Make Raw Milk Legal for Human Consumption

Indianinoz

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone know if milk here in australia undergoes more or different treatment than milk in the uk?

I only ask as in the uk, if you leave milk out for a week or two it goes all lumpy and smells like liquid hell.

I left milk out accidently in melbourne when we went to adelaide for two weeks, we returned it was still liquid and smelt fine.

I wasnt brave enough to taste it, but it did make me wonder!

When I was 3 years old in UK I nearly died because milk was not treated in those days. I am lucky that I survived, nice idea for those that think its ok but its not a nice idea unless its tested and tested and tested.

That's horrible that you were so ill Petals but when and where I grew up, all us farm kids drank raw milk and were never ill. Mind you hygiene in the milk-house was top priority. Nowadays I can take or leave milk. I drink tea without milk and I dislike cream and never drink a glass of milk.

does anyone know if milk here in australia undergoes more or different treatment than milk in the uk?

I only ask as in the uk, if you leave milk out for a week or two it goes all lumpy and smells like liquid hell.

I left milk out accidently in melbourne when we went to adelaide for two weeks, we returned it was still liquid and smelt fine.

No idea how its treated but i've had it go lumpy and smelly here, it also 'parts' into 2 lots ( a bit like oil sitting on the top of water).

Cal x

I've drunk semi skimmed in both countries and it tastes the same. Where are you buying it from? Have to check the bottles in asda as I've seen bottles unsealed where it looks like someone took a swig.

Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose, Asda, Coop. It comes back to that coffee thing again - I can feel the difference it makes to the coffee! It's not so much taste as "mouth feel". The right milk will make a cafe latte feel creamy in the mouth - the wrong milk will make it feel exactly the same as a black coffee. That's why some purist cafes in Sydney won't even offer skim milk, they feel it's impossible to make good coffee with it!

The British semi-skimmed seems more watery than the Australian one, meaning it doesn't give that "mouth feel". It probably does taste the same, though - I don't know, I never drink it on its own.

Any milk that smells and tastes fine after even 24 hours without refrigeration is not good for health because actual milk spoils very quickly. Raw milk gets spoilt in a few minutes, boiled milk in a few hours and pasteurized milk in a few days. Boiled milk has a good balance of safety(in fact its 100% safe), nutrition(maybe not as nutritious as raw milk but certainly very healthy and easy to digest compared to raw milk) and stays good throughout the day if boiled.

So you drink pasteurized milk and I will drink raw mlk(boiled at my place). Simple! Why deny someone the right to drink raw milk? Like Veg vs Non veg, you will have people who have their own views of pasteurization vs no pasteurization. Respect each other's views and don't restrict them.

I guess the government feel the tax payer shouldn't be left footing the bill when people get ill for what could be an easily prevented illness. If your not even in Australia and you feel your basic rights are going to be impacted perhaps its not the right move for you?

Southampton? Are you living there now? Which part!?

We've got a flat in a new development in Woolston, which is an urban renewal area (think Redfern) very close to the city. We wanted to be in a city not a small town because we are so accustomed to an inner city lifestyle in Sydney, eating out regularly at cafes and restaurants.

What we've discovered is that you can't lead that kind of city lifestyle in the UK even in a city, because eating out is too expensive (mainly because there's no BYO and wine is expensive).

I'm curious too. I see milk here (UK) advertised as "filtered" and the bottle says it lasts longer. I've never seen that in Australia so maybe all our milk is filtered?

I've also been doing some Googling, and the only thing I found about longer shelf life was that as dairies become more mechanised and controlled, there's less bacteria finding its way into milk and therefore it lasts longer. Apparently in the US, different states have different laws about allowable "use by" dates, even though it's the same milk.

We've got a flat in a new development in Woolston, which is an urban renewal area (think Redfern) very close to the city. We wanted to be in a city not a small town because we are so accustomed to an inner city lifestyle in Sydney, eating out regularly at cafes and restaurants.

What we've discovered is that you can't lead that kind of city lifestyle in the UK even in a city, because eating out is too expensive (mainly because there's no BYO and wine is expensive).

Put some photos up from time to time. I know Woolston and sometimes used to cycle there. I lived outside the city though, being brought up in Blackfield, and then when I went back to England, living in Marchwood. I still have my house there.

Funny but I love living in centre of Sydney but if I went back to UK, I'd want to live in a village again.

I guess the government feel the tax payer shouldn't be left footing the bill when people get ill for what could be an easily prevented illness. If your not even in Australia and you feel your basic rights are going to be impacted perhaps its not the right move for you?

There are several other Australians who feel the same. I am not breaking any law. I'm only supporting the petitioner and I hope that if the Government listens then I will drink raw milk which is boiled. Else I might give up on milk.

I've drunk semi skimmed in both countries and it tastes the same. Where are you buying it from? Have to check the bottles in asda as I've seen bottles unsealed where it looks like someone took a swig.

I can't say we have noticed any difference, although my wife says the full cream milk here is much better and more like milk should be.

There are several other Australians who feel the same. I am not breaking any law. I'm only supporting the petitioner and I hope that if the Government listens then I will drink raw milk which is boiled. Else I might give up on milk.

I wasn't saying you were breaking the law. Anyway I wouldn't get your hopes up too much I cant see any change in policy on this issue.

I am sorry that you have experienced this but believe me it is perfectly possible to lead that kind of lifestyle, we have certainly not found eating out to be expensive neither have we found wine to be expensive. I'm not entirely sure why the area you have found yourself is so expensive but I do suggest you move if at all possible.

I wasn't saying you were breaking the law. Anyway I wouldn't get your hopes up too much I cant see any change in policy on this issue.

Can you please confirm if sale of raw milk is banned everywhere in Australia? Or are there regions/states/territories where they allow sale of raw milk?

I am sorry that you have experienced this but believe me it is perfectly possible to lead that kind of lifestyle, we have certainly not found eating out to be expensive neither have we found wine to be expensive. I'm not entirely sure why the area you have found yourself is so expensive but I do suggest you move if at all possible.

We've had this conversation before. I'm quite prepared to believe things are cheaper further north, but as you're not a wine drinker, maybe you're not fully aware how expensive it is. In Australia, we used to buy reasonable wine - our budget was between $10 and $12 a bottle. We struggle to find wine in any of the supermarkets for £5 or £6 - they do exist as specials but the choice is always limited.

In Australia we would then take a bottle to the restaurant when we ate out. In the UK, we have to buy the bottle from the restaurant or pub - and the cheapest I've seen on the menu is £11 (in other words, double the cost of our BYO bottle). Most restaurants charge far more than that. If we decide to economise and just have a glass, it's likely to cost £3 to £4 - so just one glass each, and again we've spent more on wine than we would've in the UK for our whole bottle!

That means that, even if we find a restaurant where the food prices are similar to the UK, it's going to cost us considerably more.

I'm trying to think what was redeveloped in Woolston? A dockyard? As you go down the eastern edge of Soton water - Netley I think, you are opposite my area.

When I was a kid we'd sometimes take the shortcut to Southampton via the chain ferry at Woolston.

No bridge there, then. It's all different now.

We've had this conversation before. I'm quite prepared to believe things are cheaper further north, but as you're not a wine drinker, maybe you're not fully aware how expensive it is. In Australia, we used to buy reasonable wine - our budget was between $10 and $12 a bottle. We struggle to find wine in any of the supermarkets for £5 or £6 - they do exist as specials but the choice is always limited.

In Australia we would then take a bottle to the restaurant when we ate out. In the UK, we have to buy the bottle from the restaurant or pub - and the cheapest I've seen on the menu is £11 (in other words, double the cost of our BYO bottle). Most restaurants charge far more than that. If we decide to economise and just have a glass, it's likely to cost £3 to £4 - so just one glass each, and again we've spent more on wine than we would've in the UK for our whole bottle!

That means that, even if we find a restaurant where the food prices are similar to the UK, it's going to cost us considerably more.

Yes we have had this conversation before and because it isn't what we are seeing I still disagree lol. I do drink wine, not sure where you got the idea I dont but I do prefer cider.

It's very easy to find a good £5 bottle of wine in most of the supermarkets. The reason I disagree with much of what you say is because it isn't what we are finding. I have noticed you say something like you can't live a city lifestyle as it's too expensive in the UK, actually it is perfectly possible to do it in the UK but you haven't been able to do it where you are. I sincerely believe for your own long term good you need to move, even just as far as Bristol for instance. Also it doesn't help that you are using $ as this seems to be artificially inflating what you are spending. I'm really not having a go at you, I do feel where you have found yourself is seriously distorting your view.

Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose, Asda, Coop. It comes back to that coffee thing again - I can feel the difference it makes to the coffee! It's not so much taste as "mouth feel". The right milk will make a cafe latte feel creamy in the mouth - the wrong milk will make it feel exactly the same as a black coffee. That's why some purist cafes in Sydney won't even offer skim milk, they feel it's impossible to make good coffee with it!

The British semi-skimmed seems more watery than the Australian one, meaning it doesn't give that "mouth feel". It probably does taste the same, though - I don't know, I never drink it on its own.

The water the cows drink would be different. You can get a very hard water in the UK. Not sure how this would affect the milk.

When we were students we used to get half cut before we went out to save money. But I guess thus doesn't help if you want to actually drink the wine with the meal!