Make Raw Milk Legal for Human Consumption

Indianinoz

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to highlight an important issue ongoing throughout Australia. The Australian Government has banned raw milk from human consumption and allows only pasteurized milk. Pasteurized milk, though safe, is devoid of essential nutrients. We in India and almost every other country are allowed the basic right to drinking milk in pure form. Obviously, we do boil it at home but boiling(which makes the milk totally safe) retains most nutrients whereas pasteurized loses most its nutrients.

I believe everyone should have a right to drink raw milk. If the consumer wants to drink pasteruized milk, it is his/her choice. But in now way should he be denied his right to drink raw milk.

Thanks!

Edited by ali
link removed

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to highlight an important issue ongoing throughout Australia. The Australian Government has banned raw milk from human consumption and allows only pasteurized milk. Pasteurized milk, though safe, is devoid of essential nutrients. We in India and almost every other country are allowed the basic right to drinking milk in pure form. Obviously, we do boil it at home but boiling(which makes the milk totally safe) retains most nutrients whereas pasteurized loses most its nutrients.

I believe everyone should have a right to drink raw milk. If the consumer wants to drink pasteruized milk, it is his/her choice. But in now way should he be denied his right to drink raw milk.

If you agree, I request you to please sign this petition:

https://www.change.org/p/the-australian-government-make-raw-milk-legal-for-human-consumption

Comments are welcome. (If you have signed I'd be great to hear the same from you on this thread). Thanks!

Seriously? Do you know what the pasteurisation process involves? I'm speechless.

Suggest you have a read mate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurization

Seriously? Do you know what the pasteurisation process involves? I'm speechless.

Suggest you have a read mate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurization

Those pathogen/bacteria are very healthy for your body. If you believe pasteurized milk is good, you can go for it. But for people like me(and there are many like me) who wish to drink raw milk(but boiled at our home) they should have the option open. Why not give the option to the consumer?

Pasteurization is not the way out. Boiling is the way out. We Indians(and all other Asians and Europeans) have been doing this since thousands of years without any ill effects(and with great effects on our body).

Those pathogen/bacteria are very healthy for your body. If you believe pasteurized milk is good, you can go for it. But for people like me(and there are many like me) who wish to drink raw milk(but boiled at our home) they should have the option open. Why not give the option to the consumer?

Pasteurization is not the way out. Boiling is the way out. We Indians(and all other Asians and Europeans) have been doing this since thousands of years without any ill effects(and with great effects on our body).

How can boiling be better than pasteurisation? Boiling kills everything and the taste. Pasteurisation retains the taste and some microbes. If you want boiled milk, just boil pasteurised milk.

Edited by newjez

Pasteurisation involves heating the milk to temperatures below boiling. By boiling the milk at home you are effectively pasteurising it yourself, and destroying all the same nutrients that get destroyed by pasteurisation anyway. In the UK it is legal to buy milk from the farm door but it is not legal to distribute raw milk. I honestly don't believe it is in anyone's interest to make it legal to distribute raw milk due to the potential dangers if not stored correctly during the distribution cycle. I do believe it should be legal to allow people to purchase fresh raw milk direct from the farmer for home consumption.

Hello everyone,

If you agree, I request you to please sign this petition:

https://www.change.org/p/the-australian-government-make-raw-milk-legal-for-human-consumption

Comments are welcome. (If you have signed I'd be great to hear the same from you on this thread). Thanks!

Are we banned from drinking it? Or are we just banned from selling it? I couldn't care really either way to be honest.

I do agree that for 1000s of years we seemed to manage with milk straight from the cow. I do feel we process food, I include milk, way too much. I'm not saying milk shouldn't be pasteurised but with so much nowadays we are just being molly coddled too much. Milk years ago used to be like cream now it is like water.

Isn't it already banned or at least illegal to sell as drinking milk? It's available as cleopatras milk/ bath milk.. but it is well known that consumers buy it for the purpose of drinking and not cosmetic. I used it myself when nursing my 4 month old, I'd read online that raw milk can increase supply of breast milk.. and for me it did. That said, I would never allow my child to drink it. There is very good reason for pasteurising milk, and as someone said before.. it sounds like you've been doing this yourself for many years, if not 'over treating' the milk & thus diminishing the available nutrients. I can't see this being a big deal. Raw milk will always be available direct from the farm if you so want it.

I do agree that for 1000s of years we seemed to manage with milk straight from the cow. I do feel we process food, I include milk, way too much. I'm not saying milk shouldn't be pasteurised but with so much nowadays we are just being molly coddled too much. Milk years ago used to be like cream now it is like water.

If you want the child mortality rates of Africa then sure, go for it.

Isn't it already banned or at least illegal to sell as drinking milk? It's available as cleopatras milk/ bath milk.. but it is well known that consumers buy it for the purpose of drinking and not cosmetic. I used it myself when nursing my 4 month old, I'd read online that raw milk can increase supply of breast milk.. and for me it did. That said, I would never allow my child to drink it. There is very good reason for pasteurising milk, and as someone said before.. it sounds like you've been doing this yourself for many years, if not 'over treating' the milk & thus diminishing the available nutrients. I can't see this being a big deal. Raw milk will always be available direct from the farm if you so want it.

http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournutritionist/f/pasteurized.htm

How can boiling be better than pasteurisation? Boiling kills everything and the taste. Pasteurisation retains the taste and some microbes. If you want boiled milk, just boil pasteurised milk.

So you drink pasteurized milk and I will drink raw mlk(boiled at my place). Simple! Why deny someone the right to drink raw milk? Like Veg vs Non veg, you will have people who have their own views of pasteurization vs no pasteurization. Respect each other's views and don't restrict them.

There was also a much lower life expectancy. I am sure some advancements in food hygiene, such as pasteurisation of milk, have played a part in extending lives.

Pregnant and breastfeeding woman shouldn't do this, shouldn't do that.. let's just leave that decision to the pregnant & breastfeeding woman shall we. Generations have gotten by on worse diets and still managed to grow & nourish their offspring. Breastfeeding woman does not equate to immunocompromised! At 36 years of age I've been exposed to many pathogens and have a healthy immune system as a result! My now 13month old never had so much as a cold until starting daycare, is extremely healthy and active.. and obviously still building a strong immune system, therefore unpasteurised milk is off the table for him.

There was also a much lower life expectancy. I am sure some advancements in food hygiene, such as pasteurisation of milk, have played a part in extending lives.

More likely down to better medicine and general hygiene. I'm not sure pasteurised milk extends your life but I do know that cider does lol

More likely down to better medicine and general hygiene. I'm not sure pasteurised milk extends your life but I do know that cider does lol

No equally likely. Better medicine, hygiene and food hygiene will all have contributed to longer life expectancies.

And who said that pasteurised milk extends your life? Life expectancy is a statistic based on averages. If something that used to kill numbers of people is eliminated, then the average age at death (life expectancy) will go up. That is not the same as saying drink a pint of pasteurised milk and you will live longer.

Pregnant and breastfeeding woman shouldn't do this, shouldn't do that.. let's just leave that decision to the pregnant & breastfeeding woman shall we. Generations have gotten by on worse diets and still managed to grow & nourish their offspring. Breastfeeding woman does not equate to immunocompromised! At 36 years of age I've been exposed to many pathogens and have a healthy immune system as a result! My now 13month old never had so much as a cold until starting daycare, is extremely healthy and active.. and obviously still building a strong immune system, therefore unpasteurised milk is off the table for him.

No problem. You keep filling in your entries for the Darwin award.

So you drink pasteurized milk and I will drink raw mlk(boiled at my place). Simple! Why deny someone the right to drink raw milk? Like Veg vs Non veg, you will have people who have their own views of pasteurization vs no pasteurization. Respect each other's views and don't restrict them.

Deep breath. Look, I'm not a micro biologist, but even I know that bacteria create toxins that can't be removed by cooking. Why do you think you can't take an off piece of raw chicken, cook it, and then eat it? Neuro toxins created by bacteria can be lethal. But drink what you want mate, just don't come knocking on my door when you need new kidneys and a liver.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbial_toxins

It is illegal in Australia. End of. You demand the right to break the law? If we all do that, they you are promoting anarchy.