ADF transfers

Guest Al&Jo

Guest spray21

Geordie - interesting to hear from someone who is there already.

What's your perception of mess-life for officers?

And would you say there is a stronger/friendlier army community out there in comparison to the UK? (This is something I have heard from other people).

Martin - if you read this before you go then GOOD LUCK with the jouney! If I'm too late, then I hope it went well and let us know how it is for you 'on the other side'!

Re drops in seniority - this seems a common factor in most offers, I suppose they would argue that it will take time to learn their way of doing things and to settle in before you can be as effective as you were in the UK. They are also offering the chance to live in Australia with citizenship! So as others have said it's a question of weighing it up and deciding what you want for yourself. Money-wise, beware of converting $ straight to £, as it will not give you an accurate idea of the lifestyle you would be able to afford out there.

There seems to be more and more of us ADF people all the time! Good to have a place to swap ideas & info. Hope things are progressing for everyone - soon be there! :wink:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thistles and gum trees

Thanks for your reply spray21

I wondered as you said you were off to Aus next year, how long between your offer at interview and your offer on paper. We were given the offer at interview on 23rd October but have still received nothing in the post. This leaves us a little jittery as only got 10 months left in the forces. We are currently overeas and will be until 8 weeks before we leave. Does that give un enough time etc. Unlike some of the others, we don't have to take a drop in rank - only in seniority so that looks good.

Is there anyone else out there who is going about that time? (end Oct 07)

Or anyone else who is heading for Victoria and wants to make contact?

Thanks.

Guest uksniper

I am in the same boat as Dave Asher. I am a WO1 and was offered a job as a Sgt on the interview. The interview took place on 13 Oct 06 in London. They did say that a mistake had been made on my Job Evaluation and they would get back to me with either a WO2 or Capt post.

I received an email this morning stating no vacancies as a Capt for my skill set and my time of arrival. It's not looking good for the WO2 either. At the end of the day its a whole quality of life issue. I've been offered a commission in the British Army but it has still not swayed me to stay.

Salisbury Plain or Australia????????

I think its an easy decision no matter what rank you will be. If after 4 yrs you don't like it then sack it and come home. You will always have the option to go back as you will then have the passport in your back pocket.

As for the formal offer I have to give them a decision by Friday then they will send the formal Written Offer. I know a couple of other lads that were on interview around the same dates and they have only just received the written offer.

They told us on the interview that there were 1800 applications this year and 140 interviews. Less than 10%. Not good odds.

Guest Dave_Asher

Hi all,

I rang SCMA last night after receiving an email asking me why I had not replied to the revised Offer, an email which I had not received! After chatting to the WO2 they resent it, what great news. They have revaluated my case and offered me a SGT in the RAAOC attached to the 4 RAR CDO in NSW. Took me 5 mins to download, print, sign, scan and send back my reply of acceptance.

So after pleading my case I have not only managed to upgrade my rank but am now back with the Commando's where I belong. So it proves the point - if you want something bad enough then go for it. Maybe I was lucky or SCMA just got fed up with me being the “winging pom” but surly there must be a God! Still don’t know if I would have accepted the first offer!

My advise is to keep pestering SCMA, if “uksniper” is correct in that there are about 1800 applicants then that’s a hell of a lot of emails so pick up the phone and ring them. That way you get an instant reply, it may not be what you want, but at least it beats the waiting.

UPDATE ON SCMA

The reason why SCMA need replies back by this Friday is that they are having a man power change and are due to start their Xmas/Summer leave, I know the WO2 there is being posted and is trying to tie up the loose ends before she does her hand over. Also I am told that the vast majority of personnel get drafted during the months of Dec and Jan so there will be a slow down on processing people applications.

I just feel that so far I have been extremely fortunate and pray that the next stages go without a hitch. I would also like to thank all those people who have shared their experiences and passed on their advice to me and wish you all the best in your applications. If I can help anyone else or you need advice/support then please feel free to drop me line.

Regards

Dave

Guest spray21

Dave - congratulations! :) Do you know if you will retake commando course once at Holsworthy? Would be interested to find out what info you have been given. PM me if you prefer.

thistles and gum trees - our gap between interview and written offer was about four or five weeks. However, we were one of the last interviews before they returned to Oz. They explained that they do a couple of weeks of interviews, then return to Oz to do all the paperwork, then send out offers - so it can take a while before we get them in the UK.

If unsure, ring them - best way to actually talk to a real person and find out what's going on.

I get the impression that there is some flexibility in rank/destination, depending on who you are and what you're asking for - and what everyone else wants. But then wherever you get offered, it is still Australia!! And there is always the possibility of moving location after a year or two. Got to think of the big picture!

Guest Marie and Paul

We also had an email from Sharon at SCMA asking why she had not heard from us since receiving the Labour Agreement, on 26 Oct (interview was Apr) emailed back saying that we sent off Visa app and Medicals on 27 Oct and have still not had confirmation from DIMA that our application has been successful, getting a bit panicky as OH is out of the Army in Jan 07 even though we know we can keep the qtr for however long we need it for, doesnt help with schools here asking when the boys will be leaving.

Friend of ours got their CO within two weeks asking them to go ahead and get their medicals, we decided to this upfront to speed things along as we are due to go on leave for a few weeks overseas.

OH tells me not to worry and it will all come good, but you know what us women are like and especially as it is out of our hands, so we have no control.

Hopefully while we are away something will happen and we can get teh removals arranged immediately when we get back.

Fingers crossed, and everything else that can be.

Well done Dave on your news.

Hi all,

I rang SCMA last night after receiving an email asking me why I had not replied to the revised Offer, an email which I had not received! After chatting to the WO2 they resent it, what great news. They have revaluated my case and offered me a SGT in the RAAOC attached to the 4 RAR CDO in NSW. Took me 5 mins to download, print, sign, scan and send back my reply of acceptance.

So after pleading my case I have not only managed to upgrade my rank but am now back with the Commando's where I belong. So it proves the point - if you want something bad enough then go for it. Maybe I was lucky or SCMA just got fed up with me being the “winging pom” but surly there must be a God! Still don’t know if I would have accepted the first offer!

My advise is to keep pestering SCMA, if “uksniper” is correct in that there are about 1800 applicants then that’s a hell of a lot of emails so pick up the phone and ring them. That way you get an instant reply, it may not be what you want, but at least it beats the waiting.

UPDATE ON SCMA

The reason why SCMA need replies back by this Friday is that they are having a man power change and are due to start their Xmas/Summer leave, I know the WO2 there is being posted and is trying to tie up the loose ends before she does her hand over. Also I am told that the vast majority of personnel get drafted during the months of Dec and Jan so there will be a slow down on processing people applications.

I just feel that so far I have been extremely fortunate and pray that the next stages go without a hitch. I would also like to thank all those people who have shared their experiences and passed on their advice to me and wish you all the best in your applications. If I can help anyone else or you need advice/support then please feel free to drop me line.

Regards

Dave

Congratulations Dave.

Can I ask when they are posting you - is it in this financial year or next? Just wondering as we are waiting to hear, but won't be able to go until next October (which is in their next financial year).

Thanks

Guest Dave_Asher

M&P

Thanks for that and yes I agree with you its horrible when things are out of your hands and there seems to be nothing you can do but wait and wait and wait.

Guest Dave_Asher

Hi thistles and gum trees,

Only at the formal offer stage at the mo so have to wait for the Labour agreement then it will be meds/police check for the visa. When you look at it like that we still seem to be a hell of a long way away from our final destination and many things could still go wrong (Oh the pessimist I am).

Has taken us what seems ages to get this far, fighting my corner all the way and I am paranoid that they could change things at the last moment - there I go again.

I am looking at another 6 months before I can finally set foot in OZ, thats what I am working on anyway. unsure if that is way over the top - anything less will be a bonus.

Hi Spray,

Currently sat in the Mill Gloucester hotel in London. Sign on tomorrow AM then fly PM. With two young girls it has been challenging since selling hse and the furniture going but we are looking forward to the move. If you're still going to Singleton I will meet you there. In the mean time email me for any info.

Regards, Martin

Hi Martin,

Was so excited to hear where you are and how close it is! It makes it seem so real to know that someone is actually right at the end of this wait. We are back in the "waiting for the written offer stage" and I can't imagine what it must feel like to be where you are now. Are your children of school age and if so how much info did you get form the redlo to sort out schools etc? Also which airline has the contract for your flights and where are you stopping off? We hope to be going to Melbourne next October. My OH out of Military here on 22nd and has been told he can sign 23rd, was it that close in dates for you? Thanks again for any info. Have a great trip and enjoy the start of this adventure!

Blessings, Thistles and Gum Trees...........

Hi Martin, Sorry me again.

I just read one of your earlier posts when you said you had visited the Newcastle area and checked it out for quarters etc. We are expecting to be posted to Williamtown after a training period in Victoria and wondered if you had looked around that area or any area in the north of Newcastle. What are the quarters/hirings like? What sort of entitlement do you get? We have 3 kids 14(m) 12(f) 8(m). Thanks again, Sarah

Hi Martin,

Was so excited to hear where you are and how close it is! It makes it seem so real to know that someone is actually right at the end of this wait. We are back in the "waiting for the written offer stage" and I can't imagine what it must feel like to be where you are now. Are your children of school age and if so how much info did you get form the redlo to sort out schools etc? Also which airline has the contract for your flights and where are you stopping off? We hope to be going to Melbourne next October. My OH out of Military here on 22nd and has been told he can sign 23rd, was it that close in dates for you? Thanks again for any info. Have a great trip and enjoy the start of this adventure!

Blessings, Thistles and Gum Trees...........

The ADF use Malaysia Airlines to travel to Oz. You travel business class and you get a 2 night stayover in Kuala Lumpur if you want it. Once your OH signs on, he has 7 days to start work in Oz.

As far as schools are concerned, REDLO have been helpful and I have been in contact with the local school to give them a heads up about when we are hoping to come over. They emailed back their prospectus which was helpful. Perhaps you could contact your nearest school to where you will be based?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there and a Happy New Year to all.

Sorry but this is going to be a long winded one.....

Just wanted to know if there was any of you out there who had the interview in October but are not going until the next financial year?

We had our interview in London on 23rd October and were told there and then that we were accepted, but as we cannot go until this coming financial year (July 2007-June 2008) we had to wait until the targets were revealed (within the next few weeks I guess).

Are there any of you out here in a similar position. We are waiting with baited breath (just incase it all goes wrong) and hubby is out in only 9 months.....

For those of you who have been through it, a question please.......

We are overseas and staying here until a couple of weeks before due to leave the UK.

What do we do about our removals.

How long in advance do they send your things etc?

We have a container in storage and have to send our things back from here also.

DHE say they cannot give us a quarter as due to work committments, we can only get back to UK at best early Septbember and they will not issue one if you are out of the Military within 6 months.

Our plan at the mo is to stay here until last minute - schools, quarter etc but perhaps send our stuff back in time to meet our storage stuff a few months earlier (in time to get it all off to Oz).

Can anyone give me advice on

A] how long does it take to ship

b] does an assesor come

c] how long to pack and send etc

d] do you think its possible to have an assesor come on the same day as packers etc and have two shipments delivered, combined and sent to Oz without too much hassle!!!!! I know v unlikely - just don't know how best to do this............

Thank you for any tips or information at all. Very very sincerely appreciated.

Guest spray21

Thistles & Gumtrees

Re the removals - shipping takes approx 64 days, although if there were problems with AQIS/Customs then it could potentially take longer.

You can influence when it is shipped - we are having ours shipped well ahead of our flights (then staying with friends) so it will arrive only a week or two after we do. I know other people choose to keep it all as late as possible and then they don't get it for a couple of months after arriving.

An assessor does come to do a 'pre-pack survey', they were lovely. We are having the house packed up next week, they're expecting it to take 2-3 days. That is for a three bed victorian terraced house, in the UK.

We are selling the house before we go, and they have been great and said they will come and pack it all up properly then store it for us before shipping. We pay for the storage, but it should all go smoothly as opposed to us packing it and transporting it and storing it and then them picking it up and repackaging it and shipping it! Which I was not looking forward to!

So basically everyone has been really helpful and we haven't had any problems with them at all so far. (But ask me again in three months when we're there!!)

Hi all,

A bit of advice; if you can release your consignment early in the UK in order to recieve soonest this end then do so. We have been in temp accom for four weeks with two young ones and its not good! OAC will org temp furniture if necesary but nothing like your old slippers is there !! Our container arrived Sydney 23 Dec and looks like it will be released in another 7-10 days.

Guest spray21

Another point re shipping furniture is that with the ADF you get four weeks free storage once your stuff clears AQIS/customs in Sydney.

We're having our house packed up in 2 days and stored for a couple of weeks then shipped in Feb- we don't actually fly out ourselves until mid-April, so with a bit of luck our things will be available quite quickly, and if we go beyond our free four weeks storage in Australia then we'll pay at that end rather than paying in the UK then waiting for our things at the other end.

(Bit longwinded that, hope it makes sense!? The gist is that it's best to ship earlier rather than later!)

further to my last:

Take your temp discharge proforma to the AHC when signing.

Bring a copy of your UNICOM record to Aus.

A copy of marriage cert (If appl) with you; also req in work.

Try and include your PC/printer in Air freight, we req regularly.

Don't expect PMKeys No 'til you get to work.

Bring medal ribbon with you- they are mounted in diff order.

Martin

Guest MR HOPEFULL

A very useful forum and some exceptional threads that greatly assist. Sometimes though advice given raises more questions !! Being at the stage of having lodged Visa Application (not sure how long that will take ?) I was advised to contact Australian High Comm in London to get ball rolling ref furniture/travel which I understand takes some time to arrange. The question I ask is will appointed removals company (I believe it's allied pickfords) accept your consignment prior to discharge from British Armed Forces to enable consignment to be in Aus in good time ? If they won't, I assume it could be up to 2 months before you receive it at the other end !! Additionally where do you get the discharge notification proforma (mentioned previously) from ? Currently serving in SE Asia is not helping me especially considering 90% of my furniture is currently in storage in UK and I only wish to transit through UK to "sign up" and say goodbyes - do you think Pickfords will be able to pick up directly from storage ? Not many fingernails left now !! is there light at the end of the tunnel ?

Hi Mr Hopeful,

We are in the same position in that we are out in Cyprus and have 60% of our life in storage in Scotland..... If you find out anything re moving it from storage, can you let us know? So far we know that we cannot get a quarter for a short time in the UK (we expect to leave here 13th October and fly to Oz 23rd) and as we don't own our own house, we have nowhere for our stuff to be dropped and sorted out before then being re-shipped.

Hope all goes well, drop us a line if you want to compare notes.

Archived