Six weeks back - my impressions (warning, whinge)

Marisawright

How much would you pay for a week or two from Oz to say a greek island?Or Morroco or Sri Lanka?

How much would you pay from UK to go to Fiji, Bali, NZ?

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

64 pence for a kilo of bananas in tesco lol dearer in UK my eye ! 2 weeks in port a Rico fully inclusive for my son his mrs and baby 800 quid :)

Case closed. May as well shut the thread.

Case closed. May as well shut the thread.

And ms why is that ! If ya like I'll take pictures next time I'm in tesco ! I know I can work it out ! Beaches sunshine oz has well just sunshine UK have beautiful beaches Isle of Man Cornwall Newquay Isle of Wight ! And Europe ! And lots more ! But sunshine yes ! Tenby Pembrookshire stunning !

Edited by Shellybingobingo

And my nextie has 4 bunches ripening as well and they are free, as well.

Cheers, Bobj.

thanks bobj , that's really kind of you ! If I lived nearer you I would have some but I think you live in McKay or something like that I read and that's miles away from me lol :) but thanks haven't u got neighbours who will take them :) I take it ya grow ya own :) I eat about 4 bananas a day aswell !

Edited by Shellybingobingo

Come on ! be fair, $5 for a cooked breakfast is usually cheap even by Aus standards. We've shopped around and pay around $12 for a good one.

All I'm saying it is possible to get a good brekkie for a decent price

Bear in mind it depend hugely where you are, and whether the price includes coffee/tea.

The brekkie we get comes with a glass of orange juice

UK is cheaper don't care what anyone says it's cheaper eucalyptus oil dearer which is a bummer ! lol but for ya day to day things it's far cheaper , eating out cheaper and better quality for the money !

When we lived in the UK we earned a wage in pounds and lived a reasonable life style

Now in Aus we earn $'s and we have a much better life style

I have made a point of comparisons too . Fifi 69 , and I carny get a cucumber for 39 pence :) and I have shopped till I've dropped ! :)and pigged out lol not that I'm bothered about the cost either way but I am bothered for quality and variety ! And bothered that a cucumber can some times be 3:98 dollars :)

Cucumbers can be expensive yes

But sometimes not and only last week they were $1

I think that comparing the prices between the two countries is like comparing chalk and cheese. The wages earned in each country goes hand in hand with the cost of living and when you add the varying exchange rate to the equation it becomes impossible to really compare prices. But l must say that a beer in Perth is expensive.

We earn more money here in Australia than we did in the UK (lots more)

We have a much better standard of living in Australia than the UK

It is possible you know

We're not all the same

If you wanna make this a tit for tat thread

How much is petrol?????

The UK is great and you can have a life

Guess what It's also possible to do the same in Australia

Edited by HelensvaleHoward

I found the UK the same as the op when I first married and returned to live in UK all those years ago. I agree with everything they say. Those of you who don't obviously like different things and live different lives. We are all different and I like nice stuff and nice things and was used to it. So I did not like it living on a lower wage etc etc etc. Hence we came to live in Aus which my oh always wanted, he was at sea so he had visited a lot of countries and he never wanted to live in the UK anymore

Its defensive and normal for people to never agree, who has not bought something, had some work done, only to be told you paid that, I got it much cheaper. I have builders here at the minute excellent builders doing a great job and get told oh that is too expensive, what a load of codswallop, you gets what you pay for in life.

I have always thought we cannot return after many many years and settle, that is most of us, there are the exceptions.

My friend who is a New Zealander has retired to NZ her home, she has not lived there for nearly 50 years, what happened, she hates it, she hates the house, she hates the tax on her income which does not happen here in Aus. She hates the health system and she hated it so much she ended up having a nervous breakdown and in hospital.

The pond is never better than the one we are in for a long time.

I hope the OP settles but if you don't just put it down to experience and return.

I hope my friend returns from New Zealand we have been friends since we were in our teens.

JockInTas....speaking of dining out.... have you seen Ghost Rock vineyard between you & Port Sorell? I hear they are opening a restaurant too. I LOVE their wine. Interested to know what the food is like!

Yes, been a few times - love the wine there too! It's not really a restaurant as such - platters of nibblies but very nice indeed.

http://ghostrock.com.au/facilities/cellar-door-menu/

Well good for you Howard ! I haven't a better standard of living but no worse neither ! It's not just about standard of living for me anyway ! Petrol is dearer in UK u have to be a complete muppet if u don't know that anyway ! We know it's possible to have a life in Australia no one said it wasn't , but I miss everything as well about home nothing wrong with that ! And I'm sitting here cuddling my sons Bassett hound and I'm going be gutted next week ! And I bathed my grandson every night since being here he comes to me and gives me kisses and calls me nannie I'm going have my heart ripped out next week :( and it's not just cucumbers is it salad full stop is dear ! Overly priced ! I still pay it I'm just saying ! !

Stopped off at the bull in ditching yesterday, as we'd been for a long walk and we needed the toilet. Bought a couple of drinks, pint of London stout and a pint of diet coke. £7.40. Nearly wet myself. Needless to say we didn't eat there.

If we buy something like a sofa we'll wait for a sale. We actually bought ours from an ex display place up north. We'd seen the sofas in dfs, so we knew they were comfy. They cost under £250, over £800. retail.

We always order cheap when we eat out. Never have starters, share a desert. We rarely drink out as that's were the profits are. We often breakfast at a chain near us, as they let the kids eat free. Works out a fiver each, with unlimited drinks and toast etc, plus a good full English. If we want to spoil ourselves we'll go somewhere more upmarket, but it will be top quality for under a tenner. I had similar in ellenbrook for about the same.

Trains I always get my mother in law to book. Somehow she manages to get Brighton to London with tube for under a tenner. Witchcraft or canny use of the internet. Not sure how you would get from ellenbrook to Perth on public transport.

When I was in Perth eighteen months ago it blew my budget. Everything costs the earth. But the exchange rate was rubbish. When I go back there in six months time, I expect to pay half as much.

I would say, on current exchange rates, there's not a lot in it. Of course there is the tourist effect, and the new arrival effect. When you don't know where to shop, or you have to buy now and pay the going price. (You buy cars second hand in march September when the new plates come out and there's loads of tradeins.

Come on guys, keep it real, this is a dynamic world.

I'm 25kms out of Perth's CBD.. I pay $11 a pint and a pint of coke is about 12-13 dollars .. Grand total of around 23/24 bucks for 2 drinks