NHS when returning for a holiday or going back

fifi69

I've not worked in a GPs surgery.

but I was front line staff in an NHS hospital for 11 years, for those first nine years, it was just a case of treat anybody that turned up.

then came the staff meetings about trying to. "Slyly" find out if patients were entitled to care and not just hospital tourists.

It was though, more about any white British expats that may be trying to roart the system, werent allowed to pick out the "non british" and try to find out more about there background.

One afternoon a week, was in fact just dedicated to and only open to Syrians in our clinic:wacko:

TBF, while working there, I would have had no knowledge of who was entitled to treatment and who wasnt.

Most staff all feel the whole thing is a joke...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a British Citizen. Can I just go to a GP in the UK and show my British Passport and get treated?

Not sure. I know when we moved UK addresses it wasnt straightforward even just changing GPs. They can and will refuse to take you on, if you have too many ongoing health problems.

Its all about the budgets....not about the care:confused:

Like I said, Get a life. My post is not about attacking or defending the NHS, It's about something that went amiss that should not have. Any Aussie, leastwise someone with dual nationality is entitled to see a GP of their choice in the UK, My son chose to take his Brit born brother to his GP who he had been with for 18 yrs and was turned away by a jobsworth receptionist,,,,,,,,,,,end of! Argue all you want, defend all you want, it was out of order and any brit experiencing the same in Oz would likely soon kick up a stink. Its about legal entitlement not agendas such as yours. FWIW I had a similar complaint a while back and my GP had me in hospital within 2 hrs and on an antibiotic drip immediately (which is documented in this forum somewhere) Supposing my son's infection was as far advanced as mine was, what would being directed elswhere have benefited his need for immediate treatment?

I'm know that I have had problems seeing a GP after being out of the country AUS and Spain (both with recip agreements) period of time I have been turned away because i needed to be registered. I also ended up in a walk in centre. A GP doesn't have to see you if you are not registered whether you are aussie or not, you can (if the GP has space) register http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1095.aspx?CategoryID=68&SubCategoryID=158 .

Glad it was sorted by one of our walk in centres though.

[h=2]Temporary registration[/h] If you want to see a GP and are visiting an area for more than 24 hours but less than three months, you can apply to register with a GP surgery as a temporary resident. The application can be made using form GMS3 (PDF, 80kb).

Info on our walk in centres run by our wonderful nurses.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/Emergencyandurgentcareservices/pages/Walk-incentresSummary.aspx

When my lads were very small they sometimes had an ear infection or some other childhood ailments when we visited my Mum in Scotland. I always took them to the local GP and never had any problems - no questions were asked and we received free prescriptions. Maybe it's changed since then. I also had to have a wisdom tooth extracted on a visit. I went to the local dentist and he yanked it out (what an absolute relief) and didn't have to pay a penny - probably that's change too.

I am a British Citizen. Can I just go to a GP in the UK and show my British Passport and get treated?

NO. When Linda had to visit a hospital (being honest) we said where we now live but could show them our UK passport could give them a UK address, nope had to prove we were Australian residents even the Aus passport was not proof enough, had to send them some rate notices etc from Aus once we got back or they would bill us.:confused:But I suppose that was only admin there was never no doubt on receiving medical attention, though the Dr did have trouble finding Linda as he said he was looking for a 60 yr old not a 40 something (smarmy git).

Seeing the normal GP was just a question of filling a form in at the Dr's.

NO

Is that right??

Thats a poor choice, considering I could have turned up at any Aus GPs and been seen, from the moment of landing here.

Yet the UK will pay out thousands on translators to see Eastern European gypsies in doctors clinics??

Its a ass, when will people wake up to this

NO. When Linda had to visit a hospital (being honest) we said where we now live but could show them our UK passport could give them a UK address, nope had to prove we were Australian residents even the Aus passport was not proof enough, had to send them some rate notices etc from Aus once we got back or they would bill us.:confused:But I suppose that was only admin there was never no doubt on receiving medical attention, though the Dr did have trouble finding Linda as he said he was looking for a 60 yr old not a 40 something (smarmy git).

Seeing the normal GP was just a question of filling a form in at the Dr's.

Its so simple. GPs are for local communities, you need to be regestered. Our hospitals will never turn away an emergency. Why do people turn up from different countries and expect free health care??!!! then slag off the system when they are refused???

If you don't like it the answer is get health insurance...

Its so simple. GPs are for local communities, you need to be regestered. Our hospitals will never turn away an emergency. Why do people turn up from different countries and expect free health care??!!! then slag off the system when they are refused???

If you don't like it the answer is get health insurance...

I'm not slagging it! just explaining the process, for other folks info, what we had/have to do for the reciprocal agreements. The whacko was a jobsworth not really believing we were UK or Aus residents, maybe I do need to get an African Countries passport and make the whole thing easier!!

I'm not slagging it! just explaining the process, for other folks info, what we had/have to do for the reciprocal agreements. The whacko was a jobsworth not really believing we were UK or Aus residents, maybe I do need to get an African Countries passport and make the whole thing easier!!

It doesn't matter what passport you have...

OMG!!!

Thanks @simmo.....

No one is trying to cause an argument.....defend or attack anything......what is really sad here is that it is becoming impossible on this forum to question anything someone else says without being persecuted, accused of being a hater or trouble maker, being told to "get a life" (twice) or being called an idiot......well maybe thats what the problem was in the first place.....with such a bitter approach and attitude is it any wonder the receptionist behaved as she did......?

My understanding is GP's surgeries are very busy places.....booked up most of the time.....bl##dy hell most of you slate the place because apparently we have to wait 3 weeks to see a GP.....well if thats the case why should a receptionist let someone that does not even live in this country jump the queue and see a GP ahead of residents for a minor ailment when there are Walk-in-centers and A&E centers available......that was all I was trying to say.....it seemed the OP took some pleasure out of complaining because he posted a smiley face after he said it.....I do not like "complaining" hence I questioned why go to all the trouble of doing so?

Edited by kungfustu

My understanding is GP's surgeries are very busy places.....booked up most of the time..........well if thats the case why should a receptionist let someone that does not even live in this country jump the queue and see a GP ahead of residents for a minor ailment

That's a fair comment, but the point is that's not what the OP was saying. The receptionist did not refuse treatment - what she did was say he'd have to pay for it. Which is incorrect, so she didn't know her job. So you're telling him off for complaining about something unreasonable, when in fact that wasn't what he was complaining about!

Thanks @simmo.....

No one is trying to cause an argument.....defend or attack anything......what is really sad here is that it is becoming impossible on this forum to question anything someone else says without being persecuted, accused of being a hater or trouble maker, being told to "get a life" (twice) or being called an idiot......well maybe thats what the problem was in the first place.....with such a bitter approach and attitude is it any wonder the receptionist behaved as she did......?

My understanding is GP's surgeries are very busy places.....booked up most of the time.....bl##dy hell most of you slate the place because apparently we have to wait 3 weeks to see a GP.....well if thats the case why should a receptionist let someone that does not even live in this country jump the queue and see a GP ahead of residents for a minor ailment when there are Walk-in-centers and A&E centers available......that was all I was trying to say.....it seemed the OP took some pleasure out of complaining because he posted a smiley face after he said it.....I do not like "complaining" hence I questioned why go to all the trouble of doing so?

Clearly, you seem to complain, despite your protestations that you do not, as you are unjustifiably complaining about my son's justified complaint.

How do you define "persecution" ? It is you that jumped on my posting, not vice versa and although it could have been construed as genuine, had it been anyone else, I think that your history on this forum shows that you just can't wait to put the boot into some posts/posters. The latter statement can also be defined by the fact that you don't even appear to have read the OP properly as I wasn't even present, but never mind, it gave you the opportunity to attempt to paint me in a poor light, also supported by the fact that you mention "jump the queue" which was not that which was required under the reciprocal agreement. All that was asked of the surgery was an appointment for the brother of the person who had been on that surgeries books for 18yrs. As for "minor ailment" Kidney infections are life threatening as witnessed by me being rushed to hospital last year and placed on intravenous antibiotics. The "pleasure" that you speak of was a "wry grin" by myself that my son is a "chip off the old block" by standing up for his, and other people's rights, and I'm sure that anyone without an agenda would have recognised that.

Bloody hell man...life is short ...the quality time with your children is even shorter .....**** the price of tea and bacon ...just get on with it .....anything can happen .....this could be your last trip with your kids.....i hope not ...but who knows

Iam off for a tour of Italy with my wife and youngest daughter in 3 weeks ...its precious time ....the Best time ...the memories.....i won't be comparing costs

Yet again someone who can't wait to jump in and I don't need inferences about how I spend my time, or not, with my kids. If you kept up with things on the forum, you would appreciate that I am debating whether to return to the UK or not, and as i see so much false info on here, and the fact that my pension will be halved if i do return, then costs are an important factor in this holiday...........it's intended as more of a recce where FACTS can be gleaned, not half truths or mis-truths often posted by the usual suspects

Clearly, you seem to complain, despite your protestations that you do not, as you are unjustifiably complaining about my son's justified complaint.

How do you define "persecution" ? It is you that jumped on my posting, not vice versa and although it could have been construed as genuine, had it been anyone else, I think that your history on this forum shows that you just can't wait to put the boot into some posts/posters. The latter statement can also be defined by the fact that you don't even appear to have read the OP properly as I wasn't even present, but never mind, it gave you the opportunity to attempt to paint me in a poor light, also supported by the fact that you mention "jump the queue" which was not that which was required under the reciprocal agreement. All that was asked of the surgery was an appointment for the brother of the person who had been on that surgeries books for 18yrs. As for "minor ailment" Kidney infections are life threatening as witnessed by me being rushed to hospital last year and placed on intravenous antibiotics. The "pleasure" that you speak of was a "wry grin" by myself that my son is a "chip off the old block" by standing up for his, and other people's rights, and I'm sure that anyone without an agenda would have recognised that.

No one jumped on anyones posting.....this is a public forum where views and opinions are expressed......?

Why complain? that was my original question.....you enter a GP's surgery where the person requesting assistance is not registered and does not live in this country. Those are the facts, now I am guessing that they were probably full and had no appointments but I think I am prob correct in saying that.....so what happened next?......all you said was an argument followed about being told you would have to pay at the walk-in-clinic.....obviously you new that was not the case so why not just go to the walk-in-clinic if the GP's cant see you....same service.....same result.....my guess is you didn't like the fact you was told by the receptionist that you/your son could not be seen and started demanding to see someone due to this "reciprocal" agreement......the latter is speculation as you have not said what happened.....I responded to what you did say.....and still say....why complain about being given a small bit of incorrect info when it had little or no effect on the outcome anyway......

If your boy was seriously ill you would call an ambulance.....so lets not get hung up on what could happen with a Kidney infection.....

Iam full of facts ,no bullshit or half truths here ,i live the life 24/7 ,good and bad .

It rains,there are 24 million vehicles on British roads...i have to drive in it everyday.

I did used to walk straight into my doctors at 8am ...in at 8.15am....but then previous governments allowed in millions of immigrants.....3 million in 12 years,under labour.

Now resources are obviously stretched.....that's why people cant get an appointment.

That definitely depends on where you are, we have no issues getting doctors appointment at all. It would be different in the centre of a city of course.

That definitely depends on where you are, we have no issues getting doctors appointment at all. It would be different in the centre of a city of course.

I have no trouble getting an appointment ....j was saying I used to be able to turn up @ 8am and get seen straight away .....now due to population growth ,they have stopped it .....

Now you have to book .

No one jumped on anyones posting.....this is a public forum where views and opinions are expressed......?

Why complain? that was my original question.....you enter a GP's surgery where the person requesting assistance is not registered and does not live in this country. Those are the facts, now I am guessing that they were probably full and had no appointments but I think I am prob correct in saying that.....so what happened next?......all you said was an argument followed about being told you would have to pay at the walk-in-clinic.....obviously you new that was not the case so why not just go to the walk-in-clinic if the GP's cant see you....same service.....same result.....my guess is you didn't like the fact you was told by the receptionist that you/your son could not be seen and started demanding to see someone due to this "reciprocal" agreement......the latter is speculation as you have not said what happened.....I responded to what you did say.....and still say....why complain about being given a small bit of incorrect info when it had little or no effect on the outcome anyway......

If your boy was seriously ill you would call an ambulance.....so lets not get hung up on what could happen with a Kidney infection.....

OK, you win, I can't be arsed arguing with those who clearly have an agenda when it comes to what they perceive as criticism of the UK. The very same usual suspects who can't wait to knock Oz or Australians. I'm done with this as you clearly refuse to see that without a complaint, the receptionist would continue in the same vein with others