Findings so far of being in the UK

Johndoe

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heading your way on Saturday @Johndoe, driving down to Buxton, then on to Somerset via Stonehenge for a week SO looking forward to the country pubs, the Central Belt of Scotland doesn't do them as well as England and proper afternoon teas - plenty of fab places here too but too much of an indulgence except for holidays.

I'm on holiday so I won't be looking at prices just enjoying but I do expect it to be more expensive - I know in London I can pay the same for a glass of wine as a bottle up here!!

Heading your way on Saturday @Johndoe, driving down to Buxton, then on to Somerset via Stonehenge for a week SO looking forward to the country pubs, the Central Belt of Scotland doesn't do them as well as England and proper afternoon teas - plenty of fab places here too but too much of an indulgence except for holidays.

I'm on holiday so I won't be looking at prices just enjoying but I do expect it to be more expensive - I know in London I can pay the same for a glass of wine as a bottle up here!!

On your way down through Derbyshire and you like a walk in the country then you can't go wrong with a little detour to Dovedale at the southern end of the shire

I know Stonehenge is on a few peoples bucket list, and though I have said it before, Avebury stone circle, to me is better, maybe not as impressive but a lot bigger, village and pub in the middle of it, you can walk all around it and hug a few stones if you so wish, all for free (except carpark at 7 quid a pop, free if NT member) there is a little museum (entry fee) and there are a few more things to see in the area (walkable if you so wish).

In Somerset, then a nice little village to see is Selworthy, and of course Exmoor (Lorna Doone country) but you must drive off the main roads and go along more of the narrow lanes to get the full diversity of Exmoor.

Enjoy your trip.

On your way down through Derbyshire and you like a walk in the country then you can't go wrong with a little detour to Dovedale at the southern end of the shire

I know Stonehenge is on a few peoples bucket list, and though I have said it before, Avebury stone circle, to me is better, maybe not as impressive but a lot bigger, village and pub in the middle of it, you can walk all around it and hug a few stones if you so wish, all for free (except carpark at 7 quid a pop, free if NT member) there is a little museum (entry fee) and there are a few more things to see in the area (walkable if you so wish).

In Somerset, then a nice little village to see is Selworthy, and of course Exmoor (Lorna Doone country) but you must drive off the main roads and go along more of the narrow lanes to get the full diversity of Exmoor.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the tips, we have had two previous holidays in Somerset and a couple in Devon and Cornwall too when we used to live in England but since moving to Scotland in 2002 it always seemed a long way. After the road trips we did in Australia though it seems do-able now and our son has never been - I have seen Stonehenge countless times but we are going for him (at 12 he is fascinated with conspiracy theories, myths and legends and the like!) but I think I will take up your suggestion of Avebury as you are not the only person to make the same suggestion to me.

We're taking our mountain bikes & hiking boots so we'll be aiming to get off the beaten track as much as possible - and we always set our sat nav to 'shortest' rather than 'quickest' route on these kind of holidays which leads to interesting diversions without getting too lost - might even go low tech and buy an OS map - I have just searched a shelf full but I don't seem to have one for the area we are going, maybe a casualty of our move around the world and back, i seem to have one for everywhere but though!!

Sounds crazy............being in Salisbury 'n all, but due to the relating of my past experiences to my kids, tomorrow is an early rise and a late return,,,,,,we're off to t0 the wilderness of the Brecon. Not as high, or as dramatic as the mountains I will eventually show them (on future trips) but still indicative of how easily you can lose your life if not prepared for the terrain, and how much beauty can mask danger if you're not familiar with the terrain and climate

@Perthbum, I've got no complaint about fish and chicken in the supermarket, personally I've never been able to pick the difference between the quality of fish/chicken between the small independent shops and the supermarkets, in Australia or here. I'm talking about steak. In Australia, I always found Woollies had cr@p steak. Coles' scotch fillet was pretty good. Steak from a good butcher was better (and of course, steak from a rubbish butcher was worse). In the UK, I have tried all the supermarket steak now (even Waitrose and M&S) and it isn't even as good as Woollies! But right now I have no way of telling whether independent butchers might be better, because I haven't been able to get to one yet - they're like hen's teeth.
@Marisawright try Able & Cole for steak. They are online only and most of the stuff is organic and more expensive than the supermarkets but we had some excellent meat from them when we lived in the UK. They started as an organic veg box scheme but you don't have to get the boxes from them and can order what ever you want.

@Johndoe sounds like you are having a lovely time in the UK and getting to see and do loads of things. I'm enojoying reading the updates.

Edited by NicF

I will second Keith with Dove Dale.

Another fantastic option is a bit higher at Hartington.

Park at the duck pond and take the footpath up the valley on the side of the dale and back down on the road.

Or go south down the dale and back up Long Dale to the road and back into the village.

Lunch at the Devonshire Arms (The other one is a bit crappier)

Grab some cheese at the cheese shop.

Head upto Bakewell, Buxton and over the pass to Holmefirth.

My in-laws had their golden wedding anniversary in Buxton a few years ago. Our eldest was 18 at the time and while the ladies and younger kids went round the shops and sights me and the wife's Sisters hubby and nephew, the same age as our eldest went a tour of the pubs all afternoon.:laugh: We were going out for a slap up meal in the evening so had to have a quick nap to sober up a bit. Plenty of good pubs in Buxton LR, not too expensive either, compared to London positively cheap.

I will second Keith with Dove Dale.

Another fantastic option is a bit higher at Hartington.

Park at the duck pond and take the footpath up the valley on the side of the dale and back down on the road.

Or go south down the dale and back up Long Dale to the road and back into the village.

Lunch at the Devonshire Arms (The other one is a bit crappier)

Grab some cheese at the cheese shop.

Head upto Bakewell, Buxton and over the pass to Holmefirth.

Thank you \.

Buxton is really just a stopover to break the journey but it is sounding like we need to take a holiday there next year!!

I'll take a note of all these places and if they aren't too much of a detour they could be places to stop for lunch/afternoon tea

Had a lie in this morning after a tiring day in the brecon yeasterday. Climbed Gwaun Rhudd Beacon and strolled through Tallybont Forest. I was surprised by the toll bridge 6 pound fifty!!!!!!!!!! Good job they only charge one way, and we whinge about the gateway toll in Brizzy at half the price! "Lunch" was had at a pub in Tallybont.......... Steak and mushroom baguette with chips and salad for Jake, Beef pie in stout gravy for Josh, and corned beef pie for me. Huge portions with lovely crusty pastry, the lot for 22quid. Two pints of Koppaburg and a pint of orange for Jake cost 6 pounds 85. (can she add up?) Can't whinge at that!

Today, Josh is going to Southampton on the train (they're every 20minutes) with Lewis, my grandson, his 5yr younger Nephew. Apparently there's no decent "men's shops" in Salisbury so Lewis goes there to shop for his "cool stuff". At just turned 15 and 6'5" it's no wonder he has trouble finding clothes! Jake and I are just gonna chill and walk into the city, see the cathedral, and view Mompesson House.

On the food front...........what is it that they do, or don't do, to the bread here? Our first loaf had green mould after only two days, and two packets of bread rolls the same. All from tesco. Our current 2 day old loaf is also "turning" despite feeling fresh and being in date

Edited by Johndoe

Had a lie in this morning after a tiring day in the brecon yeasterday. Climbed Gwaun Rhudd Beacon and strolled through Tallybont Forest. I was surprised by the toll bridge 6 pound fifty!!!!!!!!!! Good job they only charge one way, and we whinge about the gateway toll in Brizzy at half the price!" Lunch" was had at a pub in Tallybont.......... Steak and mushroom baguette with chips and salad for Jake, Beef pie in stout gravy for Josh, and corned beef pie for me. Huge portions with lovely crusty pastry, the lot for 22quid. Two pints of Koppaburg and a pint of orange for Jake cost 6 pounds 85. (can she add up?) Can't whinge at that!

Today, Josh is going to Southampton on the train (they're every 20minutes) with Lewis, my grandson, his 5yr younger Nephew. Apparently there's no decent "men's shops" in Salisbury so Lewis goes there to shop for his "cool stuff". At just turned 15 and 6'5" it's no wonder he has trouble finding clothes! Jake and I are just gonna chill and walk into the city, see the cathedral, and view Mompesson House.

On the food front...........what is it that they do, or don't do, to the bread here? Our first loaf had green mould after only two days, and two packets of bread rolls the same. All from tesco. Our current 2 day old loaf is also "turning" despite feeling fresh and being in date

Sounds like a bargain to me!

dunno about the bread.....we have never had any probs with bread going moldy after a couple of days unless its out of date or not stored correctly.

For once Wimbledon is bathed in glorious sunshine. Nice to see everyone with sunnies and t shirts for a change.

it has the last few years, we do not seem to get anythink like the rain we did a decade ago annualy. Global warming is the cause.

best time to visit the uk always seems to be when wimbeldon has started, dont know why but there always bseems a buzz when the tennis is on

Edited by Perthbum

Maybe there are more preservatives in Aussie bread? Maybe Tesco's freeze their bread which makes it more likely to go mouldy when thawed? What happens to bread from other shops does that do the same?

When I was a kid in the UK I remember bread going mouldy very quickly so I am inclined to think that nowadays bread is full of all sorts of stuff to keep it 'fresh'.

Maybe there are more preservatives in Aussie bread? Maybe Tesco's freeze their bread which makes it more likely to go mouldy when thawed? What happens to bread from other shops does that do the same?

When I was a kid in the UK I remember bread going mouldy very quickly so I am inclined to think that nowadays bread is full of all sorts of stuff to keep it 'fresh'.

because of the outcry of preservatives in uk bread some years ago it has been removed which makes it go mouldy quick.

Same here, bread (apart from the stuff JB buys) usually lasts for over a week!! that ain't right...

because of the outcry of preservatives in uk bread some years ago it has been removed which makes it go mouldy quick.

That explains it then! I tend to freeze my bread and only thaw what I need as a result of natural bread going mouldy when I was a kid.

I'd rather my bread went mouldy quick than lasted a week tbh. Our bread goes mouldy quicker here in the warm weather so we put it in the fridge...it's been extra warm in the UK hasn't it so maybe that's why.

We just use a bread bin and UK houses are generally better insulated so ambient temperatures are not the issue. The great thing here is that we have so much choice, we don't have to buy food with additives or bacon with added water if we don't want to.

not having it... most of the popular brands last a week and more!! We get hovis brown and I never remember it being so doughy. I have an Ayres bakers up the road that has lovely fresh bread of all types so no excuses.

Also I remember legislation making it law to label all meats that have added water but it seems to have died out,, i checked the label on the bacon and nothing about added water but I know there was.