Singapore

Guest51810

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just reminded me of that friends episode lol. My hair does that here too anyway, well my fringe does. It'll just get scraped back with those hair clips! As long as my accommodation at night is air conditioned then that's the main thing really

My cousin messaged me earlier said he hadn't forgotten about my Bangkok questions and he would reply today but I said I was thinking singapore now. He said it was really expensive and Id have to get a job. Lol he must have thought i meant I was moving there! :laugh: He agreed it was probably a better place for me to go as a stopover than Bangkok

It just reminded me of that friends episode lol. My hair does that here too anyway, well my fringe does. It'll just get scraped back with those hair clips! As long as my accommodation at night is air conditioned then that's the main thing really

My cousin messaged me earlier said he hadn't forgotten about my Bangkok questions and he would reply today but I said I was thinking singapore now. He said it was really expensive and Id have to get a job. Lol he must have thought i meant I was moving there! :laugh: He agreed it was probably a better place for me to go as a stopover than Bangkok

Didn't you know the sweaty look is in now?!!

There's nothing I used to help except lots of deodrant lol. Nothing for my hair, it was going to be sweaty whether it was up or down, I just had to wash it every day and shower at least twice a day!

Do Bangkok on your return trip, you're anxieties about travel will have melted away by then and you may even have some fellow travellers to go with. I would hate you to start your trip with a bad experience so be easy on yourself.

For your day on Sentosa get a fun pass..

http://www.sentosa.com.sg/en/sentosa-fun-pass/

(exchange rate is around 1$ = 50p so price in GBP is about half)

And you must do the fish pedicure - weird but amazing, your feet will be left all beach ready for Australia!

Do Bangkok on your return trip, you're anxieties about travel will have melted away by then and you may even have some fellow travellers to go with. I would hate you to start your trip with a bad experience so be easy on yourself.

And you must do the fish pedicure - weird but amazing, your feet will be left all beach ready for Australia!

Oh god those poor fish :laugh:

Oh god yes, we all did the fish pedicure, it is absolutely fantastic.

Do you think a stopover is definitely worth it to break the journey up a bit? My mum thinks I should go straight there but she's got a cheek lol she wouldn't even last on a 8 hour flight

Absolutely 100% yes, a stopover is great and allows your to recharge the batteries.

I wouldn't call it expensive by any means, certainly not as cheap as it used to be but not expensive. Easily the pick of Far East destinations though.

Hardly a back packer choice though. Or has that scene changed so much? But for a brief stop over as OP is desiring I guess hardly of importance as more a break in journey. Yes is expensive compared to neighbouring countries by a considerable amount. Of course not have to Australian levels yet

Do you think a stopover is definitely worth it to break the journey up a bit? My mum thinks I should go straight there but she's got a cheek lol she wouldn't even last on a 8 hour flight

No way. Be a shame to fly over some of the easiest/cheapest places on earth to visit. Besides a welcome break in the journey. Chose the right country and stay longer.

In General, as part of a holiday and adventure/experience, then yes. Just to break the journey up! then No.

In your situation then I would stopover in each direction as you can go via different airlines for each journey.

I had a dream a while ago before I thought about doing a stopover that I stopped somewhere on the way to australia and I didn't have any jetlag. Lol I hope it was a vision :laugh: Im more worried about the heat and humidity but I'm sure I'll survive. I'm not drinking other than maybe 1 or 2 cocktails at raffles as a treat. It's more just to see a different place in the way and it sounds safer for me than Bangkok

Stacey all alcohol in Singapore is expensive... A Singapore Sling at the Raffles cost me $AUD30.... about 15GBP. But you have to have one.... nice drink but very strong! I felt quite squiffy wandering around town afterwards!

Yeah I already knew alcohol was expensive. I'm not bothered at all about drinking, don't fancy it. I'm sure I'll be drinking quite a bit with this first week in Australia but I was going to have 1 singapore sling. I've never tasted one before though, not sure if Id like it

Thanks guys. I'll definitely be stopping over somewhere on the way back. I wanted to go through Asia on the way home if I can afford it. I'll be a seasoned traveller by then :laugh: I haven't booked anything yet because I'm waiting to hear back from the Aus immigration if they can just cancel my visa the now and then I can reapply before I sort out a flight. Id feel safer that way although I don't expect any problems. My last visa got approved within 2 hours and that was at the weekend. Also - I've found quite a lot of bad reviews about Etihad which made me a bit unsure. If I was going to do a stopover then the other airline was going to be scoot

I haven't flown Etihad but haven't heard bad reports of them either. Family friends came out from UK with Etihad last year and thought they were OK. Scoot is actually a low budget airline owned by Singapore Airlines, and as they are so good, I would assume that Scoot would be likewise.

To be fair I've heard a few people say they are good but all the ones on websites were bad lol. I started thinking should I just pay the extra £50 and just go straight to aus with Singapore airlines. I fancy having a little holiday though if I don't need to spend loads of money. Yeah I figured scoot was like easyjet or something like that

• 1 month later...

So far im definitely going to do the cable ride although I'll probably crap it :laugh: hopefully do the night zoo too. Not sure what else, maybe a boat trip? I've got 2 nights and 3 days but I'll probably spend a good chunk of the thursday at the airport cos it sounds awesome :laugh:

Different people have different tastes. I would go for a walk around Chinatown and Little India - go for a beer and a banana leaf biriyani in the Tekka Centre (Little India) and consider a boat trip over to Batam Island (Indonesia) for lunch - jump on the back of a motorbike to Nagoya when you get to Batam. The cable car is good - if you pay extra for a glass bottomed car you can jump the queues.

I think my hostel is 10 mins away from little India. Food is one thing im worried about.. I am so fussy (boring) I'll end up just eating rice the whole time :laugh: I've heard the satay is nice so I'll prob have that. I'll try my best to try one or two new things. i was going to stay a extra night but the travel agent said that would be enough especially if im trying to save money. So hopefully I'll still manage a few good things. Don't have any interest in going to theme parks or anything like that. My aunt said there's a cool bus tour that takes you around everything like the london one so I'll probably do that

Stacey all alcohol in Singapore is expensive... A Singapore Sling at the Raffles cost me $AUD30.... about 15GBP. But you have to have one.... nice drink but very strong! I felt quite squiffy wandering around town afterwards!

We always drink in one of the many small bars, I can't remember exactly what a bottle of beer was but it was what we thought of as cheap. Raffles is a different matter though.

Food is inexpensive, especially in the hawker markets (e.g. the Tekka Centre). They are clean and safe, so don't worry about food poisoning - go for the stalls with long queues as they will be the best. Singapore is very friendly so if you are bewildered, people will help you.