Coomera area.... What's it like?

Whitey287

Contemplating a move from NSW to QLD. There seems to be a lot of building going on up near Brisbane.

We are a family of 4 (kids 9 and 6). Is Coomera a good area? If not, suggestions on family friendly suburbs with good access to Brisbane CBD and coastal areas (also affordable - say less than $500k) :) TIA!

There are too many good areas to list,lol, driving around once your up this way will give you the best idea of a suburb. Coomera, Coomera Water and Upper Coomera are ok and popular with families, just check local schools out and make sure your happy with them.

Cal x

Bear in mind that travelling from the GC to Brisbane CBD is a total nightmare...

Personally I would look around Ferny Hills way and sack off the coast until the weekend when it is a lot easier to get to, or go somewhere like Wynnum if you must live on the coast

Do you have a job in the city ? i ask as you mention lots of building going on and most of the new house builds / estates are not in the city.

Cal x

when I said near Brisbane, what I meant was within an hour commute ;)

hubby commutes 1hr 45 door to door at the min into Sydney!! (Which is why we are looking at a shorter more affordable commute)

when I said near Brisbane, what I meant was within an hour commute ;)

hubby commutes 1hr 45 door to door at the min into Sydney!! (Which is why we are looking at a shorter more affordable commute)

Just a note that if you take the near the beach requirement out you could get it down to a 30 minute commute on your budget.

The trains aren't as bad now since they added extra at peak times

Still not fatastic but better

I much prefer living where we do than close to Brisbane but I don't work in Brissie

Coomera is nice I'm around there a lot with my work

So many nice places around the Northern Gold coast

Fingers crossed the light rail will be connected to the heavy rail at Helensvale and things will be so much better

Guest micman

Upper Coomera is a great place to live! Close to motorway and theme parks (for when the visitors descend on you):rolleyes:, plenty of local shops in Coomera Square and, at long last, the upgrade to Exit 54 will see the long awaited Coomera Town Centre finally built. House prices here are very competitive considering we're only a 20 minute drive from Paradise Point and 25 mins from Biggera Waters.

Just a note that if you take the near the beach requirement out you could get it down to a 30 minute commute on your budget.

We are not against inland suburbs. Just want a nice family friendly area thats affordable. Areas closer to $400k more desirable (more money in our pocket and less of a mortgage ;) Train access also something thats needed really.... just starting our investigations - it was always NSW as we have family here, however, our quality of life is suffering due a lengthy commute :wacko:

Upper Coomera is a great place to live! Close to motorway and theme parks (for when the visitors descend on you):rolleyes:, plenty of local shops in Coomera Square and, at long last, the upgrade to Exit 54 will see the long awaited Coomera Town Centre finally built. House prices here are very competitive considering we're only a 20 minute drive from Paradise Point and 25 mins from Biggera Waters.

Did you look at any other areas before you settled on Upper Coomera?

Guest micman
Did you look at any other areas before you settled on Upper Coomera?

Oh yes, we did some research and found that this area ticked many of the boxes. Ormeau is good value for money but the land sizes of the new houses are quite small, Pimpama has a couple of new estates and is well priced but, like Ormeau, small blocks of land.

Nearer the coast we looked at Labrador, Southport, Biggera Waters and Helensvale/Monterey Keys but they were well above our price range.

Be careful with real estate agents who will tell you they have the ideal property without listening to what you actually want. We wasted so much time when we first looked that we ended up using an on line agency and they were brilliant.

With a budget of $400K you'll find a 4 bed in Coomera and surrounding areas without too many problems. Oxenford is another good location so there's plenty of scope.

Hope this helps but feel free to ask for more info :-)

Hi Whitey,

Our friends live in Coomera waters and we have visited twice, lovely area and the houses are really nice and cheap compared to Sydney, got offered a job in Sydney and that's where we are going. We are going to stay there for a while and then move to Coomera in a year or two, great area for the kids with wet and wild, dream world, movie world and sea world all on your door step. Its only an hour commute to Brisbane central on the train, so shouldn't be a problem for your other half.

Neil

Contemplating a move from NSW to QLD. There seems to be a lot of building going on up near Brisbane.

We are a family of 4 (kids 9 and 6). Is Coomera a good area? If not, suggestions on family friendly suburbs with good access to Brisbane CBD and coastal areas (also affordable - say less than $500k) :) TIA!

If you do decide to consider non-beach places in Brisbane rather than Gold Coast here are some varied examples of family homes around your budget:

Ferny Grove

A quiet family area with good access to the city, countryside, samford village, mountain ranges etc. Has a variety of housing prices and quality of pockets so is a good place for a bargain in a family suburb. Dominated by end of the line train station as photo below shows...always get a seat :)

82914701.jpg

Peak hour commute 30 mins on train:

• 8.02am Depart Ferny Grove station, platform 2, Ferny Grove

• 8.33am Arrive Central station, platform 1, City

• Travel time: about 31 minutes

Note the asking price is often bargained against.

$479k: 4 bed, 2 bath, 2 garage

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-ferny+grove-119951145

<$500k: 3 bed 2 bath 2 garage

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-ferny+grove-119828979

$530k: 3 bed 2 bath 2 garage

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-ferny+grove-119863693

$439k: 3 bed 1 bath 0 car

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-ferny+grove-120085057

$395k: 3 bed 1 bath 1 car (on a busy road at this price)

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-ferny+grove-119840417

The Gap

A well regarded quiet family suburb surrounded by mountain greenery on all sides with long term well rated public schools, mountain biking, sporting facilities and clubs. A reasonably short drive to more vibrant parts of the city.

232-settlement-road-the-gap-qld-4061-real-estate-photo-1-large-7202423.jpg

Source: http://images.realestateview.com.au/pics/423/232-settlement-road-the-gap-qld-4061-real-estate-photo-1-large-7202423.jpg

Peak hour commute 30 mins on bus (note it is a huge suburb so location dependent, this is from the park and ride in the middle):

• 8.20am Depart The Gap park 'n' ride, The Gap (Brisbane City)

• 8.47am Arrive King George Square, 2A, City

• Travel time: about 27 minutes

575k: 3 bed 3 bath 2 car

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-the+gap-120230261

$545: 3 bed 2 bath 2 car (on local road)

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-the+gap-119969913

Edited by fish.01

We're not there yet but we were over looking at houses in coomera and its where my cousin lives and I think we'll end up moving there. We checked many different areas and found that although coomera is a little further from Gold Coast it offers everything you need at the best prices. We viewed quite a few show homes on the new build sites and for not bad money you can get a decent sized house and the areas seemed nice too.

Isn't helensvale the next stop on that timetable you posted or am I just misunderstanding ?

OK I thought you were asking about commuting between Brisbane CBD and GC?

If we're looking at Central to Coomara or Central to Helensvale (for GC) it's more or less the same?

The information is out there - good luck!