Findings so far of being in the UK

Johndoe

I'm not putting this in another section as I know it'll likely start another bun fight and chewing the fat can handle that. Further to the UK v Oz cost debate. Those that know me will know I am cost conscious so take this as read. Waitrose today...........leg of lamb on the bone 12.99 pounds that is, a kilo......Oz....$7.99............boned GBP 24.99!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are there really folk out there who would pay that just to avoid a bone?

What is it with the thin and thick bacon? When I left 20 yrs ago, bacon was all the same thickness cut......I was looking forward to a fry up this morning only to find that my bacon was no thicker than a cigarette paper!!!!!!!

No tongues to turn the sausages, or "fish slice" to splash/turn the eggs in the unit so dashed out to buy some 5 quid each, bottom of range in Waitrose and identical to those back in Oz that cost 2 bucks each!!!!!!

Shopped in Tesco the day before and found "swings and roundabouts" mentally but didn't take note, but, for the sake of those without an agenda and genuinely interested, I will post later what my findings are when I am settled...........atm I'm a bit "confused" ;-) by my 12 quid bottle of brandy (identical to the Oz one that costs me $25) and there again, apart for beer, I actually find alcohol, at the best comparable, but more than likely, dearer than Oz, despite what has gone before...............mind you, I am in Salisbury so that has to be borne in mind, despite the image of drunken squaddies it is fairly upmarket here.................boys asleep..............me smashed........so night night

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We found the meat prices varied greatly, pork loin was way cheaper in Tesco than anywhere in OZ, lamb was more expensive , but some of the beef cuts were similar. Really that applied to the whole range of food stuffs at normal off the shelf prices, the only thing I did notice is that the specials in the UK were generally better and more abundant, so I would say that with some selective shopping around, the UK would be cheaper.

How much is a breakfast? Got any pics? :-)

5 quid.........7 with unlimited drink. We're going here in about an hour to set us up for the day...........saves buying lunch :-} http://www.harvester.co.uk/restaurants/southwest/theoldcastlesalisbury/breakfast

Had a lovely chinese last night and I'd forgotten how good their chips and mushrooms tasted. 7 full meals with 6 extra portions 62 quid the lot and we couldn't eat it all the portions were that big

Then we're going here http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/stourhead/visitor-information/ I've just taken the kids a cup of tea in bed and got a bollocking for waking them! Sometimes you just can't win! :-)

Don't worry about the prices

It doesn't actually matter to us in Aus what it costs in the UK

Why should it?

Those in the UK seem to think its so important lol

Surely it matters because the whole purpose of this forum is to provide information for people considering a move between the two countries. That makes comparisons of cost useful and important.

I usually plan my meals and budget accordingly in the UK but tonight we were short on time and went to Morrisons. A week's worth of food and toiletries £117!!! I couldn't believe it. Last time I just 'nip' to a UK supermarket without pre-planning it. Most the stuff was on offer or Morrisons own brand. Total alcohol purchased 1 x £2 bottle of cider!

Asda used to do some brilliant " 2 for the price 1 " offers ... also found it cheaper ...

We have started doing a basics shop at asda, with a top up from acado. They don't do many 2:1 specials, but they are very good value.

The thing is though, Australia should be cheaper, as they have the stronger currency. Sadly as the dollar drops, this will no longer be the case for imported goods. Fortunately, the price of breakfasts won't change.

Stop Press: son brought me 600gms tesco thick cut bacon as he was sick of me whingeing about the 4 packs of thin that I'd bought. Cost 4 quid therefore 900gms = 6 quid at today's rate = A$12.28 In Oz I pay 9,95 for a kilo. 160 tetley t bags 3.95 = A$8.08 The same price that I pay at Coles for 200 although they're often on special at arund 5.50. looks good or does it? 160 tesco ones weigh 500gms but coles 200 weighs only 440 grams!! Either way, I still get 40 more cups in Oz and tbh, I can't tell the difference either way

Looking forward to my kippers for brekky tomorrow @ tesco pice GBP 6.50 a kilo = A$13.50 Bargain! Coles.....A$22.30 a kilo!

Stop Press: son brought me 600gms tesco thick cut bacon as he was sick of me whingeing about the 4 packs of thin that I'd bought. Cost 4 quid therefore 900gms = 6 quid at today's rate = A$12.28 In Oz I pay 9,95 for a kilo. 160 tetley t bags 3.95 = A$8.08 The same price that I pay at Coles for 200 although they're often on special at arund 5.50. looks good or does it? 160 tesco ones weigh 500gms but coles 200 weighs only 440 grams!! Either way, I still get 40 more cups in Oz and tbh, I can't tell the difference either way

Looking forward to my kippers for brekky tomorrow @ tesco pice GBP 6.50 a kilo = A$13.50 Bargain! Coles.....A$22.30 a kilo!

Congratulations kev,

you're back three days and you've slid beautifully into the whinging pom vernacular.

The bacon is crap, the tea bags are no different,

What are the sausages like?

How much for a lemon?

Edited by dmjg