Findings so far of being in the UK

Johndoe

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer part 1 of your quote = generally major retailers, find a good butcher, support local, and you will rarely have an issue.

To answer part 2 of your quote = That was in the link I attached. No prize for second. Keep up, sweetcheeks!

I haven't seen a butcher anywhere in Southampton yet, though I've been to several different suburbs. You've prompted me to do some Googling and looks like there is one near the city centre I'll have to go hunting for!

Have you been to Weston-super-Mare yet Kev? We went in October and were really pleasantly surprised. When we left 5 years ago it had become very run down and was known for its drugs problems but now it's been completely turned around, looks like a Mediterranean holiday resort. Go while the weathers lovely .

We probably won't get there. Just waiting for Jake to come out of the shower and then we're off. at his insistence. to Brighton

I know people talk about the standard of driving between Oz and UK, and having just done almost 4000 miles over 5.5 weeks in the UK, I can safely say that UK drivers have the edge, but what the heck is it with using roundabouts these days??? people approaching them as though they are coming up to a stop line, then giving way as though it is a T junction, not reading the traffic for direction or speed against distance, giving way to a vehicle that is behind another vehicle which is exiting prior to your lane:arghh::wacko::arghh:

Oh the difference is huge, drivers here are courteous and seem to know what they are doing and the lane discipline is just so much better, they actually know what the left lane is for lol.

We drove from Nottingham to Blackpool last Wednesday afternoon and had to avoid 3 'near misses' thanks to other incompetent drivers cutting lanes or slamming their breaks on and we saw 2 major crashes. On the way home on Saturday lunchtime only 1 'near miss' but again 2 major crashes. We had only done a 2 1/2 hour drive. Is it like that in Australia?

You saw 4 major crashes and had 4 near misses in just one return journey ?

Thanks for that, however I've just been surprised at how it's possible to walk through entire suburbs and not find one independent butcher or baker. I guess it's the way Australia will go too, as the supermarkets grind them out of business.

Looking at the list, apart from Bitterne all those butchers are in outlying suburbs or villages.

Thanks for that, however I've just been surprised at how it's possible to walk through entire suburbs and not find one independent butcher or baker. I guess it's the way Australia will go too, as the supermarkets grind them out of business.

Looking at the list, apart from Bitterne all those butchers are in outlying suburbs or villages.

It was certainly going that way in Australia when we left, it is inevitable that many won't be able to compete with the supermarkets. We are lucky that we have quite a few around us here.

The supermarkets do fresh fish and fresh chicken as good as any butcher or fishmonger...they both buy from the same source.

I'm not sure that is always the case, the butchers around here tend to use local small suppliers rather than the big farms the supermarkets would use.

I'm not sure that is always the case, the butchers around here tend to use local small suppliers rather than the big farms the supermarkets would use.

Our local butcher definitely doesn't use the same suppliers.

He must be a jinx....I rarely see any major crashes, one every 5 years maybe....4 in one trip....wow.

Saw 3 today on the way to brighton all of them air bag jobs with one care embedded under the back of a truck I must be hallucinating eh? Its no wonder, the speed some of them were doing. No axe to grind here, but I've never seen so many "money jobs" speeding so fast as I've seen since arriving

Well, only goes to show what a small minded, small town hick I must be. Always thought of Brighton as a small seaside resort where people retired to die.........no internet in my educating years you see :-)

It was lovely. Clean, cosmopolitan, laid back, and the folk basking in the gardens outside the pavilion (what a beautiful building) were quiet and just "soaking it all up" We just loved the place, despite the clear indicators of an underclass resident there. We were on our feet for a full 6 hrs minus 30 minutes spent in Harry Ramsdens. Plaice for Jake, cod for Josh, and haddock for myself, all with bread and butter, mushy peas and the obligatory chav curry sauce. We "mixed and matched" of course, tasting each others' fish and we all decided we had made the right choice.

Only downside was the kids in inflatables that would fast have disappeared over the horizon should an offshore wind eventuate, and the hiring out of kayaks to folk with no skill in using them. We stood on the pier watching a hapless capsized couple attempting to "re-embark" from the side, which of course, resulted in them simply overturning the kayak time and time again. As they drifted towards the pier (the kayak having escaped from them a couple of times) I shouted instructions to them as to how they could get back on which they eventually managed, and not a moment too soon as I could see they were fast tiring. It's only a matter of time before there'll be a disaster there.

As to weather: It showed 32 on the car's thermo............felt no different than 23 in Bizzy. Whether that is down to less humidity than brizzy, I really don't know but here, I was lapping it up and really comfortable with it, in brizzy, I would have been sweating like a pig.

That's what he tells you.

hes one of the few i can completely trust.

His father owned a local abattoirs for 50 years.

He stated his apprenticeship there when my mother started as the office girl and my grandfather was the head butcher.

Our family has known him for the last 40 years,

So yes, i trust his word.

As to weather: It showed 32 on the car's thermo............felt no different than 23 in Bizzy. Whether that is down to less humidity than brizzy, I really don't know but here, I was lapping it up and really comfortable with it, in brizzy, I would have been sweating like a pig.

im with you on this one, I've not struggled with the heat at all so far. It must be quite low humidity

hes one of the few i can completely trust.

His father owned a local abattoirs for 50 years.

He stated his apprenticeship there when my mother started as the office girl and my grandfather was the head butcher.

Our family has known him for the last 40 years,

So yes, i trust his word.

A cow is a cow, a chicken is a chicken, a lamb is a lamb...can there really be a great difference in the taste from a supermarket to a butcher?

A cow is a cow, a chicken is a chicken, a lamb is a lamb...can there really be a great difference in the taste from a supermarket to a butcher?

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

And this is from someone who always claims to buy local as supermarkets give low quality produce.

Go find Parley and get your placard back!