will i have to pay foreigner Uni fees in the UK???

andrewd

We are moving back to the UK after 10 years in Oz. my son is 20 and in his second year of Uni. We have spoken to a couple of UK universities who are happy to take him and give him an exemption from first year. He wants to make the move and it would be the best for all if he can, BUT we have been told that he may be liable to pay foreign student fees even though he is British and lived there til he was 9.

Does anyone know if this is true or what we can do? There is no way we could afford to pay these fees so are feeling pretty desperate.

Thanks.

We are moving back to the UK after 10 years in Oz. my son is 20 and in his second year of Uni. We have spoken to a couple of UK universities who are happy to take him and give him an exemption from first year. He wants to make the move and it would be the best for all if he can, BUT we have been told that he may be liable to pay foreign student fees even though he is British and lived there til he was 9.

Does anyone know if this is true or what we can do? There is no way we could afford to pay these fees so are feeling pretty desperate.

Thanks.

There would be international fees in the UK, being British is nothing to do with it, it is about residency not citizenship. Probably the best thing is for him to continue to study in Australia, particularly as he is half way through the course anyway?

yeah, I heard that, but also heard that people have got round this by the young person saying that it was not their choice to leave the UK in the first place. I know this sounds a bit odd but have heard this from several sources.

yeah, I heard that, but also heard that people have got round this by the young person saying that it was not their choice to leave the UK in the first place. I know this sounds a bit odd but have heard this from several sources.

Perhaps, in very few circumstances, had you only been away from the UK on a temporary basis. That you have been 10 years in Aus, I wouldn't get your hopes up about avoiding international fees.

yes, I hear you but the definition of residency is very vague and apparently differs radically if the young person establishes that they are making the move to the UK of their own volition and that they are to some extent making this choice unilaterally. Also it seems that it is the individual university that makes the call on this rather than a government agency.

yes, I hear you but the definition of residency is very vague and apparently differs radically if the young person establishes that they are making the move to the UK of their own volition and that they are to some extent making this choice unilaterally. Also it seems that it is the individual university that makes the call on this rather than a government agency.

Well, I guess your best bet then is to give it a go. He may possibly be classed as a domestic student (if what you say is true) and you go down that route. The big question is, would he be eligible to get a government loan to cover tuition fees? Fees are still expensive either way.

One option is for him to remain in Australia and finish his degree here.

It's UK govt legislation which sets the difference between "home" fees and "International" fees. If a University is offering some other discretionary parameter to circumvent certain admission fee criteria, then you probably need to start exploring your options directly with the Uni's. Good luck.

Yes, unfortunately you have to be resident in UK or Europe for 3 yrs prior so considered international up to that time. Each individual university will assess his fee status once they've given him a place. They may consider him for home fees if he or you have had regular (as in yearly) trips back to England and close ties there eg house etc. Having the same problem as I'm moving back with my daughter once she's finishes yr 12 this year.

i can understand there should be some conditions but 3 yrs seems a long time for person who was born in UK, lived in UK and parents worked in NHS & paid taxes for 20 yrs before leaving country. Seems a bit unfair - would have thought 1 to 2 yrs residency would be bit fairer for born and bred UK citizens but there you go ..... Such is life!

We're still going and will try our hardest (forced to stay in Oz for many years as couldn't take her away from her dad who lives here) to plead our case but if no luck she'll either wait out the 3 yrs or return to Oz to study.

There seems to be a rush of this particular question recently.

Assessing Home or International status was my job for a number of years. The legislation gives three conditions; domiciled in the UK, ordinarily resident in the UK and ordinarily resident for the previous three years for reasons other than higher education. We do have the right to decide ourselves bearing in mind those criteria, for example, I would assess a Navy child as Home status if they have lived in camps overseas as they, and their parents don't have a choice. Likewise if your job moved and you were forced to go with it then you'd get a sympathetic hearing.

If it's a case that you simply wanted to live overseas, and have done so for many years then no, International it would be.

When it comes to assessing you years of residency, we took September 1st as being 1 year, so if you moved to the UK on August 28th, then come September, we regarded that as being one full year for assessment purposes, so in reality it can only be two and a bit years before you meet the Home status.

The Student Loans mob don't have any flexibility though, so you may well get Home assessment from the uni, but no eligibility from the SLC.

There seems to be a rush of this particular question recently.

Assessing Home or International status was my job for a number of years. The legislation gives three conditions; domiciled in the UK, ordinarily resident in the UK and ordinarily resident for the previous three years for reasons other than higher education. We do have the right to decide ourselves bearing in mind those criteria, for example, I would assess a Navy child as Home status if they have lived in camps overseas as they, and their parents don't have a choice. Likewise if your job moved and you were forced to go with it then you'd get a sympathetic hearing.

If it's a case that you simply wanted to live overseas, and have done so for many years then no, International it would be.

When it comes to assessing you years of residency, we took September 1st as being 1 year, so if you moved to the UK on August 28th, then come September, we regarded that as being one full year for assessment purposes, so in reality it can only be two and a bit years before you meet the Home status.

The Student Loans mob don't have any flexibility though, so you may well get Home assessment from the uni, but no eligibility from the SLC.

That all sounds pretty fair to me. We've only been out of the Country 5 years but I wouldn't expect my 21 year old Daughter to just stroll back in and get A uni position over and above someone who's parents have been paying taxes in that Country.

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

Why is it so wrong to want to live overseas? If an Australian family wanted to relocate back to Australia and send their child to university, then I don't believe there are any residency requirements and I certainly wouldn't think they're cheeky for doing that either. Yes, if they're getting free fees but that's not the case, they have to pay the same as other Australian citizens.

i suppose at the end of the day it's to stop people from sending their kids to uni in England and then them leaving the country again and not repaying their loans which is fair enough but 3 yrs I think is still a long time to wait it out for the genuine ones who intend to live in UK permanently.

Also, it's not as if you get cheap fees at home status as they're hardly cheap.

But rules are rules.

To provide a real world example:

A co-worker of mine's son recently returned to UK alone for university. They have lived outside of UK for about six years. As you mentioned earlier, some unis expected international fees, others didn't. In the end I believe they paid domestic fees and got onto a course of choice at a top uni. From what he was saying, it was a mix of his peers in a similar situation of who got hit with what fees.

I imagine that the financial difference is going to be quite huge, so unless money is no object I would probably tailor the university and course based on the fees payable. Namely, the same course at a better uni may not be worth three (?) times the cost.

Good luck.

If he's returning with the family rather than on his own they may suggest that it's not a unilateral decision but one made out of necessity and dependence (financial) upon his parents.

Thank goodness for PIO. I am returning to the UK at the end of the year with a 17 year old. I had just assumed as a British citizen he would get domestic fees. Just when I thought I'd got everything covered something else pops up. He is probably headed to a technical / trade college rather than uni but I assume the same deal will apply.