Buying in Langwarrin - what parts to avoid???

RachelGreep

As always, I know this is a tricky question but I need honest answers on which areas of Langwarrin to avoid. We only have a small budget for a house - $380,000 tops. We have seen a lot of houses in Langwarrin and I know this is a mixed bag but the ones we like have been towards Langwarrin South but still closer to Centre Road, North Road and Warrandyte Road area. Are these ok areas for a family? Is there trouble with groups of teenagers in this part as I have been told the parts of Langwarrin towards Karingal are to be avoided if buying your own place.

Can anyone give me some honest answers/opinions on the area? We saw some really cheap, good houses in Cranbourne but when we spoke about them to Aussie friends they were flat out no way unless it's an investment property to rent out. Shame really as Cranbourne could be a great place to live if it didn't have such a bad reputation.

I a bit surprised to hear that there are houses around there for $380,000.

Our budget is below $380,000. We can't go over that amount is what I mean. Do you know what the area is like? Any advice on this part of Langwarrin would be really helpful. The house we saw today is around $350,000.

Thanks.

Only to drive through.

Have driven my kids to lots of football games around Karingal, Seaford, Langwarrin etc.

I think it would be fine.

Better than Frankston.

If you could get in Frankston South or Mount Eliza it would be nicer I think.

The areas you mention are ok but of course there are lots of young people around as there are in all Melbourne suburbs such as these. You can usually tell from the street what sort of area it is. Also when looking nip around after school and in the evening and weekends as you get more idea of the area. People tend to both work these days so seeing a house in the day during the week all suburbs look ok and quiet.

Langwarrin is cheaper but I think the main reason is that its not close to the beach, transport is bus and you would need two cars. The further from shops and infrastructure the cheaper the housing is.

Pindara estate does not allow cats so be aware that there are covenants on some of the subdivisions which restrict your use of the land. Make sure you familiarise yourself with these.

Sky is another area that is quite popular but once again its transport.

Langwarrin you would have to drive to the Monash or Eastlink or down to the Frankston Rail Station.

There are a couple of shopping centres lots of doctors, great sports physio where I go.

There is cheaper housing even in Frankston, Somerville, Tyabb, Mornington but houses in this price range in these areas are usually small 30 years old but on good size land and they need renovation or extention. Good entry level housing with all the infrastructure in place. Do not get that with the new build estates.

Just to add basically the price is just land value as the land is usually 800 sq metres which is larger than blocks that are around these days.

Good luck

Edited by Petals

OK, so Langwarrin doesn't sound great then. I thought we'd be OK renting but it is not for my other half so he really wants us to get our own place. He's happy to get a house that needs some work done so no problem there. I just can seem to get an idea of where to avoid (apart from the usual don't live in Dandenong) so when I see properties in our price range they're either somewhere not so nice, too far away or in the middle of nowhere. Don't know how new build estates work anyway because we couldn't afford to rent and pay mortgage while waiting however long for the house to be built.

Gone off topic now. So, Langwarrin not so great? Don't like Frankston really either

Apart from the parts we can't afford!!! Some amazing houses with that view.

We do go round for a look in the evening but most places seem pretty quiet. Kids are usually at the skate park.

As I said Langwarrin is ok its the transport all that stuff. It sounds as though you want the house with in good area (as in transport, infrastructure etc) at a cheap price. Everyone wants that but it is not possible.

Have a look at some houses in Langwarrin and areas around, you don't like Frankston but good Frankston is expensive just the same as anywhere else. Use a property as a stepping stone most of us who own houses have done this. Buying something we can afford and gives us a decent standard of living, waiting till we are able to move on.

My mums friend who is 97 lives right in Frankston in a street off Cranbourne Road, walking distance to the station and she never has a problem has lived there for yonks. Mum used to live opposite the new pool in a unit until she was 88 and she was fine and it was so easy for her to get the train to the city when she wanted to go.

I have several friends who have bought houses in Langwarrin mainly because of the value for money factor. They love it.

Indeed. I have a huge circle of English friends who live in Langwarrin and enjoy their lives there.

If I had your budget I would definitely buy there.

BB

Yes, our budget means we can't live in a desirable area as such. Some have asked us why we moved to the other side of the world and end up in Langy. Well, it's a million times better than the life and area we left behind. I just don't want to buy a house somewhere that people know is a bad area only to find out too late. Langwarrin is affordable, has shops, primary and secondary school and we can afford a house there. We have 2 cars so that's OK. We're just trying to keep our options open as the houses in our price range are snapped up fast and rented out by the looks of it. So if we don't look in more areas we might miss out on our own place. It is getting our own place but making sure our kids have a safe neighbourhood with a decent primary/secondary and a garden.

Hi RachelGreep, I'm in Langwarrin and have been for almost 3 years. Can't really think of any 'bad' areas, although the area known as 'Leafy' Langwarrin looks a little more tired to me. I'm just off Northgateway not far from the shopping centre and all seems pretty quiet. We like the area, and it's only a 10 minute drive from the beach at Frankston. Haven't really encountered any gangs of youths, although a new Macca's opened recently so may be a few more kids hanging around early evening. From what I've seen though, you don't tend to see gangs of kids, not like in Manchester! Still get a bit of graffiti and litter, but that could be said of anywhere. There was an article in the leader paper a few weeks ago about how Langwarrin and Skye properties have increased in value, and demand due to location and access to the peninsula freeway. I'd say it's a good place to buy, we bought about 18 months ago, but it's an older style which needed work. You could probably get a decent 3 bed within your budget, but I'd look around the top end of Langwarrin. Potts road/Woodlands area is quite popular and seems nice, we viewed a few over that way when we were looking and there are new units being built as well. Let me know if you need any more info. Good Luck

Guest The Pom Queen

Rachel Cranbourne had a bad reputation years ago when it was called crimebourne. Since all the new housing estates went in it has really changed and the new shopping centre is lovely. I like Cranbourne and could happily live there but not in the centre itself where there are a lot of older houses. You will find a lot of members live in Cranbourne and have since they moved over and love it.

Yup! I got the Crimebourne reference when I mentioned it. I guess it must have been earned somehow. I was in the new shopping centre. The new part looks great.

What part of Langwarrin is 'leafy Langwarrin'? I'm not sure. The house we went to see was just along from Elisabeth Murdoch College. Thanks :)

Most of the areas around now have community pages on Facebook which are helpful if you want to find out the nitty gritty about an area. You can also gauge what how the schools etc are. Pearcedale has one, Somerville has one and I guess Langwarrin will have a page also.

Around Elizabeth Murdoch is ok Warrandyte Drive leads to acreage properties and country areas. I am not that keen on the McLelland Drive side of Langwarrin just after Karingal Hub.

AS far as i know, leafy Langwarrin is the part north of cranbourne road between mcclelland drive and potts road.

It used to be the site of an old tip somewhere in there!

A while ago there were concerns of gasses being emitted that people were up in arms about, i havent heard anything about that for years now though........

Sand quarries etc around there as well but that area is closer to Skye and Carrum Downs than Langwarrin. Langwarrin stretches right along Cranbourne Road to the Western Port Highway and the south side around Centre Road there are a lot of nice houses etc. McLelland Drive is very busy as well even with the freeway between Carrum Downs and Cranbourne Road.

Noticed that houses are selling very quickly in Somerville and any area that is close to Peninsula Link. There are cheaper homes about 300 but they get snapped up by investors and home buyers as soon as they come on the market. Also developers who want to put units on the land as the blocks are larger.

Edited by Petals

• 3 years later...