Buy to let UK mortgage - need new deal

Hi

My mortgage deal in the UK ran out 3 months ago. Back up to SVR. We are renting it out and thought it would be straightforward to move to a buy to let. But our IFA in UK is having trouble sorting it out. One issue seems to be that we'll be away more than a year.

We we seem pigeon holes as an expat investor rather than someone who lived in the property and is letting it out while working on a 457. We may switch to PR at some point but haven't got immediate plans to do that.

With current exchange rate, I'm having to send $400 a month to cover the gap between rent and mortgage.

Please can you help.

Annmarie

• 1 month later...

Sorry Andrew, I've just found this thread and I'm glad I'm not the only one! I'm having a nightmare trying to find anyone who will look at re-mortgaging because we have an Australian address! I wish I'd known this before we came out but we only thought we'd stay for 2 years.....

Please could you pass on the brokers details?

We were in this situation a couple of years ago, and managed to remortgage with Lloyds just before they withdrew the product from non-UK residents. It's a tricky situation and I do feel it is harsh on those who never intended to be 'investors', and just want to let their home out while they try living abroad. Good luck to all!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

We received advice from an IFA in UK before leaving......keep your existing deal and simply don't tell them your gone. We were found out after 18 months and due to being a good customer, presenting a very low risk and only requiring < 40% ltv. Our punishment was 1% rate increase. The IFA could find a single deal due to foreign investor rules.

S

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

We have seen a house we want to purchase on a buy to let basis until we return. Barclays International have said they will do the mortgage for us but we need to have £25k held in their bank account indefinitely! I'd really appreciate any help or advice or broker details!

Thanks

Edited by Vanessa Clarkson

• 3 months later...

We had this situation just recently- it's been a nightmare and if we'd known how hard it would be to get a mortgage/remortgage when earning in AUD we would have sorted a much longer fixed rate deal whilst in the UK. For some reason, there are VERY few lenders willing to lend to expats living in australia due to some strict financial conduct rules imposed by the aus govt on banks etc. We spoke to 5 brokers- there were only two lenders willing to give us a mortgage, at much higher interest rates and with extortionate fees. The only option is a buy to let offshore expat mortgage if you've already left the UK.