No one is replying to my CV in Sydney. I'm leaving. Backpacking is just misleading HYPE

Clyde

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://wwoof.com.au

We stayed at an inn on french island for the night.

The owner there uses wwoof. There were 3 girls from 3 different countries we chatted with.

The owner was saying he gets all sorts, some stay a few days, some a few weeks, some a few months (its classed as rural too).

He feeds them and gives accommodation, they work in the kitchen, paint, wash up. They were happy with the arrangement.

From what we saw, about five hours per day. Five or six days a week.

If i was young enough to do it, i would.

I'm going for that too. I've got a helpx account - it's amazing. You can stay anywhere from a boat to a farm to a wildlife sanctuary. That's where I found the hostel in sydney that lets you stay for 2 hours work. I've had a family in tamsworth NSW message me today about going there. The crap thing is that the government are changing it so these things don't count for your 2nd year visa anymore

I know multiple people that have recently returned or are still out there on a whv that I've recently contacted for advice. They're advice was to keep your options open and like others have said 'hit the pavement'. Some have been able to stay in their chosen city and have had to move, some have been lucky and got jobs there and then, some it's taken a little longer. Everyone's different but I really believe keeping your options open is key and keep positive:-)

Those talking about asking in person uninvited, you are worse than the misleading hype. That never works.

Regarding the niece anecdote, I've noticed girls have a much higher chance of employment. Lots of female preference here asking for 'hostess' or 'barmaid'. Regardless, the nieces are a case study representative of >0.01% of backpacker employment.

If anyone is reading this thread, please dear god keep your £1000+ for Europe you are 10000x better off, or go ahead and make the same mistake as me.

Maybe it's your upbeat attitude and sunny disposition that is the issue!!

Those talking about asking in person uninvited, you are worse than the misleading hype. That never works.

Wise words were spoken to me when I came to Australia; they were, "front up if you want a job". There was no such thing as backpackers, computers, emails, mobile phones, etc. managed to get 2 jobs within 1 hour by 'fronting up' First one was scrap metal sorting and the second was manufacturing concrete pipes... So it did work and still does.

If I was an employer, I would definitely want to see the person, rather than see a piece of paper, or a screenshot of someone's CV.

You still have a great deal to learn about people.

Cheers, Bobj.

I'm going for that too. I've got a helpx account - it's amazing. You can stay anywhere from a boat to a farm to a wildlife sanctuary. That's where I found the hostel in sydney that lets you stay for 2 hours work. I've had a family in tamsworth NSW message me today about going there. The crap thing is that the government are changing it so these things don't count for your 2nd year visa anymore

Thinking about it though, it would make competition less for these roles, if you're just there for the year and want to experience the country - certainly better than a flight home because you're broke.

Regarding the niece anecdote, I've noticed girls have a much higher chance of employment. Lots of female preference here asking for 'hostess' or 'barmaid'. Regardless, the nieces are a case study representative of >0.01% of backpacker employment.

If anyone is reading this thread, please dear god keep your £1000+ for Europe you are 10000x better off, or go ahead and make the same mistake as me.

Do you think you are unique in finding it difficult to find a job? When I first came to Australia, it took me three months, trying in three different states before I got my first job.

And how many CV's did you say you have submitted? Thirty? I submitted a hundred in six months before I got a job a couple of years back.

How do you know it would be any easier to get a job in Europe?

Maybe it's your own attitude that is putting people off employing you? Bars certainly do not want unhappy people working for them.

To be fair, it is much easier if your a hot female, all of my attractive female friends got jobs with just one day of walking around inner city bars and restaurants.

I reckon if you are a bloke you need a hipster beard and go for a coffee shop or bar

Clyde you have been given some very good advice, but it appears you choose not to take it. To be a successful job hunter these days, you have to use everything at your disposal. Just sending off a CV in answer to an ad just doesn't cut it in the current employment climate. If you aren't prepared to accept advice given to you, I suggest you just back your bags (and pop that bumptious attitude in the bottom of said bag) and wander back to UK.

Edited by Rossmoyne

Clyde you have been given some very good advice, but it appears you choose not to take it. To be a successful job hunter these days, you have to use everything at your disposal. Just sending off a CV in answer to an ad just doesn't cut it in the current employment climate. If you aren't prepared to accept advice given to you, I suggest you just back your bags (and pop that bumptious attitude in the bottom of said bag) and wander that to UK.

When I first came here, I was far more proactive than I am now, up early, into town to the job centre, again in the arvo, never thought I would get anything. Now, I am a bit like Clyde, just sending CV's to agencies or firms via Seek, although I don't bother looking now. I'm happy to be a bludger (unfortunately NOT a 'dole' though!)

To be fair, it is much easier if your a hot female, .

Rather than a hot-head! :-)

My wife works in a busy cafe and they get "walk-in" applicants all the time. Small businesses don't have a HR department to deal with sending out replies to hundreds of prospetive CV submissions. Small business owners don't "need" to reply to prospective CV's because most employees taken on are the happy cheerful prospective "walk-in" types just enquiring, and more often than not they can do a trial period that same day., or the next.

Also, don't walk in at a busy period when the staff are rushed off their feet. Time your enquiry at the right time of day, and mention that you purposely avoided bothering them at their busiest period. It shows thoughtfulness to the business and its customers.

The best thing to do here is network or front up.

My OH is a manager and he loves it if people front up, that way he can chat to them, suss them out, then check they are not k**bs on FB etc.

Sending a résumé off thru seek, a lot of the time means it will be checked for "keywords", thing is what "keywords " are they looking for??

I find it annoying too, but to get a job, you have to play the game

Rather than a hot-head! :-)

My wife works in a busy cafe and they get "walk-in" applicants all the time. Small businesses don't have a HR department to deal with sending out replies to hundreds of prospetive CV submissions. Small business owners don't "need" to reply to prospective CV's because most employees taken on are the happy cheerful prospective "walk-in" types just enquiring, and more often than not they can do a trial period that same day., or the next.

Also, don't walk in at a busy period when the staff are rushed off their feet. Time your enquiry at the right time of day, and mention that you purposely avoided bothering them at their busiest period. It shows thoughtfulness to the business and its customers.

When we moved here, youngest daughter was just out of school, no life experience at all. I walked her and her sister round the streets of Perth, handing in cvs. They both got jobs out of it, not careers granted, but in her case a job in a cafe with no experience paying $23 an hour. She was delighted.

now, after getting that initial WA experience, they are both in great admin jobs with career prospects, eldest daughters employer even paying her to go to uni.

Will agree that at an older age, it is a bit more difficult. But there is always the option of taking a career change and heading down a different route

My daughter is a manageress at a cafe in Brisbane and is not allowed to hire anyone other than Citizens or PR. She's had many a friend from the UK message her asking if she can get them work. So not every place does take WHV's. I'd imagine coming up to the festive period the demand for bar work would be there and in the winter farm work.

I think your own negativity is the problem here. Have you even tried to go in and ask in person? I think not.

Honestly for hospitality work in any country it's better to go in and speak to someone. To be fair though i did hear that men have it a bit tougher

Of course they do Stacey. Who would you employ to work in a bar or restaurant? A good looking guy or girl? I know you aren't supposed to discriminate on gender but it's only common sense. If you were running a busy bar for example, unless the good looking guy had lots of experience, the girl would get the job to attract males into the bar. I guess the odd good looking male wouldn't go a miss, specially in a few bars around Kings Cross.:wink: