Singapore

Guest51810

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd not worry overly about it Stacey. If you need to change it back at some point, you'll lose a few $$ perhaps on the exchange rate/fee but for a few days, take what you think you'll need and you can always change or withdraw a bit more if you need to. Its not like you are going to be left with $200 SGD or something is it? If you've budgeted and allowed X amount for food each day you shouldn't have too much left over.

Just ensure you don't get stuck with loads of coins as you can't change those back.

I usually take $20SGD for within the airport and that covers the pool and a snack/drink if I need one. If I run out of cash in the airport I pay whatever else currency wise I have on me in notes and want to get rid of. And then get change in SGD of course.

Still haven't figured out how much I'll spend tbh. Before I was thinking roughly £100 for the whole stopover but now that my activities probably won't be going ahead I don't know if I'd spend all that. I'm going to do the bus tour but other than that really all I'll do is chill, go see the marina etc

Yes your UK bank account. Provided you have a visa debit card.

Tell your our bank you may want to use you card in Singapore...

Good point, you need to inform your bank of all your travel plans, otherwise they might stop your account if suspicious of activity.

if possible it's useful to have more than one bank card. Ours was swallowed up once in Nairobi airport by the ATM.

lol when did I say I'd survive on thin air? It's people on here that keep telling me that food over there is really cheap unless I'm going to proper restaurants. And I'm not drinking alcohol. I'm only there 2 nights so I'm not there for a long time

Yes it's very cheap to eat especially if you use the street vendors or in the markets. You won't need much at all. Has that haze really affected Singapore that badly ? It will be a shame to miss out on the activities.

Well that girl said its like a very cloudy day and I think it the range wasn't too bad when she was there. So if it's really unclear there's probably no point doing the cable ride but I might still do the night zoo. I had a bit of a meltdown with my hostel location because when they sent me the details it sounded a bit harder than I realised but I might just get a taxi there with my luggage if I'm really tired and stressed. Then once I've left my luggage I can explore more

I'm only planning on using my UK one in aus till I sort out my aus one, I've applied for it but I just need to go to the office with my passport.

Of course you'll need an Australian bank account so you've got somewhere to pay your salary into, but I think people get too worried about using their UK card in Australian ATM's and vice versa. Just make sure you understand what the fees are.

Tell your our bank you may want to use you card in Singapore...

Yes definitely do this.

Just ring them up and tell them you will probably use your credit card in Singapore on whatever dates you are there.

Otherwise they may think it is a dodgy transition "suspicious activity" (as they like to call it) and they will reject it. Even worse they may put a barr on your card and unbarring from overseas is a long winded episode.

On my travels in Asia, I had UK and USA travelers cheques. I just cashed them as and when I needed them.

SS

I absolutely loved Singapore.

It is a little tame or sterile compared to Bangkok or Hong Kong. But it is great for the first time traveller.

Bangkok is an assault on the senses and completely overwhelming for the unseasoned traveller. So Singapore will give you an introductory taste of Asia, but in a very safe and gentle manner.

I agree with many previous suggestions on this thread:

Stick with the hawker markets and steamboats stalls for food, as it is tasty, plentiful and cheap. Eat at ones that are busy with locals, as it will be very fresh due to quick turnover. If you are concerned about tummy upsets due to foreign food, then stick to non-spicy or vegetarian. If you do want cheap alcohol, then stick to the local brew of Tiger Beer.

The big tourist chain hotels and Western food restaurants (like Hard Rock Café) are expensive. So stick local and you will be fine.

The famous cocktail Singapore Sling at the Raffles Hotel is expensive. But most people visit Raffles just for the experience. So take a look at the hotel and avoid the bar if you want to save money there.

I stayed in a cheap traditional old fashioned Chinese hotel near Chinatown. It was considerably cheaper than the known tourist hotels.

In fact, reading from my travel diary Friday 27th September 1991: Flew Darwin to Singapore. Checked into The Old Majestic Hotel near Chinatown – it is NOT very majestic.

Looks like a lot has changed since then. It is now called The New Majestic Hotel and looks lovely.

Otherwise just stick with an YHA and you cannot go wrong.

Do you have YHA membership? They can come in handy. Although I find YHA’s a bit sterile and only used my membership card twice in two years. I preferred backpacker hostels and traditional small hotels away from the tourist hub. Although I once accidentally booked into a brothel in Malaysia mistaking it for a traditional hotel – that was a night to remember!

Stacey, you can make Singapore as expensive or as cheap as you like.....your choice.

Just walking around admiring the sights will of course be free. The train service to get you around is quite cheap. It is also the best train service in the world in terms of cleanliness, safety, on time and easy to use. The zoo entry and cable car rides will of course cost you money but they are both definitely worth doing.

I love Singapore too - and find it far from sterile. It's a real melting pot of cultures if you just look deeper than the surface. It almost went communist in the 1960s.

It is on the equator, though, which means that air quality is never that great. It is always humid, a bit hazy/cloudy and liable to rain without much warning. Just roll with it.

I love Singapore too - and find it far from sterile. It's a real melting pot of cultures if you just look deeper than the surface. It almost went communist in the 1960s.

It is on the equator, though, which means that air quality is never that great. It is always humid, a bit hazy/cloudy and liable to rain without much warning. Just roll with it.

I was living in Borneo during a very bad smoke haze, it is actually a serious health risk, and lots of expats who could leave did.

We bought special extra filters for our air con and they were filthy,when we replaced them,we couldn't see much further than 100 yards for many weeks.

We were talking about it with other ex Brunei friends on sat. remembering how bad it was in 1997? think that was when it was.

My husband was saying that you could smell it when he descended below 10000ft. He was a pilot in case that sounded odd.

The other awful thing is that the burning is creating havoc for the wild live especially the orang u tangs in Borneo.

I really like Singapore, among other places that have been recommended I love the Jurang Bird park, Boat and Clarke Quay, and a Bum boat ride is fun.

Hope the haze clears well enough for you Stacey to enjoy Singapore. xM