Applying for jobs without visa

alansuspect

Hi all, I'm wondering at what point are people applying for jobs in Aus before they go? I've been looking at the job websites and am due to fly over in October. My visa may be granted any time between Sept and Dec (going on tourist visa just in case). Is it too early to be applying? Since I don't have a visa granted yet will I be turned down immediately?

Thanks!

I should think there is very little point at all, you are likely to just demoralise yourself and knock your confidence when you get no answers. Dont worry about it for now, focus on enjoying your last few months in the UK and then pick this up again nearer the time - no more than a week or two before you fly.

Hi all, I'm wondering at what point are people applying for jobs in Aus before they go? I've been looking at the job websites and am due to fly over in October. My visa may be granted any time between Sept and Dec (going on tourist visa just in case). Is it too early to be applying? Since I don't have a visa granted yet will I be turned down immediately?

Thanks!

Aside from the job hunting...

- Have you already got your tourist visa?

- If the visa gets granted while you're on-shore, have you made plans to exit and re-enter Oz to activate your visa?

- If you haven't got the tourist visa yet, be careful that it doesn't get granted soon after your "proper" visa - it may get overridden.

Aside from the job hunting...

- Have you already got your tourist visa?

- If the visa gets granted while you're on-shore, have you made plans to exit and re-enter Oz to activate your visa?

- If you haven't got the tourist visa yet, be careful that it doesn't get granted soon after your "proper" visa - it may get overridden.

Yeah I got the tourist visa granted today. My CO advised to get in touch around the time I go as he may be able to grant the visa before I leave. He understood it would be a pain to go for a week and have to leave Aus again.

There are plenty of jobs available at the moment but I don't know if it's worth applying before my visa is granted, even just to make myself known to potential employers.

Yeah I got the tourist visa granted today. My CO advised to get in touch around the time I go as he may be able to grant the visa before I leave. He understood it would be a pain to go for a week and have to leave Aus again.

There are plenty of jobs available at the moment but I don't know if it's worth applying before my visa is granted, even just to make myself known to potential employers.

Wasting people's time is not the way to make yourself known to potential employers. Don't apply for positions until you have a valid visa that entitles you to work in Aust.

The case officer has no say over when your visa will be granted...this is entirely up to the Australian immigration department. Which visa are you applying for?

No I know, I imagine it's more a case of 'checking up' to see where things are at. I'm applying for 309/100 partner visa.

Speaking to potential employers is not the same as applying for jobs - I would absolutely start networking - be absolutely honest and up front about your visa situation but start making contacts in companies you'd like to work for.

Speaking to potential employers is not the same as applying for jobs - I would absolutely start networking - be absolutely honest and up front about your visa situation but start making contacts in companies you'd like to work for.

Thanks Lady Rainicorn, I think that's the best approach. I'm getting in touch with some agencies too as they probably deal with this kind of stuff a bit more.

Edited by alansuspect

No I know, I imagine it's more a case of 'checking up' to see where things are at. I'm applying for 309/100 partner visa.

Timelines for grants on Spouse visas are pretty accurate. They have to wait because they can only grant so many per month so a queue builds up, but if they say Sept-Dec, thats what it'll be. Far better than the unreliable timelines for skills visas!

Thanks Lady Rainicorn, I think that's the best approach. I'm getting in touch with some agencies too as they probably deal with this kind of stuff a bit more.

You are probably wasting your time on agencies but consultancies are definitely worth talking to