remember Vista it wasn't long before 7 fixed Vista because thats what 7 was even though they'd never admit to it

I'm tinkering right now. Cloned my existing setup, installed Windows 7 so I could upgrade then did a fresh install once my PC was registered. It looks pretty good so far and for free I'm very pleased.

Reverting back to my old setup so I can backup a few things, but I'll be switching permanently this weekend.

189 Visa - Electrician (General) 341111 - Skills Assessment (TRA) mailed 23 July, 2015 - Skills Assessment Positive 23 Sept. 2015 - PTE-A 3 Oct, 2015 (L90; S90; R90; W90) - EOI 5 Oct, 2015 (65 points) - Invitation received 8 Oct, 2015 - Visa Submitted 12 Oct, 2015 - Grant received 16 Dec, 2015

I had reserved a copy, but nothing has happened yet anyway.

It was supposed to download automatically, but it hasn't yet.

I had reserved a copy, but nothing has happened yet anyway.

It was supposed to download automatically, but it hasn't yet.

Take a look here if you don't want to wait

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/you-can-now-download-the-windows-10-iso-disk-image/

I didn't lol

Does it totally scrub everything when you install or does all your software and documents stay there ?

Does it totally scrub everything when you install or does all your software and documents stay there ?

Select the top option on install and everything stays

I'm away from my PC which had Win7 on it - can it be upgraded to 10 or would I have to buy 8 and upgrade through that? Not me, personally as I'm in UK and my PC isn't but my son (in theory) could do it! I didn't mind 7 but having looked at 8 on new PCs here has driven me to the Apple side but we do need a new PC.

Windows 10 is a free upgrade to anyone who has Windows 7 or Windows 8.1

You can upgrade directly from Win 7.

A Win 8 user has to first upgrade to Win 8.1.

Edited by parleycross

New PC's will still come with win8.1 for a while offering the free upgrade

Anyone wanting to upgrade just remember your computer will be the same and do the same stuff like it does now

You'll just have to find your way around the new things

I'd create a full image of your PC now before the upgrade

If you don't like it back to old setup in 10 minutes

Simples

I have been using it for a couple of days now and things I have noticed are.....

My system takes longer to boot up

It seems to have a few glitches as things freeze momentarily like when you open the internet browser or a new window, not all the time just some times

Other than that it appears to be good, I was using windows 8 previously and it does seem to be an improvement because it is slicker.