Am I going in the right direction?

Warren

Hi guys

After being a long time reader of threads on here I decided to start a thread of my own and share my situation which is actually driving me slightly mad with anxiety lol.

My Background

I am 24 years old in Australia on my second WHV (expiring at the end of August) living with my mother who has just gained her citizenship. I love it here and was planning to apply for my partner visa in August, but unfortunately the relationship has broken down. As you can imagine with 2 months to go until my current visa expires, I am pretty anxious about my next step in staying with my mum here in Australia.

Current Plan

So after many talks and phone calls to immigration. I've decided to begin a pathway to starting a teaching career which I had always considered back in the UK. Problem is, the Graduate Diploma in Secondary Teaching course is offering in semester 1 only, which was February 2015. So in order to begin this course I will have to wait until February 2016. Immi told me that a bridging visa was not available for this but i could leave the country e.g NZ for a week and apply for a 651 visitors visa which would enable me to return to Australia for 3 months. This would take me through to November when I can then apply for the course and a Higher Education Visa.

Other than the fact I will be unable to work until I finally receive the student visa I feel that this is a feasible idea.

As I've realised, it's all about planning way ahead when dealing with visa situations here. I hope to graduate and become a qualified secondary teacher. I'd then look at the regional skilled visa 489. I would do this based on having a family member here to sponsor me on the points test when submitting EOI.

Now this all sounds very ambitious and expensive but I feel I need to speculate to accumulate here beginning a career that I want in a place I enjoy with family here.

So I guess I'm just looking for your opinions on this and hopefully anybody that has encountered any parts of my plan and your experiences. Especially any secondary teachers out there or people who have gone through the 489 visa avenue.

Thanks Guys

A couple of things would concern me. Firstly, it is not a given that you would get a tourist visa after two years on a working holiday visa, which is also a visa intended for holiday makers. So you might want to have a back up plan in case that is not granted.

The other query I would have is whether a teaching diploma would be enough to lead to a permanent visa down the line. I understood teachers needed a four year degree to pass a skills assessment, so unless you already have something up your sleeve, you would appear to be falling short of the requirements.

The first thing I would say is, have you checked the skills assessment requirements for teachers? Most occupations require some post qualification experience which is why students rarely can apply for a permanent visa and have to go home.

I am assuming you already have a degree?

Last, there is no guarantee they will grant you a visitors visa as you have already been in the country 2 years.

Sorry guys, knew I would miss something out yes I have a degree already which would enable me to enroll on the postgrad course.

Bungo, I was also concerned about that and the lady at immi said it may just mean that yours takes longer to process 7-10 days. How believable that is I don't know lol

Sorry guys, knew I would miss something out yes I have a degree already which would enable me to enroll on the postgrad course.

Bungo, I was also concerned about that and the lady at immi said it may just mean that yours takes longer to process 7-10 days. How believable that is I don't know lol

You should not take any notice of people in immigration and you certainly should not be seeking advice from them. I guess the only way to find out if you will get the tourist visa is to apply, but people in similar situation before you have been declined.

Archived