Medicare and Private Health Insurance on a 457

jrobertson17

Hi All.

I'm currently putting my application together which will be work sponsored. I'm struggling to get my head around the exact requirements for medical cover, from what I can find the UK has a reciprocal health agreement with Australia allowing uk citizens access to medicare, but is this only for people on a PR visa as the agency processing my application has asked for proof of medical cover. If I do need private medical covercan anyone comment on their experiences with the different providers. We are a family of 4 with children aged 10 and 7.

Many thanks

Jamie

You need to take out private cover in order to get the visa granted.

Once you are in Australia, you could stop the cover if you so wished, as reciprocal cover would be available to you.

Just bear in mind that Australian medicare is not the same as the NHS and also depending on your earnings there is extra tax to pay if you do not hold private medical insurance.

You only need private health cover for visa purposes until you apply for Medicare. Once you have Medicare you can cancel the private health coverage, but as Bungo said, you may wish to consider keeping it if it covers gaps that Medicare doesn't or if it means you can get the Medicare levy surcharge refunded.

Exactly that. We cancelled and just used Medicare after getting here without any dramas. However I have a friend who was turned down for vital surgery as she was told the code wasn't covered on reciprocal Medicare on her 457, fortunately she had private too so was covered.

Here's a follow-on question:

I registered for reciprocal medicare when I got here a few years ago. I then got a 457, which required that I got private health cover and I ultimately got some basic package from Bupa.

Much later, I noticed that my temporary medicare card was only valid for 6 or 12 months and had long since expired. Should I re-apply for reciprocal medicare cover or will the cover I get from Bupa be enough?

Here's a follow-on question:

I registered for reciprocal medicare when I got here a few years ago. I then got a 457, which required that I got private health cover and I ultimately got some basic package from Bupa.

Much later, I noticed that my temporary medicare card was only valid for 6 or 12 months and had long since expired. Should I re-apply for reciprocal medicare cover or will the cover I get from Bupa be enough?

Look at it this way, there is no downside to registering for medicare.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...