Etihad

Guest51810

It makes me laugh that people expect economy in the 787 to be massive improvement on economy on a 777 ...

It won't be. Economy is economy.

Well it will probably be worse (the 787). Most carriers are fitting it out 3-3-3, the same as many 777s...except the 787 cabin is 40cm narrower so...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, you got me on that one. I've only ever managed to get upstairs once though.

Downstairs though. Same old same old.

First time was on Singapore, more by accident than planned, next two with Singapore we booked direct with them and booked seats at the time of booking. Malaysia Air first time we had to pay an extra$50 each seat on each flight, last time cost nothing. Even if you cannot get a window seat the whole section upstairs seems more comfortable as only some 60 or so economy seats, also means toilets more readily available and cleaner, and also generally get your choice on meals instead of having what's left of the second option.

I think I've only been upstairs once!

Most planes I've got on from the London to Asia leg have been A380's.

Not all airlines have the same configuration, Emirates do not have economy upstairs, Malaysia does, and Singapore have a mixture, on one Singapore flight we had the upstairs seats booked only to find (when internet checking-in) that they had, with out any notification to us, changed planes and had me and Linda sat separately downstairs.

However do your research, on the airline, seat guru and best booking direct with airline as you can usually pick your seats at time of booking.

Flown Etihad a few times and always found them good. Actually flying with them to Dublin in a few weeks. The big advantage for Irish travellers is that you skip a stopover in Europe and go direct into Dublin from Abu Dhabi. I used to hate that 2nd stopover in Heathrow, CDG, etc Also going from Aus first you get the big leg over first.

Skip London if you can, if no directs from Scotland, go through Dublin, quite often the Dublin Abu Dhabi flight is only 50-60% full so plenty of room.

Now have the Emirates option too via Dubai. Would love if Singapore opened a Dublin direct route.

If flying Etihad, join the virgin aus ff scheme, Emirates, join Qantas. Your long haul flight will probably earn you enough for a free domestic in Aus.

Hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...
Anybody else think that the upper deck on A380's are really quiet? (In comparison to downstairs)

Assuming you mean the upstairs economy section (about 60 seats)? then yes it is, also the window seats are roomier due to the storage compartments under the window, toilets generally stay cleaner and more readily available, plus food choice ( of meal option) is more likely to be available.

Assuming you mean the upstairs economy section (about 60 seats)? then yes it is, also the window seats are roomier due to the storage compartments under the window, toilets generally stay cleaner and more readily available, plus food choice ( of meal option) is more likely to be available.

Didn't even realise they had economy upstairs, we flew back to London on one in January.

has anyone seen the cabin class they've just brought out? No upgrades you have to pay to play, you get a bedroom, a bathroom with a shower, your own chef and a 55" flat screen. I'm guessing with the cost of it if you're a family of 4 you may as well charter a private jet lol

Didn't even realise they had economy upstairs, we flew back to London on one in January.

has anyone seen the cabin class they've just brought out? No upgrades you have to pay to play, you get a bedroom, a bathroom with a shower, your own chef and a 55" flat screen. I'm guessing with the cost of it if you're a family of 4 you may as well charter a private jet lol

Seat Guru is your friend. When booking flights and seats we always have seat guru open to try and get the seats we want, but if not at least not get poor seats.

Seat Guru is your friend. When booking flights and seats we always have seat guru open to try and get the seats we want, but if not at least not get poor seats.

I used to fly in and around the Middle East a lot and I've always just checked in nice and early and asked for the exit row.

I used to fly in and around the Middle East a lot and I've always just checked in nice and early and asked for the exit row.

Theses days, especially on long haul, you can, more so when booking directly with the airline, reserve a seat at time of booking though this is not a dead-set guarantee, plus you have web check-in of some 24-48 hrs prior to flight, so turning up early on day of flight will be more a question of luck in getting a good seat location. However flying domestic on short flights of upto say 3hrs duration should not need to be a worry were one sits. But being next to the toilets in a seat with limited recline on an 8hr plus flight is not so nice.

We flew with them 12 months ago and found them to be very comfortable. The food was also very good and plentiful and the staff very friendly. The flight was very long (obviously), but having just flown Malaysian Airlines with just one stop rather than Etihad's two stops I think I'd rather go with Etihad next time.

I was quite disappointed with Malaysian Airlines, so personally I'll be avoiding them in future.

We flew with them 12 months ago and found them to be very comfortable. The food was also very good and plentiful and the staff very friendly. The flight was very long (obviously), but having just flown Malaysian Airlines with just one stop rather than Etihad's two stops I think I'd rather go with Etihad next time.

I was quite disappointed with Malaysian Airlines, so personally I'll be avoiding them in future.

The flight I'm looking at Is only one stop. Edinburgh to Abu dhabi for 90 minutes and then Sydney. Think it might kill me off

I Would only ever fly with a Middle eastern airline, I used to use Qatar airways because that's where I lived and to and from the UK was always great and a lot of the time you could just take a middle row of 4 to yourself and lie down, problem is they are far more expensive than most. The only middle Easter airline that I would recommend is gulf air.

someone was saying Qatar aren't that great anymore. They seem to have some good prices coming back from Australia though. When I was looking at a one way from UK to Singapore for my stopover Qatar were doing Edinburgh to Singapore for £300.

The main reason I'm looking at Etihad is they have a 9 month return on offer for £720 at the moment and i'm trying to decide wether to take it

Yeah. It would only let me search November to June and I found a return for 640. I thought wow so I phoned up sta travel but they said I couldn't change the dates. He offered me one for £740 that was November till the 31st of may and said that was with one free date change but it was only valid for 9 months.

I don't want to pay £1000 for a flight that I potentially wont use but if its not much more than a one way then I wouldn't mind as much. There is a chance I'll want to study next august but I wont really know until I get there. It depends on how much I like australia