Backpack or suitcase?

Guest51810

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in TK Maxx a while ago but never noticed any. I might pop into Glasgow on sunday if my night out is cancelled and have a look.

I found this on amazon - it looks kinda ideal? I really need to learn to pack better like in parleys video. I brought so much to Herm for me and then never used half of it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Prime-Wheeled-Travel-Bag/dp/B007C0MTXM/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1436196891&sr=1-1&keywords=60l+luggage

After many years of trips with backpack or suitcase or both, my five eggs is this - think about where you will actually be travelling . Not the flight/train trip itself, but the terrain between transport stops and hotels or hostels. If you are backpacking in the wilds you may have very rough terrain, dirt roads etc - that will kill the wheels of most suitcases and you will have problems keeping them upright. If you're in a city even streets can be hard on the wheels if you are walking several kms, but a city environment probably is better for cases than a rural one. When I go to Sydney I take a case on wheels - when I'm hiking round Tasmania I take a backpack. Are you planning most of your WHV-ing to be in cities or on farms?

And can you pick up a heavy backpack and get it on your back unaided (eg when you get off a train)?

The hard thing is I honestly don't know where I'll end up. I don't know if I'll do farm work. I definitely want to go visit tasmania though. Sometimes suitcases annoy me because your arm is always trailing dragging it along but I don't have a good back so I don't know what Id be like carrying a backack. I've got a little daypack for work and sometimes if I've got a lot in it then I get a sore back. I took a suitcase to the lake distict with a lot of stuff, it was a old one and it broke. I had to drag it around with the actual material handle instead of long plastic one. I fell off the train :laugh: then I got to glasgow and it was just toppling over every 2 seconds and i missed my train

The hard thing is I honestly don't know where I'll end up. I don't know if I'll do farm work. I definitely want to go visit tasmania though. Sometimes suitcases annoy me because your arm is always trailing dragging it along but I don't have a good back so I don't know what Id be like carrying a backack. I've got a little daypack for work and sometimes if I've got a lot in it then I get a sore back. I took a suitcase to the lake distict with a lot of stuff, it was a old one and it broke. I had to drag it around with the actual material handle instead of long plastic one. I fell off the train :laugh: then I got to glasgow and it was just toppling over every 2 seconds and i missed my train

Are you sure youre not tinks long lost daughter?

• 1 month later...
Hiya

am I better with a backpack or a suitcase? I get back pain sometimes,im not sure how great Id be at lifting a backpack. I'm going to try pack light. All women say that though...

My ambition has always been to put all my gear into a carry on bag. This link is actually an 'infomercial' but it's still interesting to see how this lady packs a carry on bag for a ten day holiday.

You could travel even lighter and kit yourself out in Australia, partly at charity shops, and partly at somewhere like 'Best and Less', 'Target', 'Big W' or the supermarkets, for 'smalls' I'm thinking?

Before I even consider forking out £130 for a osprey backpack with wheels do backback with wheels no hurt a bit.. I imagine the wheels might dig into your back?

I wouldn't buy a backpack with wheels. The wheels add extra weight so that's going to make it heavier to carry - but the biggest problem is toppling over.

I had a duffle bag on wheels which someone recommended to me, and I hated it. Get a strong suitcase and it should sit happily on its wheels without toppling over - get something soft-sided like a backpack or duffel bag and it will topple over when you let it go.

Im just wondering what a suitcase might be like if I go to a farm or maybe somewhere like Bali.

So, are you going to be dragging your suitcase around the farm every day? I don't think so! You'll probably get picked up at the bus station and driven to the farm where there will be a concrete yard, you're hardly going to be traipsing your suitcase through the pigpen or over the fields.

Same goes for Bali - the most likely places you go will be resorts.

My ambition has always been to put all my gear into a carry on bag. This link is actually an 'infomercial' but it's still interesting to see how this lady packs a carry on bag for a ten day holiday.

You could travel even lighter and kit yourself out in Australia, partly at charity shops, and partly at somewhere like 'Best and Less', 'Target', 'Big W' or the supermarkets, for 'smalls' I'm thinking?

i guess that's a idea but I don't really want to spend my time going around clothes shopping. Im not a massive fan of it here either usually. Blokes always seem to be able to survive on only a carry on. Wish I could

i guess that's a idea but I don't really want to spend my time going around clothes shopping. Im not a massive fan of it here either usually. Blokes always seem to be able to survive on only a carry on. Wish I could

Here I am wearing $23 worth of designer clothes.

Travel light Stacey!

If you get a job and a flat, then get done decent clothes.

Here I am wearing $23 worth of designer clothes.

Travel light Stacey!

If you get a job and a flat, then get done decent clothes.

im still going to travel light but I really don't want the stress of going clothes shopping over there. Im really awkward with clothes, things can be hard to fit with my leg length sometimes.

Im looking at this suitcase from Debenhams - im just worried it breaks but someone told me Debenhams is good quality

Scottish Stacey,

I am a suitcase queen and love them but my other half loves backpacks. TBH it does keep your hands free adn more mobile whne dodging around transport systems...

My backpack when I was travelling opened at top and bottom ( it was like a suitcase zip- all round) but 2 sections which was fab... and a mini rucsac as a daypack...

only you will nikow what you like, on hols now we try backpack forst and foremost and suitcase as a backup ( as I dont carry the cases :))