owensfamily

Gymnastics and Horse riding

We maybe moving to Melbourne in Jan next year and I've been looking at activities for our two daughters, Ella is a 8 year old keen gymnast who currently trains 14 hours a week and competes at Regional level, Jess is a 10 year old who adores horse riding which she does at least once a week.

When we validated our visa's almost two years ago, we went to Sydney, Ella went to gymnastics for the three weeks we were in Sydney and the facilities were amazing. Jess went horse riding too and again great facilities. We loved Sydney but are looking at Melbourne as it seems more affordable and I think the climate would suit better.

So gymnastics first - what are the best clubs - not just facilities but how the club is run, coaching (I'm actually a qualified Gym coach too), costs? I've looked at Waverley and they look really good does anybody have any kids there?

Horse riding - Valley Park Riding - anybody use them or other options in Melbourne? Again feedback if you have used them would be great

Hi Im in QLD but also a Gym coach, my daughter does 12 hrs a week and is training for Level 6, she is hoping to go to States this year as Level 5 but Gym Qld havent released a qualifying score yet so we are competing 'blind' at the moment, her fee's are around $450 per term based on a 10 week term, Registration is $65 per year. Australia had big changes this year with the WAG programme and the whole curriculum changed, including routines,some skill execution and scoring etc.

Waverley is a good club and well heard of so you wouldnt go far wrong being there. This is the official gymnastics website for that area. It will give you access to all the clubs around there and also archived scores if you want to see who are bringing in the top scores at Sanctioned comps, http://vic.gymnastics.org.au/

Are you going to get your accreditation converted and coach over here?

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Hi Im in QLD but also a Gym coach, my daughter does 12 hrs a week and is training for Level 6, she is hoping to go to States this year as Level 5 but Gym Qld havent released a qualifying score yet so we are competing 'blind' at the moment, her fee's are around $450 per term based on a 10 week term, Registration is $65 per year. Australia had big changes this year with the WAG programme and the whole curriculum changed, including routines,some skill execution and scoring etc.

Waverley is a good club and well heard of so you wouldnt go far wrong being there. This is the official gymnastics website for that area. It will give you access to all the clubs around there and also archived scores if you want to see who are bringing in the top scores at Sanctioned comps, http://vic.gymnastics.org.au/

Are you going to get your accreditation converted and coach over here?

Cal x

Hi Cal, appreciate the information. When we were in Sydney then assessed her and put her in the IDP for her age and overall it appeared gymnastics is taken far more professionally than back here in the UK especially for kids that want to do more than just rec gym. I think in Sydney it was working out to be around $700 per term so if the costs are anything like QLD in VIC then I'd be happy, although I did look at some of the comp leotards for Waverley $330!!! and I thought the £65 we paid for the last one here to be expensive.

I would love to carry on coaching but it depends on how it works with the employment I get, it works well know as my job is pretty flexible - how do the qualification converted, is it just praticals? or logbooks as well?

Lots of the bigger clubs work to the IDP , we are smaller so follow the ALP. Id imagine Waverley is a tad more in fee's than our club,lol, you can get the sporting kids grant which pays a good chip off one term's fee's so bear that in mind. Lots of clubs use Sylvia P for leo's so $150 plus is the norm. I buy from The Zone and Milano when i can, so maybe an idea to stockplie some leo's to bring with you for her training lessons.

I did all my training and accreditation here so not really sure on converting but plenty of oversea's coaches about so i cannot see it being a big deal (although it is Australia so you never know,lol)

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...