Backpack or suitcase?

Guest51810

Is it a case of booking the return for as far in advance as possible and then when it comes to that month you extend it till it's the full year? If that makes sense?! But do I have to pay the flight difference too. I'll go in and see them on Wednesday or Thursday

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long thread so only read some of it.

We got Karimore travel sacks, this was before Sports Direct bought them out ie when they were still a good brand made to a good standard. They are back packs seem to recall 50l with a zip off additional 15l day pack. The big difference is that the straps had a full cover meaning it is safe on the plane and straps won't get caught up.

Walking shoes, Merrell are great, spend good money to ensure they are comfortable. Merrell can be bought here cheaply.

Thongs are a must during summer, again pay well to ensure they are comfortable. You will get used to them.

When travelling we always invested in good quality chord locks and clasp locks so you can use your case/pack as a safe by locking it to the bed/furniture. Dont bring too much electronics or jewellery.

S

Long thread so only read some of it.

We got Karimore travel sacks, this was before Sports Direct bought them out ie when they were still a good brand made to a good standard. They are back packs seem to recall 50l with a zip off additional 15l day pack. The big difference is that the straps had a full cover meaning it is safe on the plane and straps won't get caught up. When full they are heavy.

Walking shoes, Merrell are great, spend good money to ensure they are comfortable. Merrell can be bought here cheaply.

Thongs are a must during summer, again pay well to ensure they are comfortable. You will get used to them.

When travelling we always invested in good quality chord locks and clasp locks so you can use your case/pack as a safe by locking it to the bed/furniture. Dont bring too much electronics or jewellery.

S

@scottishstacey, did I miss something? Aren't you coming on a WHV?

People are advising you to pack as if you're coming on a summer holiday!

If you're going to be in Australia for a year, you'll need more than just light summer clothes. If you're going to be working, you're going to need some smart work outfits and shoes.

Planning to buy it all when you're here makes no sense if you think about it: sure, you can arrive in (say) Sydney with a nice light pack, but what happens when you're ready to move to your next destination? You'll have to buy another suitcase/backpack to fit all the clothes you've bought in Sydney!

My niece did what you did, and ended up making NO money from her temp jobs because she had to spend all her wages on work clothes (or to be more precise, pay me back the money I lent her to buy work clothes!). You may think you're going to work in bars or cafes but she found the pay awful and the work exhausting - you're much better off registering with temp agencies and getting office work.

She was lucky that she had my place in Sydney as a base, so she didn't have to buy an extra suitcase - as she travelled around, she just took what she really needed each time and left the rest with me. And I gave her an old suitcase to take the extra stuff back to the UK at the end of her trip. If you don't have a base, you'll need to take everything with you from place to place - left luggage doesn't exist and luggage storage places are expensive.

Also it does get cold in Australia - you'll be fine with summer clothes in summer but you will need some light cardis, a fleece and a raincoat.

I suggest buying a suitcase. That means you can buy a backpack to use as your carry-on. A light backpack won't hurt your back, it will enable you to carry all your valuables with you, and you can use it for short trips once you're in Oz. You'll find you'll need to carry more than usual in your carry-on - e.g. you'll need your resume and copies of qualifications etc.

You make a good point about needing clothes for all seasons but I would still pack light and then replace - at lot of stuff will see you through the seasons, cheap stuff will be worn out with 6 months constant wearing & washing anyway or can be sent home - I had to buy warmer (& bigger!) clothes on our reccie trip and just sent a box of summer stuff home.

I think it's unusual for someone to need office smart clothes but good to have a pair of black trousers, leather type shoes and even just a plain long sleeved T to smarten up in if needed.

When you're coming back from Australia you will have to buy your ticket in Australia, and they are far more expensive here. I'm surprised you manage to find one for $600 as ours cost us nearly $1,000. You can't get around it by buying a ticket through a UK site as you won't be allowed to travel on it.

Have you looked into buying a round the world ticket and checking how flexible they are? It used to be that you didn't have to decide where you were going to stop over when you bought, that may have changed. Some of the more basic round the world tickets aren't much dearer than an ordinary return.

http://www.statravel.co.uk/round-the-world-travel.htm?wt.srch=1&wt.mc_id=PPC&gclid=CLKx863SoMYCFSP3wgod_E0A3Q#859

If you think you might stay longer, then you'll need to fulfil regional work requirements and apply for an extension (or stay illegally which is never a good idea), so that takes forward planning anyway - worth looking into it and deciding whether you'd be prepared to do the work that's necessary.

That's what I said, just buy a return Stace, it is 'only' a few hundred, it's minor compared to the money you may make working.

Is it a case of booking the return for as far in advance as possible and then when it comes to that month you extend it till it's the full year? If that makes sense?! But do I have to pay the flight difference too. I'll go in and see them on Wednesday or Thursday

If you buy a flexible fare, then yes you can change the date - but a flexible fare will be more expensive.

Just consider that you're saying you can't afford to waste the return portion if you decide not to come home, but how do you know you'll have enough money to buy the (much more expensive) one-way flight at the end of your holiday - what if you're skint?

I think it's unusual for someone to need office smart clothes but good to have a pair of black trousers, leather type shoes and even just a plain long sleeved T to smarten up in if needed.

I used to be a Facilities Manager and I would never have managed to staff my mailroom and reception desk over the summer holidays without backpackers - and there is no way I'd have allowed them in customer-facing roles without a smart shirt and pants/skirt. So at least in Sydney, there are a lot of backpackers working in offices!

I do agree, I suspect many other backpackers never even think of trying the temp agencies and just scrape by working in pubs and cafes. However based on my niece's experience, it's not the best way to do things - she was able to make a lot more money in temp office work, which meant she didn't have to work nearly so many weeks between trips around Australia.

I suppose if I was getting a return then it would be better to get a flexible one incase I had to come back earlier. Then do I pay the difference if it's more expensive on that date? Pfft. If only the flights were as cheap as thailand :(

Check when you go into an STA bureau, think you said you were going to go in one shortly? Unless things have changed you should be able to change a date of return, once you have used the outward journey. Airlines will usually make a charge for this, but might well be cheaper than paying for a more flexible ticket?

Ask what different airlines charge to change a return Flt. might help to decide who to fly with.

Also Stacey don't just take what one travel,agent quotes you. Check out Trail Finders, they have a good name.

Edited by ramot

Can you still purchase open return tickets? I used to buy them years ago when I visited Scotland when the kids were toddlers. That way you weren't fixed to a certain return date.

Don't tthink they are available these days, but worth Stacey checking.

Edited by ramot

I'll ring them up again today and ask about a return. I'm sure the last time they phoned me they said it was around £900 or £1000 but I think I phoned before herm so that was ages ago. I've also got a flight co-ordinator as part of the package I booked so I'll see what price/options they give me too

I booked a return 8 months in advance i booked it online and put the return date for 3 months later - november. I actually wanted to return for may the next year but couldnt book the return that far ahead. In july, a month before i was due to fly to aus, I rang up and asked to change the return date to the following may. From memory i dont remember being charged. Then in aus once i realised i had to come home sooner ( in december, a month after my original return date) again they changed it with no charge.

Oh wow that's good. Maybe I should ring up etihad then.

I think you guys are right about getting a return that's possibly flexible. There's a very small chance I might want to come back in July instead of November but it'll prob be november. Do you think november to july would be enough to see a decent amount or do you think Id spend most of it just working to save enough for the next part of travelling. Hope that makes sense!

That was with singapore airlines. Not sure about others!

You could travel for months and months but i reckon six months working and six months traveling would be ideal.

you wouldnt be able to travel for 8 months without working( on the funds youre coming with). but if you are going to work you wouldnt want to spend more than half the time youre out working. Make it a 50/50 thing eveb if youre only here for 8 months. I would do the full year if you can help it.

forgot to say that price was flying from glasgow to london then london to sydney. All connecting. He said that i can also change it to any airport I want - australia, New Zealand, wherever. But obviously I still have to pay the flight difference. Does anybody have a boat i can borrow instead lol

They all seem to be around the 900 mark, I think you'll have pay that roughly who ever you fly with, just checked Malaysia Airlines and that was roughly the same. It's still better than paying a fortune for a one way back home from Aus though.

Yeah he said returns were better too unless I have forward travel in mind.