How much did it cost you to migrate to Australia.

amibovered

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About £15k for visa process, flights, shipping, pet shipping. About another £10k for arrival accommodation, rental deposit and those basic bits and bobs you need upon arrival (bedding, cheap crockery etc). We then spent about £20k on a car (exchange rate was worse back then). Of course plenty of options to save costs in there, but that is what we spent, £45k if you include car.

So far - for a family of 2 Adults and 2 children + 2 dogs

Pre-migration £5,510.00 ( IELTS, Medicals, Visa, PCC, Skills assessment)

Reccie + visa Validation + flights = £6000

Migration = £6000 ( pet shipping + one way flight )

that's as far as I've got , wont be shipping anything, selling up and starting again!

Edited by GoldcoastMAD
Missed flight costs

I think you have to be more specific with your question, because otherwise people won't compare like with like.

For instance, Bobj just quoted his fare, nothing else. In those days, maybe he got free accommodation while he looked for a place to rent, and didn't have to survive on his savings for several weeks or months while he looked for work. And maybe he got a furnished flat so he didn't have to buy furniture. But maybe he did, and in that case all those costs need to be included, because they had to be paid for.

Most people will have:

- visa fees

- air fares

- shipping costs

- temporary accommodation

- money to live on until they find work

- cost of furniture and household effects

- cost of buying/taxing/insuring a car

So far - for a family of 2 Adults and 2 children + 2 dogs

wont be shipping anything, selling up and starting again!

I would seriously urge you to think twice about that! If you're going somewhere you can easily buy second hand furniture, by all means leave all the big stuff behind - but you will be astonished by how much it's going to cost you to replace the absolute multitude of small stuff. A medium Movecube for things like the kids' toys, out-of-season clothes, kitchen stuff, sheets and towels etc will more than pay for itself, though it may not seem like it now.

I would seriously urge you to think twice about that! If you're going somewhere you can easily buy second hand furniture, by all means leave all the big stuff behind - but you will be astonished by how much it's going to cost you to replace the absolute multitude of small stuff. A medium Movecube for things like the kids' toys, out-of-season clothes, kitchen stuff, sheets and towels etc will more than pay for itself, though it may not seem like it now.

I hear Ya, I'm pretty good at finding cheap stuff..always have been, and i haven't bought anything here for years ( i knew i moving.)

I think you have to be more specific with your question, because otherwise people won't compare like with like.

For instance, Bobj just quoted his fare, nothing else. In those days, maybe he got free accommodation while he looked for a place to rent, and didn't have to survive on his savings for several weeks or months while he looked for work. And maybe he got a furnished flat so he didn't have to buy furniture. But maybe he did, and in that case all those costs need to be included, because they had to be paid for.

Most people will have:

- visa fees

- air fares

- shipping costs

- temporary accommodation

- money to live on until they find work

- cost of furniture and household effects

- cost of buying/taxing/insuring a car

Err, @Marisawright...The title of the thread is, "How much did it cost you to migrate to Australia". Amibovered didn't ask for any more info.

Also, you assumed...rtfm.gif

For your information, I paid lodgings of £3 a week, including meals. I could have gone to a migrant hostel.Managed to get a job within 2 days of arriving in Smellbum and got paid £11 a week.

OK?? :wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Err, @Marisawright...The title of the thread is, "How much did it cost you to migrate to Australia". Amibovered didn't ask for any more info.

No, he didn't ask, and that's why I suggested he should be more specific so answers would be consistent and comparable - because in the first few posts there was you mentioning just your fare, and Bungo including everything.

Interesting thread, @amibovered.thumbs.gif

Also, a link to immigration.

http://museumvictoria.com.au/immigrationmuseum/discoverycentre/your-questions/ten-pound-poms/

In 1947 the average wage was about £5/12/0 and the fare was £10 for adults...2 week's wages.

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. To activate the £ sign, depress the Alt button and type 156 ...

We oldies aint all that dumb:tongue:

No, he didn't ask, and that's why I suggested he should be more specific so answers would be consistent and comparable - because in the first few posts there was you mentioning just your fare, and Bungo including everything.

Perhaps you should have started a thread concerning everything that YOU think everyone would be interested in??

Cheers, Bobj.

Interesting thread, @amibovered.thumbs.gif

Also, a link to immigration.

http://museumvictoria.com.au/immigrationmuseum/discoverycentre/your-questions/ten-pound-poms/

In 1947 the average wage was about £5/12/0 and the fare was £10 for adults...2 week's wages.

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. To activate the £ sign, depress the Alt button and type 156 ...

We oldies aint all that dumb:tongue:

Wow that's crazy Bobj, compared to the costs now - the fare and visa now is more like 2-3 months wages ( at Least, and not including anything else!)

Perhaps you should have started a thread concerning everything that YOU think everyone would be interested in??

Why are you getting your knickers in a knot? All I was pointing out was that different people would interpret the question differently - you and Bungo illustrating that already - and suggesting the kinds of costs people usually incur.

Nice of people to share, I must admit I'm slightly taken aback at the cost these days, but I'm sure this will be very interesting to prospective migrants.

An awful lot depends on whether you're coming alone or with family, and how settled you were before you left. A more established family will have more things they can't bear to part with (including pets!), a larger family will pay more fares, need a bigger hotel room, and cost more to feed while the breadwinner tries to find work etc. I came with my first husband, he had a job to go to and we found a furnished place so we didn't spend much at all, whereas I've seen people here quoting $50k.

Why are you getting your knickers in a knot? All I was pointing out was that different people would interpret the question differently - you and Bungo illustrating that already - and suggesting the kinds of costs people usually incur.

For heavens sake, we both said what we included, I am sure everyone is perfectly capable of reading.

And you seem to be the one taking this a bit too seriously, should everyone be running the wording of their posts past you? Or perhaps you would like to issue some questionnaires?

I can't remember how much the visa and flight costs were but we paid £4000 to ship all our stuff three years ago. We brought £10,000 (at a rubbish exchange rate) with us to start with and my OH spent $12,000 on a car. The rest of the money was spent on the bond and first two weeks rent for a long term rental. No accommodation costs when we arrived as we stayed at my mother in laws and my OH had a job to come to so had money coming in immediately.