Stopover??

Guest51810

So I was on skyscanner earlier and also on the phone to sta travel. While mucking around on skyscanner ive found that it would be cheaper to fly via Thailand than it would be to go from Edinburgh to Australia via abu dhabi - £130 cheaper. Do you think it would be worth stopping over in Bangkok for a few nights to break the journey up or should I just continue the other way? I like the idea of a stopover but i'm not sure Bangkok would be my kind of thing although its only for a couple of nights anyway

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure I would meet people in the hostel same way as I would in Australia. Went to London alone as a female and it didn't bother me at all. I would love all the temples etc but don't have much interest in the sleazy part lol. It only really popped into my head when I was looking for alternative routes. I might just do thailand on the way home instead

My brother and his family lived in Thailand for years so I often visited. He lived in a very nice area away from what you call sleaze. Bangkok is a great city for people watching :cool: You would hate the heat there though Stacey. The coolest months are December and Jan.

My brother and his family lived in Thailand for years so I often visited. He lived in a very nice area away from what you call sleaze. Bangkok is a great city for people watching :cool: You would hate the heat there though Stacey. The coolest months are December and Jan.

Oh I thought I read that november was a good time. I'll have to get used to heat sooner or later. Can't pussy foot around it for the full year :(

£10 for a private room. Jeeze I should be going to thailand instead of australia lol

To be honest I had a better time in SE Asia than oz as a backpacker for said reason.

When you looking at flying? Have you looked at Glasgow? Even Manchester is worth pricing up as cheap train from Edinburgh

Edited by Guest

I've had loads of stopovers in Asia, including Thailand. I had 3 days there and stayed at http://newjoeguesthouse.com just off Khaosan Road (Backpackers area) in Bangkok. I got a twin bedded room to myself with aircon and a small bathroom/toilet for less than £5 (2004). The staff are very friendly and there's a cafeteria (amazing food) and a bar. Whatever you do ignore the Tuk Tuk drivers, it's a well known scam on the pretext of getting you to temples etc….via jewellers where they get commission! They will come out with all sorts of things like the temples are closed for lunch etc etc etc. Monorail system is great, as is travelling on the river by small ferry boats. Fit in a trip to Chanthaburi (River Kwai) if you can, road trip there and train back. Sleazy area is worth strolling around just to see the street parades that are put on. It was very entertaining seeing a dozen Thai guys in orange hot pants and vests dancing to 'It's raining men'………not as good as Kylie in her hot pants though!

So I was on skyscanner earlier and also on the phone to sta travel. While mucking around on skyscanner ive found that it would be cheaper to fly via Thailand than it would be to go from Edinburgh to Australia via abu dhabi - £130 cheaper. Do you think it would be worth stopping over in Bangkok for a few nights to break the journey up or should I just continue the other way? I like the idea of a stopover but i'm not sure Bangkok would be my kind of thing although its only for a couple of nights anyway

I'm sure you can find out all the necessary on line. Bangkok is a major traveller stop over. Has been for decades. Khaosan Road being the western ghetto in the midst of a large and traffic snarled city. Handy location though. All you need. Loads of travellers. Walk to river take river ferry. Close to temples. Cheap. What's not to like. Stay longer and get out into the country. All can be arranged from that location with regards transit. Some great islands/beaches.Full Moon Party being the big pull for young travellers.

Much cheaper and far better value than Australia. You could even go to Laos (one of my favourite) or Cambodia.

South East Asia is all easy travel and best for beginners.

I've had loads of stopovers in Asia, including Thailand. I had 3 days there and stayed at http://newjoeguesthouse.com just off Khaosan Road (Backpackers area) in Bangkok. I got a twin bedded room to myself with aircon and a small bathroom/toilet for less than £5 (2004). The staff are very friendly and there's a cafeteria (amazing food) and a bar. Whatever you do ignore the Tuk Tuk drivers, it's a well known scam on the pretext of getting you to temples etc….via jewellers where they get commission! They will come out with all sorts of things like the temples are closed for lunch etc etc etc. Monorail system is great, as is travelling on the river by small ferry boats. Fit in a trip to Chanthaburi (River Kwai) if you can, road trip there and train back. Sleazy area is worth strolling around just to see the street parades that are put on. It was very entertaining seeing a dozen Thai guys in orange hot pants and vests dancing to 'It's raining men'………not as good as Kylie in her hot pants though!

Just keep your defences up against the lady boys. Deadly when provoked.

Edited by flag of convenience

But as a single female in Thailand staying in a hostel would you feel safe?

Loads of single females of all ages in Thailand as there is across Asia. They don't tend to remain single long unless desired to be left that way. Travel lite. No hardship besides crossing the road and Thai drivers and some dangerous sea currents and falling coconuts not forgetting enraged prostitutes or over friendly lady/boys and golden rule for a safe unblemished return is never make a Thai lose face....All good. Easy country.

Yes!!!! I'm a great believer in having a stopover anytime I fly more than about 10 hours - it's a perfevct opportunity to take in the sites of a new country without it having to be your main holiday of the year! We're having a 3 week stopover on our way to Australia taking in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Kuala Lumpur.

If you're going to be stopping in Bangkok I'd probably try and book more than 1 night just becuase it gives you a little longer to climatise and there's quite a bit to see and do in Bangkok, plus lots of yummy food!

ALso, don't bother booking your flights through STA as they'll only put a mark up on it - i'd maybe let STA do the research and tell you the airlines but then just book it yourself direct through the airlines website and save yourself ever more money!!

I went to Bangkok by myself when I did my "late gap year" as a 30 something. No problems whatsoever, plenty to do for a few days and I wouldn't hesitate to take a tuk tuk, it is part of the fun! If I could stopover anywhere for a few days, then Hong Kong would be my pick though.

To be honest I had a better time in SE Asia than oz as a backpacker for said reason.

When you looking at flying? Have you looked at Glasgow? Even Manchester is worth pricing up as cheap train from Edinburgh

I'm looking at november at the moment. Yeah I've looked at glasgow, glasgows easier for me but the flights are coming up for 38 hours for some reason. I can get a 24 hour one from edinburgh with etihad for £560 i think.

When I looked at other ways to get there the flight to thailand was coming in at around £300 or £320 with etihad and then around £110 with air asia. I haven't a clue what air Asia are like lol. It was just an idea. I'll have to think about it more

We're flying with Air Asia from Kuala Lumpur to Sydney, but had paid about an extra £100 for the flat bad in business class!

We've flown internally in Thailand and Malaysia loads of times with Air Asia and they are great - just the same as Easyjet really but more comfortable seats and better staff. If it means saving a lot of money I would definitely book with them

I lived in Bangers as it is often called.

It is a wonderful city with something for everyone. It is incredibly cheap to spend time in as it is one of the few places in the world where you can eat from the little street vendors safely. In fact, some of the best food in Thailand is from the little street vendors - just look for the ones that are busy with local people.

It is as safe a place to be as a single female as any major city in the world. In fact, my experience was that violent type crime is fairly rare. Pickpocketing and scams are much more the Thai way.

There is masses to see. My favourites include

The main palace

The sleeping budha

The barge museum

The floating market is ok, but pretty touristy.

A trip down the river by long tailed boat is good fun

And of course, the night markets. No trip to Bangers should miss Pat Pong Road - the main sex street with a night market running the legnth - just for the experience of seeing the road even if you dont partake in a show lol.

Thanks guys. I just spoke to someone from on here who's not long been in thailand and he said you can spend £20 a day but he spends £35. His £35 gets him loads of beer, loads of food and a Thai massage. So i could definitely do it cheaper because I don't drink much. I've never tried Thai food before so that should be interesting. I definitely want a Thai massage, I almost got one instead of my hot stone massage.

I've just remembered that my second cousin is living in thailand at the moment, been there since last year I think. So I'll message him and ask a few things. I would absolutely love to stay a full month in Thailand but it probably would eat into my Australia budget too much. Just incase I don't find work easily