Slowly getting there

Guest51810

I've got my intro week thingy on the 8th and then im booked in for another week after that week, going to try and find work in sydney if I can. Would love to meet up at some point though, we could meet somewhere? I really don't have a proper plan at the moment, I was trying to plan everything around the weather but I've stopped doing that lol.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if I find work I'll be staying for xmas and new year so we can definitely meet up then! Don't have any plans for new year yet! I don't think many people stick to their plans lol I wasn't even going to book another week in the hostel at first but my first weeks going to be too busy too properly look for work or a flat etc

Probably more likely to be snakes lol. I'll see how the first few months go and then if I love it then I'll try do the farm work. Haha they'll probably have turned your room into a gym then!!

Haha i went home for two weeks in november and it was the storage room. I didnt tell them i was coming home so they sent me away to my friends while they sorted it out lol

I watched a video of one of the guys I went to school with, he just came back from perth and turned up at his grans lol her reaction was funny. My gran would probably just say "oh what are you doing here" :laugh: my mum said if I come back any sooner than a year then she's going to call me a light weight! Tbh if you are a experienced traveller I probably wouldn't bother with one too much. They are over priced but I guess they have to make a profit! I got chatting to a group of girls and they were going and I ended up joining. If it wasn't for them i would just be doing it alone, sometimes wish I was. I can send you the name of the company if you want to have a look? It does include some useful things like my RSA, a bar skills course and some other stuff but you could do that stuff on your own

Applied for my visa again. I think i'm going to open up a bank account today, whats the one most people use? Then i'll price travel insurance. I think flights is going to be the very last thing I sort because I still cant decide wether to get a return or a single! :frown:

This is GREAT to hear. So many people only look at the negatives nowadays. So excited to get there!! :)

Actually, you are wrong about the number of people who go on about the negatives, although on PIO they do make a racket out of all proportion to their actual numbers!

[h=1]Working visas granted to increasing number of backpackers[/h]

• 2 years ago August 27, 2013 8:00PM

207294-8adf3664-0ee4-11e3-bfe4-e8fe552df053.jpg

Italian backpackers Sara Marabith, 24; Alice Menin, 25; and Syliva Rigo, 20, at Maroochydore Backpackers Hostel. Picture: Glenn Barnes Source: News Limited

WORK-hungry backpackers are flocking Down Under to work in record numbers, and competing for jobs with local school-leavers.

New immigration data reveals a one-third surge in the number of foreigners granted "working holiday'' visas since the start of the global financial crisis.

The Immigration Department issued a record 249,231 backpacker visas during 2012/13, latest official data shows.

Three times as many young backpackers from China, Italy and Taiwan were granted visas during 2012/13 than at the start of the global financial crisis in 2008/09.

Backpacker numbers have jumped 52 per cent from France, 29 per cent from Germany and 15 per cent from the UK.

The visas are popular with employers in regional areas, who rely on foreign backpackers to pick fruit, work on farms, clean hotels, pour beers and wait tables.

But a university study claims the working holiday-makers, aged 18 to 30, are taking entry-level jobs that could go to Australian school leavers.

207232-c3be616a-0ee6-11e3-bfe4-e8fe552df053.jpg

Julien Piovesan is a waiter at Moorish in Darwin's CBD. Backpackers are arriving ready to work. Source: News Limited

The Centre for Population and Urban Research at Monash University has found that Australia now has one foreign backpacker for every Year 12 school leaver, all competing for entry-level jobs in retailing, construction and hospitality.

"(Backpackers) coming from these countries are not the traditional holiday and work seekers, but rather job-hungry migrants anxious to maximise their income from work here,'' the report says.

"In effect, the Australian economy is acting as a safety valve for the youth unemployment problems of other countries, at the expense of its own young people's employment prospects.''

Australia now hosts nearly half a million working-age migrants who have arrived since 2011 on permanent or temporary visas.

"Recently arrived migrants …. are dominating the growth in the number of employed persons in Australia,'' the report says.

207408-7dfbf27a-0ee4-11e3-bfe4-e8fe552df053.jpg

Joe Hoffmeister and Maarten Lieftinck enjoy the sun on Bondi Beach. They are backpacking around Australia. Source: News Limited

"Young people have to compete for less skilled entry-level work with an increasing number of job-hungry temporary migrants looking for the same work.''

The report says the number of recently-arrived migrants of working age jumped by 168,700 during the 12 months to May this year - and 108,200 were working.

New migrants accounted for 85 per cent of the 126,900 total increase in the number of workers in Australia during the year.

"This means that almost all of the recent net growth in employment is attributable to recently-arrived migrants,'' the report says.

The report says 14.5 per cent of 15-to-19-year-old jobseekers, and 9.4 per cent of those aged 20-24 were unemployed in May, compared to 5.6 per cent in the general population.

Backpackers from 29 nations can work in Australia for up to a year, so long as they do not spend more than six months with each employer.

Those who spend at least three months working in a remote area can apply to stay for a second year.

506052-7669baba-0ee4-11e3-bfe4-e8fe552df053.jpg

Backpackers Maria Jesus Prat and Pilar Lira enjoy the sun on Bondi Beach. Source: News Limited

Australian backpackers can also work overseas in the same countries, under reciprocal agreements.

Argentina and Uruguay were added to the working holiday program this year, and the federal government is negotiating with 13 more countries including Greece, Spain, Mexico, the Czech Republic, Portugal, Israel and Vietnam

Actually, you are wrong about the number of people who go on about the negatives, although on PIO they do make a racket out of all proportion to their actual numbers!

[h=1]Working visas granted to increasing number of backpackers[/h]

• 2 years ago August 27, 2013 8:00PM

207294-8adf3664-0ee4-11e3-bfe4-e8fe552df053.jpg

Italian backpackers Sara Marabith, 24; Alice Menin, 25; and Syliva Rigo, 20, at Maroochydore Backpackers Hostel. Picture: Glenn Barnes Source: News Limited

WORK-hungry backpackers are flocking Down Under to work in record numbers, and competing for jobs with local school-leavers.

New immigration data reveals a one-third surge in the number of foreigners granted "working holiday'' visas since the start of the global financial crisis.

The Immigration Department issued a record 249,231 backpacker visas during 2012/13, latest official data shows.

Three times as many young backpackers from China, Italy and Taiwan were granted visas during 2012/13 than at the start of the global financial crisis in 2008/09.

Backpacker numbers have jumped 52 per cent from France, 29 per cent from Germany and 15 per cent from the UK.

The visas are popular with employers in regional areas, who rely on foreign backpackers to pick fruit, work on farms, clean hotels, pour beers and wait tables.

But a university study claims the working holiday-makers, aged 18 to 30, are taking entry-level jobs that could go to Australian school leavers.

207232-c3be616a-0ee6-11e3-bfe4-e8fe552df053.jpg

Julien Piovesan is a waiter at Moorish in Darwin's CBD. Backpackers are arriving ready to work. Source: News Limited

The Centre for Population and Urban Research at Monash University has found that Australia now has one foreign backpacker for every Year 12 school leaver, all competing for entry-level jobs in retailing, construction and hospitality.

"(Backpackers) coming from these countries are not the traditional holiday and work seekers, but rather job-hungry migrants anxious to maximise their income from work here,'' the report says.

"In effect, the Australian economy is acting as a safety valve for the youth unemployment problems of other countries, at the expense of its own young people's employment prospects.''

Australia now hosts nearly half a million working-age migrants who have arrived since 2011 on permanent or temporary visas.

"Recently arrived migrants …. are dominating the growth in the number of employed persons in Australia,'' the report says.

207408-7dfbf27a-0ee4-11e3-bfe4-e8fe552df053.jpg

Joe Hoffmeister and Maarten Lieftinck enjoy the sun on Bondi Beach. They are backpacking around Australia. Source: News Limited

"Young people have to compete for less skilled entry-level work with an increasing number of job-hungry temporary migrants looking for the same work.''

The report says the number of recently-arrived migrants of working age jumped by 168,700 during the 12 months to May this year - and 108,200 were working.

New migrants accounted for 85 per cent of the 126,900 total increase in the number of workers in Australia during the year.

"This means that almost all of the recent net growth in employment is attributable to recently-arrived migrants,'' the report says.

The report says 14.5 per cent of 15-to-19-year-old jobseekers, and 9.4 per cent of those aged 20-24 were unemployed in May, compared to 5.6 per cent in the general population.

Backpackers from 29 nations can work in Australia for up to a year, so long as they do not spend more than six months with each employer.

Those who spend at least three months working in a remote area can apply to stay for a second year.

506052-7669baba-0ee4-11e3-bfe4-e8fe552df053.jpg

Backpackers Maria Jesus Prat and Pilar Lira enjoy the sun on Bondi Beach. Source: News Limited

Australian backpackers can also work overseas in the same countries, under reciprocal agreements.

Argentina and Uruguay were added to the working holiday program this year, and the federal government is negotiating with 13 more countries including Greece, Spain, Mexico, the Czech Republic, Portugal, Israel and Vietnam

I meant no offence. Maybe just a lot of the people I've spoken to are being negative then. Must be looking on the wrong sites lol

Edited by misskayleigh

Well I wish they would hurry up! They approved it within 2 hours at a weekend last time! I'm hoping theres no problems with it, I cant afford a new one again.

I've even found the flight I'm booking but theres only 4 seats so I want to book tomorrow. hurry immi! :cry:

Applied for my visa again. I think i'm going to open up a bank account today, whats the one most people use? Then i'll price travel insurance. I think flights is going to be the very last thing I sort because I still cant decide wether to get a return or a single! :frown:

Do some research on the banks, eg by Googling 'Best bank for travelers' or 'best bank for free ATM withdrawals.' Most of the big banks offer the same service, but some are 'kinder' than others. Look for conditions like requiring you to make a certain level of deposit each month to qualify for 'free of charge.' Many banks still charge you for using another bank's ATM.

Do you think 700 -750 would be enough to set aside to get home? some of the flights are cheap like $800 but some are a lot more expensive!

When I got a single back from Auckland it was about £750.

how much are open returns? Does it work out cheaper to get an open return and pay the admin fee to change date if needed?