pob

Four days in Sydney.

We have four days in Sydney left.

Any suggestions for things to do?

It depends what you've done already! I assume you've seen the Harbour, Opera House, Botanic Gardens, taken the ferries to Manly and Watson's Bay. You could visit the zoo but you need to allow a full day for it.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Doing the zoo tomorrow.

Just wondered if there was a must see or must do or must eat?

I've never been to a "posh" restaurant. Isn't "Rockpool " a good one? Take the ferry to Watson's Bay and have a meal at Doyles.?

If you wanted to see/do something a bit different you could visit Jenolan Caves. It is roughly a 3 hr drive west of Sydney. When we lived in Sydney we often did day trips there although you can stay overnight in Caves House if you want to.

Here is a link to the website but the photos don't begin to do the caves justice.

http://www.jenolancaves.org.au

If you wanted a dining experience that involves more than just eating dinner and looking at magnificent views (as nice as that is) you could consider dining on one of the Sydney Harbour showboats. The views of the city at night from the water are lovely and everyone we have taken has enjoyed their night.

http://www.sydneyshowboats.com.au

You may have done some/all of this already but quick cut & paste from a previous post

Opera House (Opera Kitchen does better food than Opera bar)

Botanical Gardens

Wander around the rocks, Sunday markets (Rooftop of the Glenmore is great - close to the bridgeclimb if you are doing that)

Ferry to Manly (Manly wharf hotel)

Ferry to Watsons bay (Doyles)

Darling harbour (Hurricanes for the best ribs ever, Chinta Ria for Asian)

Small bars (Baxter, Barber shop, Uncle Mings, Mojo records, Spooning goats all good, York St, Clarence st. Shady pines in Darlinghurst)

Other options

Bondi (North Bondi RSL is good and practically on the beach, or Icebergs), I'm not a huge fan but if you want to tick the box. Nice walk along the coast from Bondi to Coogee (about 90mins). If you have a car, Watsons bay via South head to North Bondi is nice.

Surry Hills - More for a night out - Crown st is the strip of bars/restaurants for all the hipsters

Newtown for an alternative & cheaper night out, Newtown hotel is good, King st is full of cheaper eats, c. $15 cab from the city

Balmain/Rozelle (my hood) - some great pubs, restaurants, cafes. Saturdays is best (Love Fish, Satasia, Indian palace all great eats. The London, Cat & Fiddle & the Baldrock good boozers. Live music in the Baldie from about 4 on a Sat., beautiful old school sandstone back street pub). Bus/Ferry, $15-$20 in a cab

Balmoral - beautiful harbour beach, if you have a car, pop up to middle head, stunning views and Burnt orange is nice for lunch, close to the Zoo also

Ferrys - Best way to see Sydney, Jump on random ferries & admire the harbour

If you have the money, a helicoptor trip over Sydney Harbour is really good (expensive though). I did it for my family a few years ago and it was great. You get a DVD of the trip also. Normally get about 45mins-1hour flying time. We went from Syd airport out to Homebush and down the river to the bridge/Opera house, then up middle harbour to close to the pittwater and back down over the coast & beaches. You're buzzing for hours after it.

Hope this helps,

Col

Bondi to Coogee walk and play some bowls at Clovelly

Hey,

I love being in Sydney and for me just being there is an experience in itself.

My mother recently came over for a visit from the UK so I myself was compiling a 'Must Do' list for her.

My list included a visit to the Rocks, there's also a night time walking tour that incorporates a look at Sydneys most historical houses and ghostly tales. This is awesome!

I also love the Chinese food court down on Factory Street in Haymarket. There's such an extensive array of noodle dishes, rice dishes, veggies, mock meats (real meats, I'm a veggie so these don't appeal lol) The atmosphere is chaotic and busy but its authentic and delightful and super cheap!

I also have a slight thing for Irish bars, so a visit to P.J O'Briens on King Street was definitely a must. They do great beer and cider and a fab selection of food. The atmosphere is warm and cosy and perfect for these chilly days.

I love Northern Sydney too, jump on the bus to Crows Nest its great!

These were my suggestions, her holiday rep recommended a lot extravagant things (which she did all of and loved)

Bridge climb

Lonepine animal park

Blue mountians day trip

A tour of the Opera House

Hope you have a great time!

We did the fine dining thing already.

But I like the walk idea, we will do that and the botanical gardens.

Maybe a re-vist of the absinthe salon as that was the coolest place we have had a drink in Sydney.

You may have done some/all of this already but quick cut & paste from a previous post

Opera House (Opera Kitchen does better food than Opera bar)

Botanical Gardens

Wander around the rocks, Sunday markets (Rooftop of the Glenmore is great - close to the bridgeclimb if you are doing that)

Ferry to Manly (Manly wharf hotel)

Ferry to Watsons bay (Doyles)

Darling harbour (Hurricanes for the best ribs ever, Chinta Ria for Asian)

Small bars (Baxter, Barber shop, Uncle Mings, Mojo records, Spooning goats all good, York St, Clarence st. Shady pines in Darlinghurst)

Other options

Bondi (North Bondi RSL is good and practically on the beach, or Icebergs), I'm not a huge fan but if you want to tick the box. Nice walk along the coast from Bondi to Coogee (about 90mins). If you have a car, Watsons bay via South head to North Bondi is nice.

Surry Hills - More for a night out - Crown st is the strip of bars/restaurants for all the hipsters

Newtown for an alternative & cheaper night out, Newtown hotel is good, King st is full of cheaper eats, c. $15 cab from the city

Balmain/Rozelle (my hood) - some great pubs, restaurants, cafes. Saturdays is best (Love Fish, Satasia, Indian palace all great eats. The London, Cat & Fiddle & the Baldrock good boozers. Live music in the Baldie from about 4 on a Sat., beautiful old school sandstone back street pub). Bus/Ferry, $15-$20 in a cab

Balmoral - beautiful harbour beach, if you have a car, pop up to middle head, stunning views and Burnt orange is nice for lunch, close to the Zoo also

Ferrys - Best way to see Sydney, Jump on random ferries & admire the harbour

If you have the money, a helicoptor trip over Sydney Harbour is really good (expensive though). I did it for my family a few years ago and it was great. You get a DVD of the trip also. Normally get about 45mins-1hour flying time. We went from Syd airport out to Homebush and down the river to the bridge/Opera house, then up middle harbour to close to the pittwater and back down over the coast & beaches. You're buzzing for hours after it.

Hope this helps,

Col

Yes have to 2nd The Barber Shop bar, run by my daughter's partner!!!!!

Edited by ramot