Mental health jobs/ WHV

Daz178

Hi,

Not quite sure if this is the right section, but cause my query is related to WHV I chose to stick it in here.

I'm due to fly out to Australia on the 10th August. So far i've kinda expected work wise to just look everywhere and take what you can get. Since finishing Uni I currently work in a mental health unit within the NHS on an as and when contract (known as "bank") which is 0 hour, but due to demand for staffing I can pretty much chose when I want to work. As far as Nursing Assistants go I'm extremely experienced as I've been highly trained in various aspects of my job, and have a wide range of certification/references as proof which is regarded highly in this country atleast.

I was wondering does anyone know of anything similar in Australia? i.e. a system which facilitates flexible "part time" workers within the mental health sector. From some research I have done I gather you could possibly get on an agency?

I know it's unlikely, and my main purpose for the WH is not for CV building so worst case scenario I'll do anything.

Thankyou in advance for any help answering my query

Sorry, have you any idea of the purpose of the medical? What exactly would it entail? It seems very strange that you would have to go through such procedures, especially when looking for a non-qualified mental health nursing assistant job

In the visa application I stated that I intended to work preferably within mental health (such as a secure unit) and intend to do farm work. From the criteria mentioned in the screenshot I get the impression that the medical would be something they would contact you and pre-arrange for when you arrive in Australia. I haven't heard anything so I doubt this would be applicable to me. Also, the "Depending on which country you are from" indicates to me that you're more likely to undergo the medical if you come from a country where a range of diseases are more common. Coming from the UK I think I should be fine.

Thanks for your input anyway Stacey

You would b unlikely to get work in a hospital as they do things differently here but maybe as a support worker in community or residential setting in a not for profit organisation as casual staff. ..my husband was a mh nursing assistant in uk n got casual job in a youth residential home straight away in sydney, picked his own hours...type in mental health into keyword search on seek...I see the kind of jobs u r looking for come up when I'm looking for mh nursing jobs..or try ethical jobs.com.au. good luck

No problem. If you've told them and they don't get in touch saying you need one then it'll be fine. I don't think they are very relaxed about rules so you would probably have heard something by now. I was just going by what I've read and also I've chatted to a few people who were planning on going as HCA's or nurses etc. I work as a disability support worker so I wasn't sure if I would need one too but I probably won't work as that anyway. There doesn't seem to be any jobs in that that don't require either a NVQ/australian qualification or a driving licence.

You're confusing things.

For your Working Holiday Visa you "may" need a medical... You don't if you're from the UK.

What is being said is that you may have to undertake a medical to work in healthcare. Which would happen in Australia when you go for the job.

I don't know if you actually have to do a medical. But let's keep things simple here. No medical needed for the 417 WHV Visa